Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HSA Is A Failure
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/205145...answered/2
Quote:To some extent, yesterday seemed like a game of smoke and mirrors. The technology improvements that AMD spoke about the most aren’t the areas where it expects to earn revenue going forward. It’s all well and good to talk about future APUs that offer “multi-teraflops for HPC and workstation,” but this ignores a very simple fact: 15 months after Kaveri launched, there are no HSA-enabled applications. The HSA Foundation’s Web page for featured applications literally points to a parking page for WordPress themes. That’s embarrassing.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
OpenCL was going to take over CUDA, Mantle was going to revolutionize gaming, ATi was going to have hardware accelerated physics.........

Does the tired old tune sound familiar?  Nothing that AMD/ATi says will change or revolutionize the industry ever does, well not for them at least.... Big Grin
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(05-08-2015, 11:41 PM)gstanford Wrote: OpenCL was going to take over CUDA, Mantle was going to revolutionize gaming, ATi was going to have hardware accelerated physics.........

Does the tired old tune sound familiar?  Nothing that AMD/ATi says will change or revolutionize the industry ever does, well not for them at least....  Big Grin

What about the "omnipotent" APU in PS4 you're always fapping on Greg? To hear you tell it that is the most powerful gaming device ever created.

(instead of an impotent little piece of junk that slightly less of a piece of junk than MS's little piece of junk)
I've never called AMD's APU's omnipotent, nor praised them, I've merely said that the PS4 GPU is more powerful than that in the XBONE (true statement).

It is the most powerful console GPU to date no matter how you spin it.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
It's sad that a reincarnated 7870 is the most powerful console gpu at this point. It's such old technology and is underpowered. It can't even run the games at 1080p.
(05-10-2015, 03:25 AM)SickBeast Wrote: It's sad that a reincarnated 7870 is the most powerful console gpu at this point. It's such old technology and is underpowered. It can't even run the games at 1080p.

Yet millions and millions of people happily game on PS4s/PS3s/Xbones/360s.

We think about gaming in terms of the PC market.

The console gamers don't riot when they don't hit 1080p.

We've been conditioned to want/expect high res/high AA/etc- they have not because console GPUs are always weak sauce.

5...4....3....2...1......Annnnnnnd....

Gstanford post about PS4 running 60% of it's games at 1080p instead of 40% like XBone is the game changer/deal maker/most wonderful thing to happen since air conditioning.

Consoles are a different kind of market. Things like PS4's Vue, XBone and SlingTV, the gimmicky motion cameras, OTA DVR on XBone- all that stuff matters to a console buyer.

If they actually bought for gaming like we do , they'd all be jumping off building and bridges.

Eye candy CAN'T be their deal maker. NOBODY really offers it. Just different grades of "meh".
Quote:The console gamers don't riot when they don't hit 1080p.

Quote:Gstanford post about PS4 running 60% of it's games at 1080p instead of 40% like XBone is the game changer/deal maker/most wonderful thing to happen since air conditioning.

Console gamers know when a serious effort is being made or not and they side with the party making a serious effort. The PS4 has been more of a serious effort this generation than XBONE and console gamers "rioted" with their wallets to Sony's benefit....

(05-11-2015, 04:49 AM)gstanford Wrote:
Quote:The console gamers don't riot when they don't hit 1080p.

Quote:Gstanford post about PS4 running 60% of it's games at 1080p instead of 40% like XBone is the game changer/deal maker/most wonderful thing to happen since air conditioning.

Console gamers know when a serious effort is being made or not and they side with the party making a serious effort.  The PS4 has been more of a serious effort this generation than XBONE and console gamers "rioted" with their wallets to Sony's benefit....

Sort of.

In the USA, the only place that really matters to me, XBones have always been about on parity with PS4s for sales.

I guess it's nice if Sony sells 2:1 in countries like France or England, but as my son isn't playing those kids, it's outside my reality.

He still only plays the PS4 when he plays his one friend who has one, all the other kids have XBones.
Quote:In the USA, the only place that really matters to me, XBones have always been about on parity with PS4s for sales.

No the XBONE has NOT been on sales parity with PS4 in the USA, now or ever.

(05-11-2015, 05:42 PM)gstanford Wrote:
Quote:In the USA, the only place that really matters to me, XBones have always been about on parity with PS4s for sales.

No the XBONE has NOT been on sales parity with PS4 in the USA, now or ever.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2...-november/

Quote:Xbox One Outsells PS4 For November

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/xbox-one-ou...-back-350/

Quote:Xbox One outsold PS4 in December as Microsoft drops console price back to $349

I see what you mean....

I can't believe you can't hook an external USB3 HDD up to PS4s. How cheesy is that?!
You don't need to hook an external drive up to a PS4 because you can replace the internal drive with one that has whatever capacity you desire, something you can't do on the XBONE.  Now who's cheesy, Limburger brand no less?!

One month sales is not representative of the 17 months or so total both systems have been on the market, and that was the ONLY month that happened, despite M$ keeping the discounted price for a month or two afterward. XBONE is nowhere near "sales parity with PS4".

[Image: image.jpg]

[Image: image.jpg]

Keep the lies up and your username will be editted to Trollo.....

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/...ve-1285428

Quote:Set aside 40 minutes and you can easily double or quadruple your console's storage.

Huh. Took me a whole minute to plug an external into my sons XBone.

Quote:What you'll need:
•1x PS4
•1x Phillips screwdriver
•1x 2.5-inch SATA HDD
•1x USB stick (8GB preferred) or 1x FAT32 USB HDD
•1x laptop or PC with internet
•1x PS4 controller
•1x microUSB cable
•Step one: Buying the HDD

Here's my "what I needed" list for Xbone: the hard drive.

Quote:It also needs to be under 9.5mm tall thanks to the size of the caddy that lives inside the PS4, which protects the drive and keeping it in place. This does prove to be a little limiting as, at the time of writing at least, lots of 2TB hard drives are a shade too chunky.

No limits with external and the XBone, and I got to keep the 500GB it came with, and not open the box.

Quote:Got the hard drive? The next step is to backup anything you definitely don't want to lose on your PS4.

Didn't have to back up anything with the XBone, it's all still there.

Quote:The bad news is that you can't backup game installs. Your home internet will just have to take a beating to reinstall the lot.

Face it Greg- this is just inferior. WAY better to install external USB3, as many as you like, as big as you like.

(05-12-2015, 08:41 AM)gstanford Wrote: Keep the lies up and your username will be editted to Trollo.....

Even your own numbers for NORTH AMERICA (not the USA, which is what I said) show the PS4 and XBone pretty close.

Go ahead and edit my name if you like. Then you, Dave, and Ocre can be the only 3 people posting here.

It's this sort of abuse of mod power (by Apoppin) that killed this site and drove it from good web traffic numbers all the way down to a 1,200,000 rank and his site to a 12,000,000 rank.

"Wah. This is MY sandbox! Wah! Don't say things I don't like to hear!" Wah!" can be done, but with tech websites dropping like flies and almost every poster here already driven out, sure you want to go there Greg?
You don't need 40 minutes or anything remotely like it to upgrade a PS4.  I've done it for my sisters family.  5 mins tops.

You need the PS4, the latest firmware on a USB drive a screwdriver and the new drive.  Nothing else.

You back your saves up to the cloud, which is tied to your account so its nice and automatic.

Your internet doesn't need to take any beatings when you have the games on disc.

Nothing inferior about it.  Less clutter in the lounge (no external drive, no extra wall warts, no power and USB cables).

Quote:Go ahead and edit my name if you like. Then you, Dave, and Ocre can be the only 3 people posting here.

It's this sort of abuse of mod power (by Apoppin) that killed this site and drove it from good web traffic numbers all the way down to a 1,200,000 rank and his site to a 12,000,000 rank.

"Wah. This is MY sandbox! Wah! Don't say things I don't like to hear!" Wah!" can be done, but with tech websites dropping like flies and almost every poster here already driven out, sure you want to go there Greg?

You would be no loss to the site Rollo.  As you well know if I had my way you wouldn't be here now.  Be sure to take your spammer buddies with you when you go.  See if Apoppin will entertain you on his site.

Way to abuse you newly found anti-spam powers, stanford.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
I beg yours? I have done absolutely nothing to Rollo.

You threatened to abuse your mod powers:
Quote:Keep the lies up and your username will be editted to Trollo.....
Threatening to abuse your mod powers amounts to abuse of mod powers.
Hmm. I did use mod powers on gstanford one time. I was promptly stripped of them and I have not had them since. Dave is the best mod imo. Very hands off. This forum does not respond well to moderation. Greg has done a great job to control the spam though. We should all thank him for that.
(05-13-2015, 02:19 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Hmm. I did use mod powers on gstanford one time. I was promptly stripped of them and I have not had them since. Dave is the best mod imo. Very hands off. This forum does not respond well to moderation. Greg has done a great job to control the spam though. We should all thank him for that.

I've always liked Dave. I believe I even asked that he be reinstated on ATF back in the day, when the admins and mods used to speak with me.

I think the response I got was something along the lines of "McCowen?! Dave's a good guy, but he's mad as a March hare on (some topic I can't recall) in P&N! He called a mod (something I don't remember)!".

LOL As a guy who battled the ATF mods a time or two myself, I could relate.

This "Stop posting LIES or I will edit your username to mock you!" type of stuff is just an abuse of mod power.

I posted links that said XBone outsold PS4 in the USA in November and December, and Stanfords own link showed a 60/40 split in North America in favor of PS4.

In the USA, MS is "the home team" with a lot more brand loyalty than Sony. (actually Sony's brand name here is worse than it's ever been, the people I know are fairly well off and I never hear of people buying anything Sony)

So odds are good that in the USA the XBone is at 4X% and PS4 is at 5X%. Hardly the dominance GStanford implies, and more like the general parity I noted.
I'm sure there are lots of things that happen in the USA that you never hear of because they don't happen in your closeted little suburb, Rollo.

The American PS4/XBONE sales ratio is nothing like parity as you tried to suggest it was. The XBONE is losing this generation, badly.

Nintendo has brains, they are working hard on a next-gen console to replace Wii U as quickly as possible. If M$ has any brains whatsoever they are doing the same with XBONE.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/04/xb...t-the-ps4/

(05-13-2015, 05:46 AM)gstanford Wrote: I'm sure there are lots of things that happen in the USA that you never hear of because they don't happen in your closeted little suburb, Rollo.

The American PS4/XBONE sales ratio is nothing like parity as you tried to suggest it was.  The XBONE is losing this generation, badly.

Nintendo has brains, they are working hard on a next-gen console to replace Wii U as quickly as possible.  If M$ has any brains whatsoever they are doing the same with XBONE.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/04/xb...t-the-ps4/

From your own link:

Quote:We've also seen some reports that the PS4 and Xbox One are running much closer to sales parity in North America than they are in the rest of the world, though the source for that information isn't secure enough for us to share those specific numbers confidently.

Thanks for backing up my claims with helpful links Greg!
haha

So it is pretty obvious to me what happened. Gstan doesnt like to be proved wrong and completely tried to push focus away from that.

I dont care about the debate and i think it is far far off topic. But when this was claimed,
(05-11-2015, 05:42 PM)gstanford Wrote: No the XBONE has NOT been on sales parity with PS4 in the USA, now or ever.

Rollo completely proves that claim wrong, with actual data

(05-12-2015, 07:40 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2...-november/

Quote:Xbox One Outsells PS4 For November

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/xbox-one-ou...-back-350/

Quote:Xbox One outsold PS4 in December as Microsoft drops console price back to $349

I see what you mean....

I can't believe you can't hook an external USB3 HDD up to PS4s. How cheesy is that?!

And then, gstan pulls out mod power threats. Please dont do that gstanford. No one likes to be wrong but we dont need things getting retarded around here.

I dont care about the debate going on here. Rollo hasnt proved the xbone is doing well in the USA. But he has proven that M$ isnt doing as bad here as in other parts of the world. He has also proved that the xbox one sales have been on parity or even better than the PS4 at least two months in a row. Which is more than the "now or ever" claim by gstan.

Anyway, we have a thread that all this belongs in already. No need to spill this same debate over into other threads.
Guess what, gstanford. The only reason you became a mod was because Dave's attempt to make me a mod failed. Something's wrong with how my account is configured, so I couldn't do my actual job of cleaning out spambots. That's right, I've been a non-functional mod here for some time before you.
(05-13-2015, 06:23 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: From your own link:

Quote:We've also seen some reports that the PS4 and Xbox One are running much closer to sales parity in North America than they are in the rest of the world, though the source for that information isn't secure enough for us to share those specific numbers confidently.

Thanks for backing up my claims with helpful links Greg!

I highlighted the part you appear to have missed in your zeal to defend M$

Ocre Wrote:So it is pretty obvious to me what happened. Gstan doesnt like to be proved wrong and completely tried to push focus away from that.
You are totally wrong there. I have no problem with being proven wrong. I do a have a problem with liars and fact-twisters and I'm hardly alone there, Rollo has been banned from multiple forums and had name changes forced upon him for precisely this behaviour in the past.

(05-13-2015, 12:57 PM)gstanford Wrote:
Ocre Wrote:So it is pretty obvious to me what happened. Gstan doesnt like to be proved wrong and completely tried to push focus away from that.
You are totally wrong there.  I have no problem with being proven wrong.  I do a have a problem with liars and fact-twisters and I'm hardly alone there, Rollo has been banned from multiple forums and had name changes forced upon him for precisely this behaviour in the past.

Your forum has four posters.

All four have noted what you did is an abuse of mod powers.

The reason there are only four of us left is Apoppin did EXACTLY what you are doing- discriminated against posters because they disagreed with him and he couldn't "win" the debates. Ended up calling everyone here "no life losers" and told them to "fxck themselves".

And seriously?! You're going to bring up the fact that YEARS AGO I lied about being in the NVIDIA focus group, when I was the only member who voted for full disclosure, and did everything I could to point up my association with NVIDIA?

You're just angry that you are wrong on MS "never having parity in the USA". I can post links to lots of websites saying they beat PS4 last Nov/Dec, and you posted one that said while they don't trust the source, they have seen MS has always had parity here.

You are wrong about XBone in the USA and you are wrong to abuse your mod powers.

If the four of us stop posting here, who will you moderate?
You can't show any XBOX sales data because M$ doesn't publish it. They only publish shipments to distributors/retailers, not sales to consumers.

On top of that they do not breakdown shipments of XBONE and 360. For all anyone knows up to a third of all M$ console shipments could actually be 360 consoles and not XBONE consoles.

(05-13-2015, 04:38 PM)gstanford Wrote: You can't show any XBOX sales data because M$ doesn't publish it.  They only publish shipments to distributors/retailers, not sales to consumers.

On top of that they do not breakdown shipments of XBONE and 360.  For all anyone knows up to a third of all M$ console shipments could actually be 360 consoles and not XBONE consoles.

You would rather sell your mom to pirates than admit you are wrong.
Guys we need to cut Greg some slack. When you have mod powers it requires a lot of restraint to not use them when someone pisses you off. Rollo is very good at pissing people off. To be fair Greg did not abuse his powers. He simply threatened to do so. Just IMO.
Okay, So lets move on
(05-14-2015, 06:16 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Rollo is very good at pissing people off.

It's true. I did point out that Americans have different car and game console buying habits than folk in other countries.

That would make Ghandi go postal!

Wink

I've never had anything against Greg, but I believe he harbors an old grudge against me, dating back to ATF and NVNEWS interactions.
(05-14-2015, 06:11 AM)Rollo Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 04:38 PM)gstanford Wrote: You can't show any XBOX sales data because M$ doesn't publish it.  They only publish shipments to distributors/retailers, not sales to consumers.

On top of that they do not breakdown shipments of XBONE and 360.  For all anyone knows up to a third of all M$ console shipments could actually be 360 consoles and not XBONE consoles.

You would rather sell your mom to pirates than admit you are wrong.

I am not wrong. There is nothing to admit to.

Rollo Wrote:I posted links that said XBone outsold PS4 in the USA in November and December, and Stanfords own link showed a 60/40 split in North America in favor of PS4.
A 60/40 split is NOT parity! It is not "close to parity" either.

(05-14-2015, 10:43 AM)gstanford Wrote: I am not wrong.  There is nothing to admit to.

You are wrong. You said XBone has never sold as much as PS4 in the USA and there were articles all over the internet saying it outsold PS4 in Nov/Dec 2014.

(05-14-2015, 10:43 AM)gstanford Wrote: A 60/40 split is NOT parity!  It is not "close to parity" either.

It's a LOT closer than Yaris's selling 10% of the number of units of F150s, but you seem to think a lot of people buy inexpensive little cars. It's a LOT closer to parity than 25% of the top 20 purchased vehicles in the USA having a possible MSRP below $20K, but you say the people paying over $20K are all "fools".

Not to mention you have never posted USA sales figures, only North American. North America includes Canada, Mexico, and Central America. It could accurately be said that the buying habits of the US are not the buying habits of Canada, Mexico and Central America.
You'll twist yourself into a pretzel if you try any harder......

Go over to ArsTechnica and tell Kyle Orland just how wrong his research is, do the same for vgchartz.com, but don't forget to share the conversation with us. I could use a good laugh.