Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broadwell i7 Hits 5 GHz On Air
http://www.techpowerup.com/212531/intel-...n-air.html
Awesome.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
1.4v though, that's way too much. Still promising though. It's supposed to be 30% more power efficient.
Yes, too much voltage, you can get devils canyon to 5 gig on that sort of voltage too, doesn't mean it is stable or viable.

I care only about sustainable reasonable overclocks. My guess is they will be in the 4.4 to 4.6 ghz range.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Yes, but can you get Devil's Canyon to 5 GHz on a run-of-the-mill Gelid GX-7 that gets outperformed by a Hyper 212 Evo? http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cf...655&page=5
Because Broadwell has demonstrated that it can do just that.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
I'm excited about broadwell. It's a drop in upgrade for me and it will more than double my CPU performance.
Wow

How..........

Unfortunate!!

Sandy quads were reaching 5ghz on air at about 1.4v. That was 2 freaking nodes ago!

Intel's 32nn.

How can enthusiasts get excited over 14nm broadwell? When you hear or read about the flagships being only 65watt, we all be ecstatic........right?
Well. Not so fast.

These bad boys also run at a lower clock speed. There is no doubt about it, the lower clock speed contributes to the lower power consumption. These chips are 3.3-3.7ghz turbo.
See, that is real interesting.... considering we have 65watt haswell chips, with arguably better specs:

4790s - 4c/8t - 3.2-4ghz turbo. 65watt
4690s - 4c/4t - 3.2-4ghz turbo. 65watt

I just am having a hard time seeing anything great about broadwell on the top end. i am not impressed with intel 14nm so far, at least on the top end. Not at all.
Lower speed chips that have a lower TDP. We got websites claiming 5ghz overclocks with 1.4v. The thing about that is, early haswell reviews and data put them around 5ghz too. But for most people, the chips were way to hot and topped out about 4.5-4.6ghz. Realistically, 5ghz on air was just dreaming.

So I guess if broadwell can actually reach those clocks, for the average user just on air......that might be something.......
Well, if it wasnt for the fact that 4yrs ago sandy was reaching those clocks on air, using about the same volts, two nodes ago.......yeah, it would be freaking awesome.......if it wasnt for that.

So, I guess I am not impressed with anything I have heard so far about broadwell. It is not that is terrible, it is not that it is a step backwards. But honestly, this is not much of an improvement for enthusiast. Heck, I would even argue that this is one of the worst generations ever for intel when it comes to the top end. The only hope we have at all is in overclocking. If we actually get everyday 5ghz overclock on air, it this is the norm and what everyone can expect, then we have a few hundred MHz clock speed advantage. It I am really really skeptical, I am not so sure this will be what everyone should expect to get. But I hope I am wrong and my worries are unfounded.
It even if it does achieve 5ghz overclocks as the norm, that is really a small percentage bump over the 4.5-4.6ghz for haswell. So even the best case scenario at this point, it is......well.....sad

See, it is just a die shrink haswell. And if the node doesn't bring us anything in the too end, there just isn't anything. Intel boasted a 5% IPC gain, some sites have found out this will be 3% at best. Well with the reduced clock speed from 4.4ghz turbo of devils canyon to 3.7ghz turbo of broadwell, we should see for the first time intel releasing a new generation that is actually slower than the older gen it replaces. Even the 4770k might be faster. I haven't been keeping up, but from the little I have seen it just looks really sad to me.
The igpu on broadwell is going to be very good. I think it's too soon to call it a failure. Hopefully it will be priced well. It looks as though it puts out a lot less heat than haswell. By the way, I'm pretty sure that sandy bridge needed 1.5v+ to hit 5ghz and it put out a ton of heat. Very few of them could even reach that speed.
Quite a lot of SandyBridge processors were theoretically capable of 5 ghz, it just took a ton of voltage and a lot of heat to get them there which meant it wasn't a practical overclock any more than I expect 5ghz to be a practical broadwell overclock.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
I recall Sandy Bridge 5 GHz was usually only achievable on a custom liquid cooling loop. That makes Broadwell very impressive, since it can hit 5 GHz on a cooler which is inferior to the 212 Evo, which is the go-to budget cooler for so many. With the 212 Evo's better cooling, people might be able to get Broadwell to 5GHz with a little less voltage.
If the voltage is too high its all academic. You will end up degrading/destroying the chip running it like that so it isn't a practical overclock no matter what sort of cooler you put on there.

Now if it got hot enough to need watercooling at a reasonable voltage and was able to stay stable then that becomes a different story.