Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Witcher 3 & NV GameWorks uproar at shill forum
Sad 
The shill forum is outdoing itself at the moment, with claims that nvidia is deliberately screwing GTX 780 owners over to force them into purchasing new Maxwell based cards as well as the usual screwing AMD over accusations.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2431768

As per usual the idiots over there have their brains hanging out of their arses.

nvidia has explained why the game slows down with gameworks/hairworks enabled on older GPU's:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/...-hairworks

[Image: Hair_Works1.jpg]

[Image: Hair_Works2.jpg]

Oh gee! maxwell can be 3 times faster than other GPU's when tesselating and MSAA is being applied to the hairs too!  I wonder why the performance might drop, must be the sucky compute in Kepler!  Yeah that's it!........  Rolleyes
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Of course RussianSensation has gotten in on the act and is quite convinced that tessellation isn't the source of the slowdown.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php...tcount=251

He is also convinced that 8x MSAA is applied globally when hairworks is on.

RussianSensation Wrote:From what I've read, 8xMSAA is enabled by default when HairWorks is ON. I guess no one at NV thought about the trade-off of performance vs. IQ!
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php...tcount=262

8x MSAA is applied when hairworks is on (unless you edit it to a lower value or off in a config file), BUT, and it is a very important but, the 8x MSAA is only applied to the hairworks geometry, nothing else in the scene receives it.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Yeah, it's pathetic
Well, it is embarrassing for nvidia when my 280x gives better performance in the game with hairworks enabled compared to a GTX 680. All I had to do was dial back the tessellation in the drivers. NVidia has no such option.
Games will always run faster when you deliberately cut quality, no surprise there.

Tessellation quality controls belong in the application, not the driver.

Please show me a screenshot showing the difference. I certainly can't see any. Even at 8x it looks great and I only take a 5fps hit using full Hairworks.
[Image: index.php?ct=news&action=file&id=10465]

The 2x tessellation is truly loltastic.

If you want to play your games with IQ that belongs in a pigs trough I won't stop you.

Perhaps AMD should be (or should have been) working with the developer to have an alternative TressFX 3.0 codepath for AMD cards. But that would involve them getting off their arses and actually do something other than blame nvidia.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/the-wit...mance.html

Well for all the bad things people say about my dual core cpu the witcher 3 runs very nicely on my rig, I'm extremely pleased with it.
Aren't you only getting 40's for fps from what you have said at BTR?

(05-23-2015, 10:06 PM)gstanford Wrote: Aren't you only getting 40's for fps from what you have said at BTR?
In that particular area with Hairworks enabled, yes. I can guarantee you that it's outperforming a GTX 680. I'm generally getting around 50fps in the game with some dips into the 40s. It's very playable.
sickbeast,

how much tessellation are you running? And doesnt that reduce all the tessellation in the game, not just hairworks?
(05-25-2015, 10:27 PM)ocre Wrote: sickbeast,

how much tessellation are you running? And doesnt that reduce all the tessellation in the game, not just hairworks?
8x tessellation. I don't think that there is much tessellation elsewhere in the game.