Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kansas puts $20 limit on Welfare recipient ATM withdrawals
5-21-2015

Kansas puts $20 limit on Welfare recipient ATM withdrawals

Kansas is taking a storm of criticism over its new policy strictly limiting ATM withdrawals for welfare recipients to $25 a day. 

The controversial limit was signed into law in April by Gov. Sam Brownback ® as part of a broader reform bill. But the change was placed in stark reality by a Thursday article in The Washington Post titled "Kansas has found the ultimate way to punish the poor."

As The Post notes, it would "force beneficiaries to make more frequent trips to the ATM to withdraw money from the debit cards used to pay public assistance benefits. Since there's a fee for every withdrawal, the limit means that some families will get substantially less money."

Al Jazeera interviewed Elizabeth Lower-Basch, the director at Center for Law and Social Policy, or CLASP, who said the law amounts to a "tax on the poor."

Additionally, most ATMs do not carry $5 bills. This fact effectively changes the policy to a $20 limit and would potentially result in poor Kansans paying even more withdrawal fees to get the same amount of money.

"It’s a tax on the poor, basically, because they are charged every time they withdraw funds from the ATM. Welfare benefits are not very high in the first place, so this just takes money out of poor people’s pockets," Lower-Basch said.

The Kansas City Star slammed the legislation on Monday as an "embarrassment" to the state.
Effectively changes the policy to a $20 limit?! Don't ATMs carry 1$ bills?
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Wow, you apparently never use an ATM. They only dispense $20 bills.
Oh, I thought there had to be some percentage of ATMs that dispensed 1$ bills.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Is this using a welfare card?! I can't imagine how a government could get away with imposing limits on your own private bank accounts simply because you are unemployed.

Is it possible to transfer the funds off the card and into a proper account?

Honestly I barely use cash these days just about everyone accepts eftpos. I only pay my ISP bill in cash at the post office since I don't trust them to over-charge or double-charge, or take money just because from a savings account or credit card.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
I have no idea why they couldnt pay their bills with their state issued debit cards.

I hardly ever carry cash. 99% of all my purchases are debit. Electric/utility companies dont take debit in kansas? Yeah right!

I havent seen one yet that doesnt, they have been taking debit for years.
(05-22-2015, 10:33 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Oh, I thought there had to be some percentage of ATMs that dispensed 1$ bills.

What actually happened was because of so much human error (the guys that load the ATMs wrong putting $20 bills in the $1 and $5 and $10 slots) the banks just did away with the other denominations and went with just $20's.
(05-26-2015, 06:04 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote:
(05-22-2015, 10:33 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Oh, I thought there had to be some percentage of ATMs that dispensed 1$ bills.

What actually happened was because of so much human error (the guys that load the ATMs wrong putting $20 bills in the $1 and $5 and $10 slots) the banks just did away with the other denominations and went with just $20's.

Just as well.

Nobody "needs" to withdraw $7 from an ATM. The fees are usually $2-$3, the least I ever withdraw is $60 or the convenience fee is too high.
If I need cash I mostly withdraw it when purchasing groceries at the supermarket, no charge for that.

No fees and charges on my savings account anyway. Of course you earn no interest either, but there is a side-account only accessible through the internet/phone banking where you can store funds and earn interest.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
We should use welfare to make people better parents. Most people on welfare and especially the ones that get cash assistance have kids. They should strip parents of benefits if their kids have bad behavior, bad attendance or get piss poor grades in school. That way mabe more kids will get an education and not be on welfare when they become adults. Oh and if you commit a felony like violent crime or sell hard drugs, no welfare at all. One more thing..... if you have another kid while on welfare, benefits should not be increased.

Oh and nice to see this forum is back up. Hello to all.
Hey happy.

You are talking about a sensitive subject. A huge part of this forum just cant stand that the poor arent handed all the wealth of the 1%, you know.....just for being poor