Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The modern phenomenom of bullshit jobs
Smile 
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national...2sy3j.html

An excellent article. Most people only work because there is a (perverse) moral expectation that we work even if there is nothing useful to do. This is going to become a bigger and bigger issue going forward as robots and AI automate just about every job out there and it is something no politician has an answer to beyond demonizing people for not working even when it isn't their fault that there is no work to be had.

I suspect it will continue to be a problem until the filthy rich of society control 99.9% of all the wealth and can't get people to purchase goods and services anymore because nobody has a job or any money to purchase said goods and services.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Thanks for the article. It is food for thought.

I find it odd the stance you just took towards US automakers and you like/support this article. sort of ironic to me.

But after reading the rest of your post, i am starting to think that you despise rich people. It is something that seems to be always on your mind. Maybe you are just bitter in general........
idk

anyway, the article is a pretty great read, just one man's perspective though. Is there really a resentment towards those who do actual and real work? Maybe in his small corner, where he dwells.

-Also, the idea that real work doesnt pay......
That those who do jobs that he would call meaningful......

Lets talk about Architects or Engineers in electrical, mechanical, computing, etc. It is obvious this guy has a very limited view on the world. There are chemist and scientist, these are just some very broad examples that break down into multiple levels where nearly everyone is meaningful work. I havent even got started but am out of time. Just a bunch of holes i see in the article. Either the author has limited real world experience writing from his window sill or he purposely ignored some of the most key positions in our modern world. It seems strange to me.

Of course only a few percent hold those key positions but their jobs are among the highest degree of importance and they get paid very well.
Most auto workers (whether through their own efforts, their training or their management) turn out shoddy work. Why would I (or anyone) like that?!

If rich people don't use their money to better society and just horde it for themselves and to wield power over others then I certainly dislike them.

You only need enough money to live well. Depriving others in society of money just so you can have more yourself is deplorable and runs against what society and civilization were established for.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(05-25-2015, 11:02 PM)ocre Wrote: Thanks for the article. It is food for thought.

I find it odd the stance you just took towards US automakers and you like/support this article. sort of ironic to me.

But after reading the rest of your post, i am starting to think that you despise rich people. It is something that seems to be always on your mind. Maybe you are just bitter in general........

anyway, the article is a pretty great read, just one man's perspective though. Is there really a resentment towards those who do actual and real work? Maybe in his small corner, where he dwells.

-Also, the idea that real work doesnt pay......
That those who do jobs that he would call meaningful......
You have it backwards. The rich are the ones that despise those that are not.

Those not rich did not care less as long as they were able to live a decent life based on their hard work.

Now hard work does not = decent life for the 99%ers
Wow,

you guys need to take a long look at our history as humans. Money, that is all you seem to care about. How much money the rich have. Big freaking deal. Do you not understand that the poor here have a higher quality of life than most people have throughout our entire human existence.

Humans have endured real suffering. Even throughout most of all of our recorded history. They poor today, they have way way better quality of life.

Do you know haw many people died trying to get to our country on ships? They took the chance knowing that many would die, yet they came here because death was better than what they were living in.

Still today, Mexicans make the deadly trip here......walking across deserts!!!! The ship their their children here when they cant afford to pay for themselves. They do this because poor in the US is heaven compared to the life the poor deep in Mexico suffer.
You dont understand........

humans have suffered and starved to death, throughout our history.

I grew up poor in the USA. Sometimes we didnt have lights or running water. I never got eye glasses throughout my entire time in grade/high school.
But one thing i could count on, i never starved to death.

People today have it made in the USA. No time in history has life been so easy for mankind. Dont worry about what a rich man has, sit in your air conditioning and think for a minute........how many humans that lived ever got such luxury? .000001% ?

maybe?

How many had food preserved in the fridge, right there at an arms length? How many had cool drinks? Or water out of a tap? How many had a couch and soft bed?

We live in a wonderful age of abundance but somehow there are people blind. Of course it is almost impossible for a dirt poor person to raise to the top 1% earners. But, a poor person can have just about anything they want.
Food, shelter, education, phone, car, TV, computer, furniture.

The one thing they may never have, mountains of cash. But that seems like all that is important...... ironically enough.........

look
There are couches in the dumpsters more comfortable than most humans throughout all of time had to sit on.
Spoiled nation.

Things may not be so great forever. Right now, life is easy for us. We are living in numbers like never before. These are actually good times. I cannot believe that it is hard to see that. A special time of fruitfulness.

Those have been a rarity. Why dont you educate yourself and see what it meant to be poor for humans in the past. The poor in the US today, that is not suffering. One day you may get to experience real suffering, hopefully not. Cause what an awaking that would be.
(05-25-2015, 11:17 PM)gstanford Wrote: If rich people don't use their money to better society and just horde it for themselves and to wield power over others then I certainly dislike them.

You only need enough money to live well.  Depriving others in society of money just so you can have more yourself is deplorable and runs against what society and civilization were established for.

Disagree.

I'd say that is EXACTLY what society was established for:

To give people an safe infrastructure wherein to build as good of a life for your family as your skills and ambition allow.

Pretty unrealistic to think the rich will say: "I want to give away my security, lifestyle, and heir's security and lifestyle to help others who may not even have tried." (or knowingly made choices that ruined their chances)

(05-26-2015, 06:01 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Now hard work does not = decent life for the 99%ers

Disagree with this as well.

Average wage for even HS degree only in this country is $34K:

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

So if two HS grads are making $70K between them, you're saying they can't live a "decent life" on that?!

Define "decent" I guess. They may have to rent, or live in a modest home, but two people can have a home, healthcare, cars, bikes, a small boat on that.

That's not bad.
(05-27-2015, 12:51 AM)ocre Wrote: The poor in the US today, that is not suffering.
One day you may get to experience real suffering, hopefully not. Cause what an awaking that would be.
So that's your justification for the extreme concentration and hoarding of wealth by the 1%?

That won't help them stave off yet another round of revolution against them as has happened century after century because man never learns to not be greedy.
(05-27-2015, 04:40 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: So that's your justification for the extreme concentration and hoarding of wealth by the 1%?

No justification is necessary, it's not illegal to amass wealth. It's actually encouraged.

Beyond that, your argument is a slippery slope. To a lot of people in the country, YOU are rich. Shouldn't you be able to spare some for those less fortunate? Why are you hoarding?

(05-27-2015, 04:40 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: That won't help them stave off yet another round of revolution against them as has happened century after century because man never learns to not be greedy.

You keep tossing this out there, but it will never happen.
What about the greed of those who covet the wealth of others? They get a pass?

Even if the "revolution" did happen, what would be gained? Bubba the Car Washer going to run the big show now? Uh huh, sure.

"My first proclamation is that all attractive women folk go topless on Tuesdays and Thursdays, to cheer up the population"

"My second proclamation is that Wednesday is free beer day!"

"Last but not least, it is now illegal to charge admission to football games!'

The problem with the poor rising up and taking power from the rich is they wouldn't know what to do with it. There are good reasons they are poor, and technical skill, business acumen, and leadership qualities are not among them.
I'm a 99%er and I live a very decent life. I can see why people are so frustrated with the top 1% though. They do have too much. It's excessive. Beyond $300000/year it's just excessive imo. There is really no need for more. With that much you can really live a life of luxury.
(05-27-2015, 05:25 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(05-27-2015, 04:40 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: So that's your justification for the extreme concentration and hoarding of wealth by the 1%?

No justification is necessary, it's not illegal to amass wealth. It's actually encouraged.

(05-27-2015, 04:40 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: That won't help them stave off yet another round of revolution against them as has happened century after century because man never learns to not be greedy.

You keep tossing this out there, but it will never happen.

Even if the "revolution" did happen, what would be gained? Bubba the Car Washer going to run the big show now? Uh huh, sure.

The problem with the poor rising up and taking power from the rich is they wouldn't know what to do with it. There are good reasons they are poor, and technical skill, business acumen, and leadership qualities are not among them.
Yes, that is called the Bell Curve. It is healthy. When the Bell curve becomes a cliff when greed takes over you get Revolutions.

No one has an issue with the "amassing wealth". The problem is when that wealth of none of it is plowed back into the Earth for future growth.

It has happened over and over again over since man has been inhabiting this planet. Have you not had any history lessons or read at all?
(05-27-2015, 05:25 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Beyond that, your argument is a slippery slope. To a lot of people in the country, YOU are rich. Shouldn't you be able to spare some for those less fortunate? Why are you hoarding?
You're missing the whole point of the 1%. The 1% is 1% of all the country, not a comparison of one person's wealth with another person's wealth.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Yep, 1% of 319 million (approx) americans are filthy rich, 99% are not (or anywhere remotely close).

[Image: Net_worth_and_financial_wealth.jpg]

(05-27-2015, 09:33 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: You're missing the whole point of the 1%.  The 1% is 1% of all the country, not a comparison of one person's wealth with another person's wealth.

I think you're the one missing the point.

As we're not a communist country and people are allowed to make what the market will bear for wages, and own private property, it follows that some people will be in the top 1%, some in the top 10%, some in the top 50%.

There is nothing intrinsically "right" or "wrong" with being in any group.

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/...net-worth/

This idiot has amassed $50m saying "Git'er done" and acting like a hick. Personally don't think his skills merit the wealth, but a lot of people are willing to pay to hear him say it.

That is what is good about our system: everyone has a shot at wealth. They can act like a hick, study a highly skilled profession, work hard as the owner a crappy job like cleaning offices and expand their business, play a sport well, or just invest wisely.
Quote:That is what is good about our system: everyone has a shot at wealth. They can act like a hick, study a highly skilled profession, work hard as the owner a crappy job like cleaning offices and expand their business, play a sport well, or just invest wisely.

and only 20% of those people will actually become filthy rich, the other 80% will not.

the top 1% control 42% of financial wealth
the top 5% control 72% of financial wealth
the top 10% control 85% of financial wealth
the top 20% control 96% of financial wealth

Leaving just 4% for everyone else - 80% of the population. 255.2 million people out of 319 million. and that was in 2010. The situation is even more pronounced now.

(05-27-2015, 09:03 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Yes, that is called the Bell Curve. It is healthy. When the Bell curve becomes a cliff when greed takes over you get Revolutions.

No one has an issue with the "amassing wealth". The problem is when that wealth of none of it is plowed back into the Earth for future growth.

It has happened over and over again over since man has been inhabiting this planet. Have you not had any history lessons or read at all?

Times are a little different than when the French Revolution. The poor aren't starving. We're not governed by the church. There is no food scarcity.

Here, over half the households have an annual income over $50,000.. People don't grab their deer rifles and face off against the governments attack helicopters because they don't get to drive a BMW.

(05-27-2015, 05:32 PM)gstanford Wrote:
Quote:That is what is good about our system: everyone has a shot at wealth. They can act like a hick, study a highly skilled profession, work hard as the owner a crappy job like cleaning offices and expand their business, play a sport well, or just invest wisely.

and only 20% of those people will actually become filthy rich, the other 80% will not.

the top 1% control 42% of financial wealth
the top 5% control 72% of financial wealth
the top 10% control 85% of financial wealth
the top 20% control 96% of financial wealth

Leaving just 4% for everyone else - 80% of the population.  255.2 million people out of 319 million.  and that was in 2010.  The situation is even more pronounced now.

As noted, over half of the people here have a household income over $50k, which you can easily live on in most of America.

Whether that is 4% or 1/3% of what the rich have is irrelevant.

That won't help them stave off yet another round of revolution against them as has happened century after century because man never learns to not be greedy.

Justification? what?

I am not justifying anything. I am the kind of guy who sees the good and the bad, then i go from there. You should try this sometime. I think you will be surprised when you find out, things are usually only as bad as you tell yourself. As bad as you let them be.

This is a stark contrast when you look back throughout the history of mankind. I really dont think many people in the modern world truly know what suffering is. And what a shame, because they do live in a special time.

Never before has every person been rich. When it comes to being poor today, it is nothing like being poor in 500, 1000, 1500, 2000yrs ago. As for their life, they can grow old and have many things in the modern world. You dont understand how rare that is. throughout our history.

I am not advocating that everything is perfect. I am sure shifting goal will never be achieved on a universal basis. But we have moved tremendously as a species, we have made drastic advances that somehow are ignored.

Justification?

Let me ask you, how do you have a meaningful conversation about where we are if you completely ignore where we have been? The poor today have more opportunities, higher quality life, live longer, have more, can achieve more than they ever could have. Yet it is not cool because not everyone has millions of dollars?

I think your only focus is money here. And that says a lot.
(05-28-2015, 10:45 PM)ocre Wrote: Justification?   what?

I am not justifying anything.  I am the kind of guy who sees the good and the bad, then i go from there.  You should try this sometime.  I think you will be surprised when you find out, things are usually only as bad as you tell yourself. As bad as you let them be.

This is a stark contrast when you look back throughout the history of mankind.  I really dont think many people truly know what suffering is.   And what a shame, because they do live in a special time.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

From the (relative) comfort of their "we have food/shelter/healthcare" existence, the "revolutionaries" look askance at rich and think, "Dammit! I can perform task X for 8 hours a day! Should not those bastards pay me more?! Or if not me, shouldn't they be helping dirty Joe Dirt who can't find a job because he barely finished high school and hasn't bothered to learn anything since?!?!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBR9xBQWeS4

How do "I" justify them having so much and us having so little?

They figured out a way to get it, we didn't. That is justification enough.

All your life there will be people that have more money, better looking wives, more talented kids, better toys, etc ad infinitum.

IMHO, the "richest" people are those that are happy with what they have and don't look at others for comparison. When we bought our first house, we didn't make together what either of us makes now. The only cars we shopped for were used. Our "boat" was a canoe. Going "up North" on a fishing trip was a planned and saved for event.

Not any happier now than I was then, except for the addition of our son to the mix.

You can spend your life looking at others and hissing, "They OWE me!" or you can live your life and do what you can for yourself.

Like I said, no "revolution" is coming because people don't drive a BMW.
(05-28-2015, 11:16 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Like I said, no "revolution" is coming because people don't drive a BMW.

Yet it will happen again as always does.
(05-29-2015, 02:41 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 11:16 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Like I said, no "revolution" is coming because people don't drive a BMW.

Yet it will happen again as always does.

Remind me to leave the country when this all starts.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4QdEKjEg88

:-/