Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happened to the main ABT page?
When I try to visit ABT it says there is a database error. Dave do you know what's going on with the main site? Have the articles all been lost?
Same here
(05-24-2015, 10:17 PM)SickBeast Wrote: When I try to visit ABT it says there is a database error. Dave do you know what's going on with the main site? Have the articles all been lost?

I don't know. I went away for the Memorial Day weekend, just got back. I put a support ticket in.
it worked today
I honestly think that we need a new ABT main page just like we have a new forum. Dave maybe you should turn ABT into a news page and let us all post stuff to it. You would be able to do a great p&n section.
(05-27-2015, 08:17 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I honestly think that we need a new ABT main page just like we have a new forum. Dave maybe you should turn ABT into a news page and let us all post stuff to it. You would be able to do a great p&n section.

Still using Wordpress?
Wordpress is newbie friendly, so it seems like a reasonable option, as long as you secure it properly and turn off everything superflous. I see no need for comments on articles etc when we have the forum, extra bits are just weak points for hackers/spammers to try and exploit.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Main page is down again
Put in Trouble Ticket again.
Main page is back up but have to get off Wordpress.
(06-07-2015, 06:17 PM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Main page is back up but have to get off Wordpress.

We need BoFox and Apoppin to come back.

One forum with two handfuls of posters is stronger than two with a handful each.

I saw on his forum he thinks he will have "10,000 unique visitors" this month. LOL! Yeah sure, spam bots.

NO WAY 10,000 people are reading his reviews. He only has a couple guys from here posting there, does he honestly think 10K people are reading and not posting? :-/

He's still at 3,300,000 on Alexa web rankings, I sort of doubt there are 3.3m websites that get more than 10K unique viewers/mo..

A house divided will fall, and whatever his faults, Apoppin helped build this one.
Let Trollpoppin back on here, but don't let him become a mod, he's too unstable.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(06-09-2015, 12:24 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Let Trollpoppin back on here, but don't let him become a mod, he's too unstable.

+1
(06-09-2015, 12:24 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Let Trollpoppin back on here, but don't let him become a mod, he's too unstable.

Apoppin would be a good addition to the forums if he had no mod or admin powers. He proved multiple times mods powers are dangerous in his hands, he used them to "win" debates rather than enforce TOS.

The best example was when he banned me to "protect ABT in it's growth period" and immediately after he banned me the web ranking started free falling and kept going down.
haha

well, i think that is what makes forums worth reading. Different POVs. But the problem is that some people are just so insecure they cannot stand it when people dont agree with them

I actually agree with apoppin on many things. Probably most things
(06-09-2015, 10:09 PM)ocre Wrote: haha

well, i think that is what makes forums worth reading.  Different POVs.  But the problem is that some people are just so insecure they cannot stand it when people dont agree with them

I actually agree with apoppin on many things.  Probably most things

Personally I could not care less when people don't agree with me, unless it looks to me like they are right, and then I change my opinion.

I welcome debate. Cool
What happened to the ABT logo at the top of the forums? Now we have a generic MyBB logo in its place.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(06-10-2015, 08:24 AM)gstanford Wrote: What happened to the ABT logo at the top of the forums? Now we have a generic MyBB logo in its place.

Hmm, I still see the Logo, probably have to do a cache dump or something. I did an update MyBB. I'll put the logo file back when I get home from work in the morning.
(06-10-2015, 08:24 AM)gstanford Wrote: What happened to the ABT logo at the top of the forums? Now we have a generic MyBB logo in its place.

Let me know if the ABT logo is back. I re-uploaded the image file.
Yes, it is back.

(06-10-2015, 10:44 PM)gstanford Wrote: Yes, it is back.

Thanx Smile
(06-11-2015, 01:35 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote:
(06-10-2015, 10:44 PM)gstanford Wrote: Yes, it is back.

Thanx  Smile

Hey Dave, you're up 300K to an even 1 million on web rankings, without even having new content!.

Your old partner languishes at 3.3 million, week after week.

Congratulations, looks like you are doing things right.
So what changed? Did the "Advocates" un-blacklist ABT?
(06-11-2015, 09:07 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: So what changed? Did the "Advocates" un-blacklist ABT?

With Apoppin gone they have no reason to blacklist you.

If I was at a different point in the game (retired) I would join you and be your reviewer just for the fun of it.
Dave, we just had a spammer post in an established thread, something I have not seen happen before.

Another thing, just before that I noticed the Bing bot trying to reply to a thread (the exact thread wasn't specified).

I'm quite sure these two events are not unrelated and the spammers have found a way to use bot accounts to get in and cause havok.

Can you please ensure bot accounts have no posting or other special privileges? Better yet, just ban them, they are nuisances anyway.

[Image: K2US81e.jpg]

Once you're done with that, could you please fix my moderation privileges?
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(06-11-2015, 09:40 PM)gstanford Wrote: Dave, we just had a spammer post in an established thread, something I have not seen happen before.

Another thing, just before that I noticed the Bing bot trying to reply to a thread (the exact thread wasn't specified).

I'm quite sure these two events are not unrelated and the spammers have found a way to use bot accounts to get in and cause havok.

Can you please ensure bot accounts have no posting or other special privileges? Better yet, just ban them, they are nuisances anyway.

[Image: K2US81e.jpg]

I checked the Bot settings and they are set to Guest only. That was a spammer using "bing" as a username.
Weird. The IP address resolves to Microsoft.

From a google search.
Quote:whatismyipaddress.com/ip/207.46.13.18Location: Redmond, United States - 207.46.13.18 is a static assigned Corporate IP address allocated to Microsoft bingbot. Learn more.

The spammer who posted to an existing thread at the same time was called "upandover". Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to note down the IP address used on the post before I deleted it.

(06-12-2015, 08:08 AM)gstanford Wrote: Weird. The IP address resolves to Microsoft.

From a google search.
Quote:whatismyipaddress.com/ip/207.46.13.18Location: Redmond, United States - 207.46.13.18 is a static assigned Corporate IP address allocated to Microsoft bingbot. Learn more.

The spammer who posted to an existing thread at the same time was called "upandover". Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to note down the IP address used on the post before I deleted it.
With spoofing you can make it look like from anywhere you want.
True, though there are free IP tracers that try to unmask those using spoofing.
And the Bing Bot is trying to reply to a thread yet again as I type this.

[Image: happeningagain.jpg]

But is it successful? Could just be the software thinking the bot is replying.
No spam resulted this time around, but I'll be keeping an eye on the Bing Bot for a while yet.

main site is a dead link again
Do you still see it down? I checked at home and now work and see the main age up on my PC's.
it works for me. Maybe just a blip
I see it down again. Will reset Wordpress again when I get home from work.
Hey Dave what are your plans for ABT? I have an idea for you. I think you should make a "New ABT" and an "Old ABT", similar to what you did with the forums. I say this because "Old ABT" is clearly broken, with images missing and from what I gather the wordpress was somehow messed up and it just doesn't work right.

From there we need some content. Maybe we could turn it into a tech news site inspired by the posts on the forum. I think that the forum is active enough, particularly with guys like SteelCrysis, that we could get ABT some hits that way.

That's just my idea for now, I don't think this would be hard to do.

If you want reviews I'm sure several of us would volunteer if we get to keep the hardware. Smile
(07-25-2015, 05:53 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Hey Dave what are your plans for ABT?  I have an idea for you.  I think you should make a "New ABT" and an "Old ABT", similar to what you did with the forums.  I say this because "Old ABT" is clearly broken, with images missing and from what I gather the wordpress was somehow messed up and it just doesn't work right.

From there we need some content.  Maybe we could turn it into a tech news site inspired by the posts on the forum.  I think that the forum is active enough, particularly with guys like SteelCrysis, that we could get ABT some hits that way.

That's just my idea for now, I don't think this would be hard to do.

If you want reviews I'm sure several of us would volunteer if we get to keep the hardware. Smile

Yes!!!  Steelcrysis should be allowed to make short mini-articles about whatever he finds against all of the companies he dislikes in his sig.  ABT can only generate more hits - controversy from other forums about ABT's article can only bring even more hits.  Just like Fudzilla, etc..  thriving on controversial rumors or findings, etc.. 

I actually enjoy most of the threads that Steelcrysis created the whole time he was here on ABT.  Just because Poppin banned him on BTR doesn't mean it's wrong for him to continue making as many threads as he did in the past.  His sig clearly states his bias, so it's in plain sight for everybody to see, and is out of the way so people like Poppin cannot accuse him of shilling as much as he would like to.  Remember how successful Semiaccurate got, with articles that consisted of only about 50% truth and 50% error - even after charging an arm and a leg for insider's view of its articles it's still getting so many hits. 

Awesome idea, SB! If both Dave and SC agree, and if SC would like to, I'd definitely check them out myself on a regular basis!
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
That sounds like a good idea, if Dave is willing.