Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ocre's hexacore
Right around the time when ABT "died" ocre had recently purchased a cheap Sandy Bridge hexacore CPU off ebay. Unfortunately that thread is lost at the old forum. ocre I was hoping you could share with us what you think of your rig and how well it runs modern games. Do you have any demanding games like BF4, Crysis 3, or GTA V? I'm really curious about your rig. I really think you were onto something. What happened between you and apoppin was unfortunate. I just think it would be neat for us to have a dialogue about what you did, if you don't mind.
Sure, i have all of those games. I get great frame rates and can play anything I want. I don't have time to get into it tonight but I have settled for an everyday overclock with all the power savings on, not not down clocks to 2ghz but dynamic voltage range from .98v to 1.3v when it is in turbo, which is 4.4ghz.

I have booted at 5ghz but its way to much volts for me. Also, 4.8 ghz I was a lt more stable but still, I don't want to run those voltages.

4.6ghz all cores is reasonable but I haven't tuned in speedstep, cstates, or dynamic voltage at that speed. I am not sure if it is possible. But right now, my chip runs like a stock hex. 2ghz browsing the Internet and no load, 4.4ghz when Ir is a little demanding. I'm every day task, it jumps to that turbo a lot.
When I am gaming, or have a load across >2 two threads, it will top out at 4.2ghz at 1.28v. The temps are high 60s for the cores. When it is warm, one might reach 70, 71c. But that is with 100% stress loads.

I have even have my fan in auto controlled by the motherboard. Its pretty quiet.
The "moar corez" scam AMD perpetrated on the world.

I bought a 990X for $1000, only to watch it edged at gaming by the $350 2600K for the years I owned it.

Always amuses me when the Advocates post, "When games are properly coded to use 8 physical threads, the 8370 will rule!".

If you're getting intel hex cheap and OCing like Ocre, I get it. Will not be paying the hex tax new again though.
Edged at gaming?

I have cross checked fps with reviews, its pretty close. I have discovered that hyper threading cost me a few percent in some games. We see this with haswell 4/8 thread CPUs to but it is minor. The impacted is higher on my older hex. There is latency in hyper threading. Intel improved this a lot.

Turning off hyper threading makes a big difference on some games.
The 6cores is plenty all by themselves.
That's great, I'm really happy that it worked out for you. I knew it would. 6 Sandy Bridge cores at 4ghz+ are extremely powerful.
(06-05-2015, 08:50 PM)ocre Wrote: Edged at gaming?  

I have cross checked fps with reviews, its pretty close.  I have discovered that hyper threading cost me a few percent in some games.  We see this with haswell 4/8 thread CPUs to but it is minor.  The impacted is higher on my older hex.   There is latency in hyper threading. Intel improved this a lot.  

Turning off hyper threading makes a big difference on some games.  
The 6cores is plenty all by themselves.

I only play shooters, not a lot of shooters use more than 4 cores to my knowledge.

So in return for my $1000 in 2011 I got to watch every $200 quad core launched between 2011 and late 2014 when I sold it equal or best it.

I am not a poor man, but the lesson of throwing away that $800 was not lost upon me.

So when I updated my CPUs again in late 2014, I got a 4690 to replace the 2500K, and a 4790K to replace the 990X.
I'm still debating whether I should get a Broadwell i5 or if I should wait for Skylake. Do you guys think Intel will finally release a cheap quad core with Skylake?

Broadwell is a drop in upgrade for me. I have a Z97 motherboard.
Wait for Skylake. Broadwell is solely focused on iGPU performance increase, and the CPU doesn't have any improvements over Haswell.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(06-06-2015, 12:31 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Wait for Skylake.  Broadwell is solely focused on iGPU performance increase, and the CPU doesn't have any improvements over Haswell.

People are reporting large gains in certain applications actually, WinRAR is 50% faster. Overall it's about 5-7% faster in terms of IPC. Overclocking could be very good as well.

My issue with Skylake is that it will require a platform upgrade for me. A new motherboard is usually around $100, plus I would have to pay even more if I want DDR4. The only way Skylake will make sense for me is if they make a cheap quad core, but I highly doubt that this will happen.
I guess wait and see. I dont think skylake will be as good as it was hyped up to be. But, i damn sure would love to see ipc jump more than 5-7%. It is so depressing.

As for what i was saying, i was on my phone at work and i dont think it came out clear.

Hyperthreading adds latency, it is unavoidable. For the most part, the added latency is no big deal because doing the extra work per cycle completely covers it up. In predictable code, it is no contest and HT shines. Gaming though, it can be a wash. The HT works just like it is supposed to but the workload is not always easily divided nor is it a predictable environment. The added latency of hyperthreading shows its ugly face in gaming environments. Gaming, as most people know, is very sensitive to latency where most other apps deal with it very very well.

To sum it up, the reason the i5 has been faster sometimes in gaming is the latency disadvantage is more severe in some games vs others. Through the years, Intel has been improving latency and there are few cases where an i5 haswell is faster than an i7. There still may be a game or two though.

If the cores are real busy and being overwhelmed, the HT latency isnt overshadowed easily as the 2 threads knock out the task together. This means, dual cores with hyperthreading usually can best a dual core without. The more backed up the CPU is, the more HT helps.

My hex is old and from a time when almost every review would tell you that the i5 is better suited for gaming. I can knock out task in lighting speed with 12threads but gaming is almost always better with HT off. Not only higher fps, but high minimums to. I sometime wonder if the 6 cores with hyperthreading has more latency than 4 cores because the task is divided up so small that my cpu usage is 30-40% in a lot of games. Even GTA 5, its not even 50% across all threads. This dividing up task accross so many cores never has the steady throughput to make the added latency moot. See, it seems like the well threaded games take the biggest hit. they will spread the load across 12 threeads with CPU usage 20-50%. Games that are only hard on 3 or 4 cores dont really show much of a difference with HT on or off