Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 TB XBone Launches For USD 399
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-ann...controller
They're also bundling Halo: MCC with it for a limited time.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(06-09-2015, 09:57 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-ann...controller
They're also bundling Halo: MCC with it for a limited time.

Nice!

PS4 had best follow suit, or they will lose sales. I can see some parents not wanting to swap hard drives in the PS4, and the dinky 500GB hdd + no use of external could become a deal breaker for many.

People who buy consoles are not PC gamers used to swapping parts.
Don't worry, a PS4 with a 1tb HDD is on its way.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/ne...ng-to-fcc/

Sony isn't as desperate as M$ to get it on the market and Sony console owners are quite used to being able to upgrade or add hard drives themselves.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(06-09-2015, 11:04 PM)gstanford Wrote: Sony console owners are quite used to being able to upgrade or add hard drives themselves.

They HAVE to be- Sony didn't have the forethought to put easy plug and play USB 3 options into their bare bones design.
(06-10-2015, 11:32 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(06-09-2015, 11:04 PM)gstanford Wrote: Sony console owners are quite used to being able to upgrade or add hard drives themselves.

They HAVE to be- Sony didn't have the forethought to put easy plug and play USB 3 options into their bare bones design.

Rolleyes

Sony could enable portable HDD storage tomorrow if they wanted to.

The K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) principle applies here, consumers like Sony's "bare bones" approach (just like consumers world wide love simple, basic, reliable Toyota cars). The sales figures vs XBONE prove it.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
It's more "simple" to take a PS4 apart and replace the hard drive than plugging in an external hard drive and keeping all the games on the original?

I suppose the 100hp econoboxes the rest of the world drives are somehow better than our 300+ hp trucks and SUVs as well?

"People of the world do not want the safety, power, and utility of those large vehicles. They want a car that won't harm a dog if it runs out in front of the vehicle, or that people can walk alongside as they accelerate up on ramps? (so they can converse with the occupants of the cars)
You don't take a PS4 apart to replace the hard drive. You slide off one plastic top cover and remove one screw. Your granny could do it blindfolded.

You'd better be a damn fast walker if you want to talk with me while I'm travelling up an on ramp in my Yaris. You don't need ridiculous amounts of horsepower when there is only a lightweight car body to push along. Have you forgotten your high-school physics (or did you party through that just like you did college first time around)?

(06-11-2015, 05:04 PM)gstanford Wrote: You don't take a PS4 apart to replace the hard drive.  You slide off one plastic top cover and remove one screw.  Your granny could do it blindfolded.

You'd better be a damn fast walker if you want to talk with me while I'm travelling up an on ramp in my Yaris.  You don't need ridiculous amounts of horsepower when there is only a lightweight car body to push along.  Have you forgotten your high-school physics (or did you party through that just like you did college first time around)?

http://autofiles.com/0-60-times/toyota/yaris/

Quote:Please note that Toyota Yaris 0-60 times and 1/4 mile were measured on an enclosed site to eliminate such variables as wind, weather or traction, so you should not be surprised if your own zero to sixty tests on the street may show lower results.

SE 5dr Liftback 0-60 9.4 sec 1/4 mile 17.3 @ 80 mph
L 3dr Liftback 0-60 9.5 sec 1/4 mile 17.3 @ 80 mph
LE 5dr Liftback 0-60 10.2 sec 1/4 mile 17.7 @ 77 mph
L 5dr Liftback 0-60 10.2 sec 1/4 mile 17.7 @ 77 mph
LE 3dr Liftback 0-60 10.2 sec 1/4 mile 17.7 @ 77 mph

Should cars this powerful even be street legal?

My wife's car does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and my pick up truck 7.1 seconds, and they are not even the big engine models. In the USA, 0-60 in 10 seconds is not considered acceptable.
You were talking about going up an on-ramp, not running a 1/4 mile race!

The Yaris is plenty powerful enough for normal street and highway use. Will easily get you to the legal speed limit and keep you there in both scenarios.

(06-12-2015, 08:15 AM)gstanford Wrote: You were talking about going up an on-ramp, not running a 1/4 mile race!

The Yaris is plenty powerful enough for normal street and highway use.  Will easily get you to the legal speed limit and keep you there in both scenarios.

What's the speed limit there? Here it's 55-70 on most highways, so 0-60 is fairly important. Bear in mind that 10 second 0-60 stuff is with the pedal on the floor, and who drives like that? Most of us in the US are probably taking 10 seconds to get to 60, because we've got our pedal halfway down. You put the Yaris pedal halfway down and your 0-60 probably becomes 15 seconds.

This is another BIG reason we don't drive cars like Yaris's:

That's in a wreck with a little Camry.
Don't drive like an idiot and you will never have to worry about being in a crash like that. (I've never been in a crash that was my fault and never crashed at all in my Yaris). That includes trying to go from 0 to 60 in under 10 seconds (which you won't be doing from an on ramp to a highway anyway since you are likely already travelling 40 - 60 km/h on the on-ramp as you merge.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=au

(06-12-2015, 08:38 AM)gstanford Wrote: Don't drive like an idiot and you will never have to worry about being in a crash like that.  (I've never been in a crash that was my fault and never crashed at all in my Yaris).  That includes trying to go from 0 to 60 in under 10 seconds (which you won't be doing from an on ramp to a highway anyway since you are likely already travelling 40 - 60 km/h on the on-ramp as you merge.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=au

First it's not my driving I worry about. Ever heard of anyone texting and driving? Smoking and driving? Playing with the radio and driving? Drinking and driving? Falling asleep at the wheel?

Yes the odds are against you getting in a serious crash:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder...-your-car/

But the Yaris is NOT what you want to be driving if you are in that accident.

Notice how the cab is intact in my car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vW9pmd-u1c

Same thing in my wife's car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngNSnGsAWgQ

And the Yaris driver ponders if saving $10K was worth it as the engine gets rammed into his stomach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlWfDVPFYk

You guys never turn onto a ramp from a stop light and have to get up to highway speed in a short distance, or have to merge into fast traffic? I have to multiple times a day.
Sound like it is your local road designers that are causing the problems not what you drive. Our on/off ramps are sensibly designed here nowadays. Even if I have to come to a total halt in the merging lane (very rare) waiting for a traffic opening, I'm up to 80 km/h again in well under 10 secs. The Yaris simply isn't as slow as you think it is in normal traffic situations.

If you think the Yaris crumples badly you should check out what equivalent Honda's and Nissan's do. The Yaris has very thick and sturdy body panels compared to them (they feel like they are built out of tin foil).

As for other people causing accidents, drive defensively, watch what they are doing at all times so you can avoid them. Don't sit in your car watching a DVD or whatever. Like I said before don't drive like an idiot (that includes being aware of what other drivers around you are doing) and you have little to fear from accidents.

(06-12-2015, 09:56 AM)gstanford Wrote: Sound like it is your local road designers that are causing the problems not what you drive.  Our on/off ramps are sensibly designed here nowadays.  Even if I have to come to a total halt in the merging lane (very rare) waiting for a traffic opening, I'm up to 80 km/h again in well under 10 secs.  The Yaris simply isn't as slow as you think it is in normal traffic situations.

If you think the Yaris crumples badly you should check out what equivalent Honda's and Nissan's do.  The Yaris has very thick and sturdy body panels compared to them (they feel like they are built out of tin foil).

As for other people causing accidents, drive defensively, watch what they are doing at all times so you can avoid them.  Don't sit in your car watching a DVD or whatever.  Like I said before don't drive like an idiot (that includes being aware of what other drivers around you are doing) and you have little to fear from accidents.

I don't doubt the Yaris is a fine economy car, I'm telling you things are different here and what is valued here is not what your culture values. (and why we value it)

I think I've thought of a good way:

If cars and gas were free, how many people in the world would drive an F150 compared to a Yaris?

Passenger comfort: F150>Yaris
Utility for hauling cargo: F150>Yaris
Crash safety: F150>Yaris
Towing capability: F150>Yaris
Acceleration: F150>Yaris

The F150 (our top selling vehicle) leads the Yaris in every metric that matters in a vehicle choice, and by a good margin at most of them. That is why Americans used to prize SUVs, and now prize pick up trucks. As you can see, we're not "crazy", they're pretty good reasons.

"Stack'em high, sell'em cheap" does not apply here.
and yet in the wake of the US car industry meltdown the American car industry promised the government in writing, published in major newspapers, that they would stop focusing on pickup trucks and SUV's and start developing cars that people actually want (cars a lot more like a Yaris than a pickup truck).

At least we know what the US car industries promises are worth - nothing. No wonder they are fighting Tesla tooth and nail over direct vs dealership sales, otherwise Tesla would wipe the dinosaurs out overnight.

And no, if the F150 magically cost the same as my Yaris both to purchase and fuel, I still would not want to purchase it over my Yaris. American SUV's and pickup trucks belong on railway lines, not urban streets!

(06-12-2015, 05:15 PM)gstanford Wrote: and yet in the wake of the US car industry meltdown the American car industry promised the government in writing, published in major newspapers, that they would stop focusing on pickup trucks and SUV's and start developing cars that people actually want (cars a lot more like a Yaris than a pickup truck).

At least we know what the US car industries promises are worth - nothing.  No wonder they are fighting Tesla tooth and nail over direct vs dealership sales, otherwise Tesla would wipe the dinosaurs out overnight.

And no, if the F150 magically cost the same as my Yaris both to purchase and fuel, I still would not want to purchase it over my Yaris.  American SUV's and pickup trucks belong on railway lines, not urban streets!

That's what we need: Electric cars with toxic waste batteries, running on electricity created by coal burning. Rolleyes

So given the choice at equal cost you would drive far less car? Why don't you run AMD CPUs and a Wii console?
I have a Wii console buried somewhere.

I dispute that my Yaris is a lesser car than an F150. To me a car is a means of getting from point A to point B first and foremost. The cheaper it can do this and the more reliably it can do this determines how good it is to me, not how many pointless toys and luxuries and distractions are crammed into its cabin.

My Yaris has all the instrumentation you require to operate it properly it has seating that is comfortable enough and it has a weatherproof cargo storage area. It is economical to purchase, maintain and run. And it will be running long after your oversized monstrosity has a date with destiny in a car crusher.

AMD CPU's are poor value for money, unreliable (they 'breakdown' running code that other processors handle just fine), they are expensive to fuel (eat lots of power) and they pollute (produce lots of heat compared to other processors that outperform them).

(06-12-2015, 06:01 PM)gstanford Wrote: I have a Wii console buried somewhere.

I dispute that my Yaris is a lesser car than an F150.  To me a car is a means of getting from point A to point B first and foremost.  The cheaper it can do this and the more reliably it can do this determines how good it is to me, not how many pointless toys and luxuries and distractions are crammed into its cabin.

My Yaris has all the instrumentation you require to operate it properly it has seating that is comfortable enough and it has a weatherproof cargo storage area.  It is economical to purchase, maintain and run.  And it will be running long after your oversized monstrosity has a date with destiny in a car crusher.

AMD CPU's are poor value for money, unreliable (they 'breakdown' running code that other processors handle just fine), they are expensive to fuel (eat lots of power) and they pollute (produce lots of heat compared to other processors that outperform them).

If you just look at "cheap", McDonalds is the best restaurant in town.

My storage is weather proof as well (Truxedo tonneau cover) and mine can almost hold a Yaris with the cover rolled up.

Lots of people get 300,000 miles on a full size American pickup, you're saying Yaris's last longer than that?!

Wouldn't matter to me anyway, we sell them at 80K miles. (or before) I like to drive vehicles that feel "new".
In 1990 I was still driving a 1966 Toyota Corona "shovelnose" around as a secondary vehicle. I no longer own it, the automatic transmission developed trouble but the person who bought it off of me fixed it cheap and still drives it. Even converted it to use unleaded petrol. The car is two years older than I am!

[Image: 1970_Toyota_Corona_4-door.jpg]

No, the Yaris most certainly isn't the McDonalds of small cars, not by a long shot, you can purchase far, far worse than a Yaris. When I bought it it came better equipped than the corolla it replaced did.

(06-13-2015, 08:25 PM)gstanford Wrote: [Image: 1970_Toyota_Corona_4-door.jpg]

That may be the saddest vehicle I have ever seen. :(

You probably could not give that to a homeless guy in the USA.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. There are still thousands of them on the road world-wide. They are unkillable.

The only reason I got rid of mine was I didn't want the cost of converting the head to use unleaded petrol, so I got a modern Corolla instead.

(06-14-2015, 07:11 AM)gstanford Wrote: I wouldn't be so sure of that.  There are still thousands of them on the road world-wide.  They are unkillable.

The only reason I got rid of mine was I didn't want the cost of converting the head to use unleaded petrol, so I got a modern Corolla instead.

I've seen that sort of longevity here in America, check out at 2:18 when a shovel nose like car appears:

Rolleyes

Really? This again?

Gstan loves his Yaris and there isnt anything wrong with that.

Rollo, you act like you want to take that away from him. People like different things. You like full size, US made trucks. Its pointless to go back and forth in circles. Trust me, grstan dislikes your truck as much as you dislike the yaris. Lets just move on.
(06-14-2015, 08:29 AM)ocre Wrote: Really?  This again?

Gstan loves his Yaris and there isnt anything wrong with that.  

Rollo, you act like you want to take that away from him.   People like different things.  You like full size, US made trucks. Its pointless to go back and forth in circles.   Trust me, grstan dislikes your truck as much as you dislike the yaris.   Lets just move on.

First, I've noted the Yaris is a fine subcompact car. My point all along has been Americans demand more from a car.

My last post states that it is directed at the idea of a 1966 Toyota shovel nose being on the road in 2015, driven by Gstan's friend. (cobbled to run on new gas no less)

If you saw a cobbled 1966 econobox car on the road, would you think it was driven by a person with a normal job, or some guys like the ones in the movie?

Not any 1966 econoboxes in the lot where I work. Some Yaris's I'm sure, but no 1966 econoboxes.
But those Yaris's in the parking lot wouldn't belong to anyone you know, right Rollo?........ Rolleyes You're a pathetic spinmeister.

You would be rather surprised who might enjoy driving older reliable classic cars you know.  I'll grant you that a 1966 Corona probably is a rarity in the USA though, Corona became well known/popular there around 1973 with the fuel crisis.  The T80 is what you would likely see.

[Image: 560px-1973ToyotaCorona.jpg]

(06-14-2015, 06:37 PM)gstanford Wrote: But those Yaris's in the parking lot wouldn't belong to anyone you know, right Rollo?........   Rolleyes  You're a pathetic spinmeister.

No spin, I have no doubts Yaris's are decent subcompacts.

I also have no doubts subcompact cars are not the mainstream American auto market, as I have argued all along.

You are correct that I don't know anyone who drives a subcompact car, because a. the sentence above this one is true b. I'm in my freaking early 50s. In the USA, you don't stuff yourself into a tiny subcompact once you can afford a bigger car.
You've said before that nobody you know drives a Yaris, yet you are sure there may be one or two at your work's parking lot. Caught in your own spin!

(06-14-2015, 07:02 PM)gstanford Wrote: You've said before that nobody you know drives a Yaris, yet you are sure there may be one or two at your work's parking lot.  Caught in your own spin!

Some of the kids fresh out of college drive subcompacts, so I see them in the lot but don't really notice if they are Yaris's. I can't say for sure there is a Yaris in the lot.

The people I "know" and work with are all older, no subcompacts.

Do you say you "know" people you've never spoken to?
Quote:Do you say you "know" people you've never spoken to?
No, I don't.

Quote:You are correct that I don't know anyone who drives a subcompact car, because a. the sentence above this one is true b. I'm in my freaking early 50s. In the USA, you don't stuff yourself into a tiny subcompact once you can afford a bigger car.
So you are saying that Toyota, Nissan, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Honda, KIA, Hyundia etc should all just close up their USA dealerships and go home because no americans ever purchase their cars and never have?!

You're fucking pathetic!

(06-14-2015, 07:31 PM)gstanford Wrote: So you are saying that Toyota, Nissan, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Honda, KIA, Hyundia etc should all just close up their USA dealerships and go home because no americans ever purchase their cars and never have?!

You're fucking pathetic!

I'm not saying that at all, we have people that need affordable transportation as well:

How did a thread about the Xbox turn into a flame fest about Rollo's opinions about economy cars?
(06-11-2015, 10:48 AM)gstanford Wrote:
(06-10-2015, 11:32 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Rolleyes

Sony could enable portable HDD storage tomorrow if they wanted to.  

The K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) principle applies here, consumers like Sony's "bare bones" approach (just like consumers world wide love simple, basic, reliable Toyota cars).  The sales figures vs XBONE prove it.

Super Moderator Gstan switched it to cars in post #5 Sick Beast, I just followed the discussion and attempted to explain the US auto market is different again.

I probably wouldn't have been so snarky about it toward the end, but being called f*cking pathetic" brings out the smack down instinct.
Gstan,

Rollo is right and rollo is wrong.

The US is actually not one big entity anymore. It is evolving and changing faster than most older people are comfortable with. Everything rollo is saying, well, it has some truth especially the further back in time you go.

Today, the US markets is more like a bunch of different markets. Different parts of the US have different views. See, rollo is wrong for thinking that sub compacts are cars only for people who cant afford more. It is true that being affordable is an appeal but then there is the environmentalist who buy these cars for very different reasons.
Sub compacts are popular with younger crowds as well. And perhaps budget is a factor to many young people but there are some that spend tens of thousands just modding and decking out their rides. It wasnt a money issue, they do it because in their groups it is cool.

The US Rollo speaks of does exist.......but this country is a lot bigger than his view. It is growing out in all directions all at once.

Here is a great article. Subcompact is not just about saving money anymore.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-...ord-fiesta
Don't worry Rollo is only making himself look childish, not me.

In Australia we are even more dependent on cars than the USA is. Take a look at a map of australia and the distances between major cities, not to mention the rural properties.

In spite of that small cars are a major success story here. Australians probably own more cars per household than nearly anywhere else on the planet and keep them longer.

You will find a common theme of the past (getting less common now as small cars simply keep getting better and better and the old-fashioned buyers die out) is one large V6 or V8 vehicle and at least one small vehicle.

Nobody with any brains in their head commutes to and from work in a large vehicle unless that large vehicle is related to their work. Why burn up your paycheck in fuels costs when you don't have to?! Of course there are petrol heads, posers and "too-rich-to-care" types like Rollo that do anyway, there will always be exceptions.

Rollo's junk nissan in the video was obviously an abused vehicle (nissan bluebirds are a favorite cheap street racing car amongst petrol heads). 99.9% of vehicles sold to people who use cars responsibly and appropriately don't end up anything like that.

The Australian automotive manufacturing industry is shutting down entirely by 2017, the reason why is because hardly anybody wants to purchase the v6 and V8 large cars that they assemble at Ford and Holden (GM) anymore (Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon). As for the factories that assemble asian cars locally, it is cheaper nowadays to close the plant down and have the vehicles built in Indonesia then shipped here.

Quote:Super Moderator Gstan switched it to cars in post #5
The fact that I happen to be a (spam) moderator here is completely and utterly irrelevant to the topic. I never asked to be a moderator, Dave asked me to be one out of the blue. I accepted in order to help ABT out. It just so happens that Super Moderators are the only ones able to purge spammers, regular modship can't do that, and once again, late last week I simply logged into the forums and discovered that Dave had now made me (and SteelCrysis) a Super Moderator.

If you have problems with that, go cry to Dave.

Gstan, what do you do for fun down under?

I'm at a vacation rental now that I towed my 150hp boat to. Couldn't do that with a Yaris.

Last weekend I was out on a river backwater with a friend in my 16'5" canoe fishing. While you "can" do that with a Yaris, and I have, it's a LOT easier to just throw all the stuff in the back of the pickup.

What if my son wants to ride his Honda 100 at our cabin? Yaris toting that?

EVERY week in the winter my 6'X3' (collapsed) ice shanty and power auger are in the back of my truck. No go with the Yaris.

Which brings up another point- we have winter. Cabin is on an unplowed private road, and it's a lot easier to drive out on a lake to fish than slog through the snow. (not to mention 4WD is safer on the snow covered roads)

Every week of the year I use the bed of my truck, and most weeks I use the 4wd. (watch people without 4wd pull a boat up a slippery ramp and you'll see why)

Owning a Yaris would change my whole existence, and not for the better. It would just suck.

How about my wife, who commutes to work in the Challenger and drives our son to sports practices until we give him the Challenger later this year?

She drives about 9000 miles a year, and gets 20mpg with the 305hp Challenger. If she got 30mpg with a sub compact, she would save a whole 150 gallons of gas a year. This costs $375 here. You saw the crash results of the Yaris, and I think I posted the crash results of the Challenger. It's worth the extra $10K acquisition price, and $400/year for gas, for them to be in a safe, comfortable car to me. (the Challenger has heated leather bucket seats with electric positioning, dual zone climate control, sun roof, 8 speaker satellite radio- it's a very comfortable car to drive)

It's a quality of life thing Gstan. Hate on me all you want, but that is the long and short of it. (and probably is for most Americans)

Ocre, the environmentalists I know bought into the Prious/Volt hybrid concept and spent over $30K on their cars anyway.

They still can't tell me how using electricity produced by burning coal or nuclear energy, and storing it in highly toxic giant batteries is "better" for the environment, but they feel "green" so good for them I guess.
Yaris safety is absolutely fine except maybe for head on collisions. Don't have "accidents" and it doesn't even matter.
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/car...is/Safety/

I don't tow boats or go bush or cart motorcycles around. If I did, I'd grab a Toyota pickup to do that. It wouldn't replace the Yaris for regular everyday driving.

Your son would be able to fit all his sports gear into the Yaris without issue.

We have snowy winters here in Tasmania too - at Cradle Mountain and Mount Wellington primarily. You could get Yaris to both locations in a snowy winter with no trouble at all.

Don't know what you pay for fuel in the USA but here a liter (not a gallon, a liter) of E10 (unleaded plus 10% ethanol) costs $1.33 AU ($1.03 US).

As for your friends with the electric car, perhaps they chose a power company that generates power from Hydro or wind, maybe they also have solar panels on their houses.

Like Ocre said, you don't speak for most americans, certainly not the younger ones I would suggest. You are firmly stuck in the 50's and 60's. You say you are nearly 50, well I'm 47 and I see the world the way most young people see it, you are already in your rocking chair in front of a fireplace smoking a pipe remembering how it used to be back in the "good old days".

(06-15-2015, 08:16 PM)gstanford Wrote: Don't know what you pay for fuel in the USA but here a liter (not a gallon, a liter) of E10 (unleaded plus 10% ethanol) costs $1.33 AU ($1.03 US).
1 gallon = 3.7854118 liters, so the price of E10 per gallon where you live is USD 3.90.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(06-15-2015, 08:16 PM)gstanford Wrote: I don't tow boats or go bush or cart motorcycles around. If I did, I'd grab a Toyota pickup to do that. It wouldn't replace the Yaris for regular everyday driving.

You say you are nearly 50, well I'm 47 and I see the world the way most young people see it, you are already in your rocking chair in front of a fireplace smoking a pipe remembering how it used to be back in the "good old days".

I'm in a rocking chair by my fireplace?

I'm at my cabin or a rental cabin more weeks of the year than not. EVERY week of the year I'm out either fishing, boating, canoeing, duck hunting, or ice fishing. I even ride the young man's Honda 100.

How about you?

As far as my ideas being from the "old days":

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/04/usa...gures.html

Notice only ONE car with YTD sales over 100K units sold? And that is a $30K car, not a Yaris.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/04/usa...5-ytd.html

And the top three selling full size pickups sell over 100K units, with the F150 and Silverado/Sierra almost selling 200K units. A lot more people here think like me than you.

None of which changes the fact that a full size pickup is the ultimate vehicle for utility, safety, and comfort, and it's just pretty dumb to buy a marginal pickup and a marginal car to accomplish the same thing one nice full size pick up could for the same price. (actually less when you consider 2X maintenance, 2X storage cost, 2X insurance cost)

People in America are smart: we don't shaft ourselves on safety and utility to save a few gallons of gas a year.
(06-11-2015, 05:04 PM)gstanford Wrote: You don't take a PS4 apart to replace the hard drive.  You slide off one plastic top cover and remove one screw.  Your granny could do it blindfolded.

You'd better be a damn fast walker if you want to talk with me while I'm travelling up an on ramp in my Yaris.  You don't need ridiculous amounts of horsepower when there is only a lightweight car body to push along.  Have you forgotten your high-school physics (or did you party through that just like you did college first time around)?

Wait...you drive a Yaris?

gstanford
and yet in the wake of the US car industry meltdown the American car industry promised the government in writing, published in major newspapers, that they would stop focusing on pickup trucks and SUV's and start developing cars that people actually want (cars a lot more like a Yaris than a pickup truck).

At least we know what the US car industries promises are worth - nothing. No wonder they are fighting Tesla tooth and nail over direct vs dealership sales, otherwise Tesla would wipe the dinosaurs out overnight.

And no, if the F150 magically cost the same as my Yaris both to purchase and fuel, I still would not want to purchase it over my Yaris. American SUV's and pickup trucks belong on railway lines, not urban streets!

You are way off base here.  I'm part of a pretty good-sized auto dealer group.  We have 2 Toyota Dealerships, 4 Dodge, 3 Ford, and one GM.  Small cars are popular with oil at $120 a barrel, but with the "new normal" or ~ $60 oil, nobody with means is buying them.  The government and the manufacturers are going to have to subsidize them indefinitely, at least here in the US.  In other countries it makes a lot of sense, but over here we have nice, large, open roads that don't require a go-kart to be navigable.

Oh, and Tesla? Really? They only exist at all due to HUGE government subsidies. Even at $120 a barrel oil, Tesla was marginal at best. They are years away from being able to make money without help. Elon Musk is a badass, don't get me wrong, but he didn't reinvent the wheel here (or the car)...he just did a really good job of mooching off of the government. He is betting the entire company on huge improvements in battery technology over the next few years, and even then he'll really struggle unless Iran/Iraq/Saudi Arabia/Egypt/etc etc all go to war. With nukes.

By the way, Auto DEALERS are fighting Tesla because of his determination to circumvent us when selling his cars, the manufacturers (the guys who made the fuel economy promises) have no skin in that game. If anything, they're probably laughing at Tesla because of it...they've all tried and failed at selling cars to consumers directly. Now, that doesn't mean that Elon Musk couldn't do it himself, and it doesn't mean that it's impossible to do it on a $100k + boutique car with personalized service technicians who go out to your house to fix anything that breaks. But, it will be orders of magnitude more difficult to sell a mass-market product in the future using that same distribution model. Tesla would be well-served to start using franchised dealers to market/sell their cars, they could make a fortune in licensing fees, micromanage the entire process, etc etc... A good model for them would be Lexus dealers, any number of those guys would pay absurd money for a chance to sell Teslas, and their ability to take care of customers and create a real "WOW" buying/ownership experience is second to none.

I do agree with you that a Yaris would be a lot more pleasurable to drive in mostly city driving situations though. I'm currently driving a large SUV, it works great out where I live but it's a chore to drive it in town.

(06-12-2015, 06:01 PM)gstanford Wrote: I have a Wii console buried somewhere.

I dispute that my Yaris is a lesser car than an F150.  To me a car is a means of getting from point A to point B first and foremost.  The cheaper it can do this and the more reliably it can do this determines how good it is to me, not how many pointless toys and luxuries and distractions are crammed into its cabin.

My Yaris has all the instrumentation you require to operate it properly it has seating that is comfortable enough and it has a weatherproof cargo storage area.  It is economical to purchase, maintain and run.  And it will be running long after your oversized monstrosity has a date with destiny in a car crusher.

Toyota quality is not what it used to be, and Ford's quality is enormously better now.  Plus, Ford makes a disproportionate % of their income off of the F150, whereas Toyota makes Jack Squat on a Yaris.  If I had to gamble on it, I'd predict that an average F150 built and sold today would last longer than an average Yaris.  And I don't work for our Ford or Toyota stores, though I am very good friends with dealers from both.  I just texted one of my Toyota friends with the following query:  What vehicle do you think will last longer for one purchased today: F150 or Yaris?  I can't wait to see reply.