Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressure Is On Motherboard Makers
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150623PD207.html
Quote:Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) has announced that it will no longer actively market own-brand DIY motherboards but will undertake ODM/OEM production if clients have demand, and this is the equivalent of a gradual withdrawal from the global own-brand DIY motherboard market, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

This is because global demand for DIY motherboards is shrinking and ECS has been faced with increasing price competition from Asustek Computer and Gigabyte Technology, the two largest Taiwan-based vendors, especially in the China market, the sources said. Under the situation, another Taiwan-based DIY motherboard vendor is expected to follow suit by quitting the own-brand market in 2016, the sources indicated.

ECS has shifted its business focus from DIY motherboards to ODM production of notebooks and tablets as well as production of mini-PCs for own-brand sale, the sources said.

ASRock, Micro-Star International and Biostar Microtech International, three other Taiwan-based DIY motherboard vendors, have encountered the same situation as ECS, the sources noted.

ASRock focuses on marketing of mid-range and high-end DIY motherboard models in 2015 and, in addition, has extended own-brand production to servers and industrial motherboards, the sources said. Micro-Star and Biostar are expected to ship about 6.0 million DIY motherboards and below 3.0 million units, respectively, in 2015, the sources indicated.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
ECS are PC-Chips - the garbage of the computer component manufacturing world, it is no surprise whatsoever to see them being the first to retreat from the retail consumer market.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(06-25-2015, 10:17 PM)gstanford Wrote: ECS are PC-Chips - the garbage of the computer component manufacturing world, it is no surprise whatsoever to see them being the first to retreat from the retail consumer market.

The only Motherboard I could not get the PC going was a PC-chips board. I finally had to give up and put an ASUS board in the rig back in the day.
What's really alarming is what the article also said-that MSI and ASRock are feeling the pressure too.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(06-26-2015, 12:22 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 10:17 PM)gstanford Wrote: ECS are PC-Chips - the garbage of the computer component manufacturing world, it is no surprise whatsoever to see them being the first to retreat from the retail consumer market.

The only Motherboard I could not get the PC going was a PC-chips board. I finally had to give up and put an ASUS board in the rig back in the day.

PC-Chips blows goats.

I remember back in the 3DFx days I actually got much lower benchmarks using one of their POS boards. Replaced with name brand, all was well.

The PC Chips stinker worked but I got around 8fps lower than websites IIRC.
well.................
darn!!!!
ECS is denying the report: http://www.babeltechreviews.com/communit...hp?tid=249
Who knows what that engrish really says. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin