Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acer 28" 4K inbound
Decided to try the 4K/G-sync fad.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB280HK-bprz-...B00O0Z5682

I figure the worst that can happen is I have to go back to using my Dell 3008 1600P panel and this goes on my spare computer, or I sell it and buy another 1600P panel.

Thought I would try the 4K thing with my 980 Ti, see if G-sync makes it a workable combo.

Perhaps I'll join you on the "4K lover" position Steel Crysis.

Saw good reviews of this panel, other than some mentions of ghosting if framerate dipped too low, we'll see. Not ready to jump on the Karamikatopitsu etc bandwagon of companies I've never heard of.
I havent really talked about it too much but gsync is pretty phenomenal.

Some of the things that really blow me away:
1) lower framerate smoothness. 35fps feels like 60fps on my old panel. Of course you might expect the animation to stay pretty smooth, like the demo shows, but games feel way more responsive at lower framerates.
It has me scratching my head as to how this can be. Without Gsync, frame rates drop and the entire engine adjust the internal clock rate to try to keep the game timing from racing and slowing down. Its actually pretty fascination. Gysnc will start doubling up frames when the framerate goes down. I believe this has some effect on the game engine as well. Something is going on that blows me away. Without gsync, framerate goes down and you can feel the sluggishness just as much (or more) than you see it. The responsiveness/lag or whatever you may call it, these things suffer when framerates go down. Gsync, its magically gone. Framerates in the 30s and 40s not only look smooth, the game is much more responsive. Without a fps overlay, you would have no idea. Responsiveness/lag feels like your at frame rates much much higher.

2) Games with large swings in frame rates. Gsync is great in those environments. We keep getting more games that have these large sways in fps just by panning the camera or turning a corner. Gsync handles this pretty well.

Those are all i got time to talk about right now. #1 is the most impressive to me. People say gaming at over 60hz, you will never go back. Well, think that the lower framerate responsiveness impressed me far more than gaming at 100hz/100fps. Gaming at higher refresh rates is great but playing at 35- 40fps and have it feeling like frame rates twice is much...........now that is something you have to experience to appreciate

To me, that is by far the most impressive thing about gsync. I have a hard time understanding how freesync is supposed to be the same. Most freesync panels are limited and dont go that low. When they are in the 40s, the flicker and have ghosting. Then people say that its fine because no one would buy a >60hz panel and play in 40s. But, to me, i am scratching my head. That is one of the greatest things about gsync. The way low framerates feel like much higher framerates. It is a huge deal. Framerates bouncing low and higher, all while smooth... that is gsync in all its glory.
Playing at high framerates without tearing.......if you have a card that can produce a steady real high fps in a particular game, all you need is a high hz monitor. At high frame rates, the added latency of vsync is not much of an issue at all. who cares about 7-8ms.

I would say that avoiding tearing without adding latency is not what is great about gsync. But so many seem to think that is what it is about. I guess it is hard to convey the massive improvement at lower framerates, just discussing tearing to the layman is hard enough. But, if freesync doesnt nothing to improve lower framerate expierence, if you have to play at higher framerates...............it is nothing like gsync at all.

Let me just talk about one game, GTA 5.
Maxed out settings, TXAA and ultra grass. Played fine on my 980 until i got to the outskirts of the city. Then and there, the frame rate drops in the 30s and the expierence feels terrible. Going from 55-60fps (vsync) to sub 40 in a split second felt like a train wreck. Just trying to drive thru a field (in the 30s and 40s), felt so sluggish and just terrible. I tried changing to FXAA and turning off Nvidia shadows but those low frame rates were so terrible feeling i couldnt stand it. And as much as i loved the look of ultra grass, i just could not have it on. It was a bummer.

I found people with titanX were turning off ultra grass because of the real crappy feeling when the frame rate dropped. The game was so smooth in non grass lands and puke ugly in the outskirts. TitanX owners turning off ultras Grass in GTA 5.
Fast forward to my gysnc purchase.

I never found the gysnc montor that was perfect for me. But i ended up snagging an xb270H for merely 349 bucks. A friend gave me the heads up and the monitor was exactly as he said. Everything with the original plastic, no indication of any previous owners, perfect screen, no dead pixels. The only draw back, it is a 27 in 1080 panel. To me, it matters none. I dont have perfect vision and i was more interesting 144hz. The monitor is amassing. It really truly is. As my opinion. I figured a single 980 wouldnt be enough for high frame rates at a high resolution anyway, not without turning off/down settings- which i dont want to do.

I didnt know, and found out later, high Hz and frame rates are not needed for gysnc. Actually, sub 60fps feels like much much higher frame rates. And in all the freesync vs gsync debates, i think this gets lost. It is so impressive, i have no idea why. It may be that i visit the wrong sites to often, idk. I cant say enough about it though, it is a big huge ability. So much so, that now back in GTA 5. I play ultra settings and ultra grass, TXAA. Without vsync, my frame rates range from as high as the 80s to 30s depending where i am and what i look at. I can drive straight from the city (82fps), into the outskirts (45fps), into a grass field doing donuts (35fps). It doesnt matter, it is all the same. I cant even tell the frame rate drops, only the overlay tells me. Anyway, the difference is so huge that I dont think my words would do it justice.
A drastic difference.

The best part is that i just wasnt even expecting those kind of improvements. See, it is not just the animation appears smoother.......The responsiveness, the lag, getting out of the car and running, it just feels in every way like twice the frame rate.

So, now I am playing ultra settings/ ultra grass (in the grasslands) with a 980 no problem now.

Rollo, i would love to hear you feedback once you get your monitor. Please let us know
What you are describing is what I was hoping to get out of this. I wanted to try 4K, but did not want to buy a second 980 Ti. (been spending a lot of cash lately)

So, I figured if I got the G-sync panel I could play in the 30s-40s and hopefully have smooth motion without tearing. I've seen the G-Sync reviews, and some 4K reviews, but I haven't been gaming as much for a while now. Gaming has never been my main hobby, always more about the outdoors, but now my son is getting into PC gaming and the hardware and I'm starting to see it through his eyes. (Which has re-kindled my interest and my desire to have more current stuff for the main box- will be this monitor, 4790K, 980 Ti unless it turns out that won't cut it)

I've always thought if you got pixel density high enough it would lessen the need for edge AA, so I'm interested to see if 50% higher pixel density is enough.
Yeah, it seems like it should. But I believe there is more to it. Some games have aliasing issues on certain things but fantastic in other places. Crisis 3, unity, and gta5 are all guilty. There is more to it, but a 28in 4k screen, that is extremely dense. First hand, I have never seen a screen that dense. But I have seen some screens with high density and aliasing was apparent. Depending on the game and the scene.

As for Gsync, in the games I have played, the ability of lower frame rates being smooth is very real. It impressed me far more than anything else. But it's only up to a point. See, I say 30s but hat is also where it starts breaking down. Mid 30s and upper 30s are great. Keep going down, from 35 and the magic stops. When your frame rates are struggling at 30-32, hitching happens. It is not where you want to be. I believe the Gsync solution is to double the frames displayed things start going slow and it works well. But I think the low 30s - high 20s is another divide point, one that is pretty worthless. It's just beyond hope at that point. Gsync isn't able to produce a great experience there.

Crazy is what happens there. See, if I lock the frame rate on a game that gets good framers the anyway, lock that game at 30fps and it is fine. But turning settings up so intense that the frame rate suffers into the low 31-32fps, it's hitching and stutter city. It may be that some of these frame times are longer and Gsync is struggling beyond its limit. It's not really the low 30s that break it, a game that is running something like 38fps, 40, 35, 36, 32, 35, 34, 36, etc will be fine. Really good. But if it's struggling at low 30s the whole time, it's a mess,

At least on the games I have tried.

But, a game like batman AK with its locked 30fps cap, somehow it is butter smooth.
No joke, smooth at 30fps. It's kind of crazy.

The only thing I can figure is that when gaming at settings that intense cause some frame times to be long and then Gsync can't do anything with it.

So, back to batman AK. It is a really really fun game. My son and I have been playing it. I tried unlocking the frame cap, it's just a mess like that. Totally broken. Frame cap on 30 is alright, especially with Gsync. I actually turned it up to 40 just because, I have a hard time stomaching 30fps because of nothing but conditioning. So it's max frame rate is 40fps, which is quite smooth and fun. There is the occasional stutter and hitching from the broken game engine, but they are not consistent and their randomness hasn't taken away the fun level.
This is one of the worst performing PC games in awhile. They even halted selling the game until it is fixed. But it is actually quite fun for us, even in its broken state. And perhaps that is due to Gsync.

See, Gsync is great. It's more than a solution for tearing. But it can't smooth out broken game engines. What it can do is make lower fps feel much smoother and be more responsive.

The hitching in batman AK is severe at times with an unlocked frame cap. The frame cap reduces to a rare non issue. The hitching in watchdogs was much longer pauses and far to often.

I really love Gsync and now that I know what it does at lower fps, what it feels like, I am not so afraid of getting a higher resolution monitor.
Your info is all good news, I'm getting pretty excited to try the Gsync 4K. In Techpowerups review of the 980 Ti only 3 of 20 games didn't average at least 35fps so I'm hoping I'll be good to go for the most part with low lag, no stuttering, and no tearing.

If not I'll evaluate if I want to stick at 4K and buy another 980Ti, stick at 4K on the cheap and sell the 980Ti to offset cost of 980 SLi, or just add another 290 Ice Q to my 1600p rig and call it a day.

I haven't tried anything unusual in the PC gaming since I was running 3 X 24" 3d Vision.
Which 980ti are you getting?

If you can run one at over 1400mhz you will be much faster than the tpu reviews
(07-01-2015, 12:36 PM)ocre Wrote: Which 980ti are you getting?  

If you can run one at over 1400mhz you will be much faster than the tpu reviews

I have a reference Gigabyte, bought as soon as they went on sale. You have a point, I could add one of the EVGA Hybrid coolers for $100 and run at higher clocks.

Or I might be able to just OC. HAF 932 case, closed loop on 4790k, and ambient is always around 70 in that room.
EVGA doesn't sell graphics card CLC kits, Corsair and NZXT do.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(07-01-2015, 09:32 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: EVGA doesn't sell graphics card CLC kits, Corsair and NZXT do.

Au contraire, mon frère.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.asp...HY-0996-B1
So how is the reference cooler?

You know, with the smear campaign I don't know what to believe.
Does your 980ti sustain its boost clocks? Will it overclock without sounding like a tornado?

See, I run my 980 overclocked on all my demanding games. Although depending on the game, I can run it higher, I have settled for 1450mhz boost clocks. Just slid the power/temp slider and bump up the offset slider to +230 and that is it. Fan is on auto.

When I game, the fan I hear is my closed loop lq320. It's not a loud cooler at all, it's just the 980 reference isn't working too hard with my card at 1450mhz.
60% fan speed is just not loud on the reference 980. I have seen the fan speed up that high once when I tabbed out of a game. I don't pay it much mind because it's just not an issue.

Maybe it is because I have it in a case, idk. But I just manually put the fan at 100% and all I hear is air. No pitch, no annoying tones, just a lot of air.

It's actually one of the quietest cards I have ever heard with fans wide open. Certainly it is not quieter than a TF when they are both in auto, but it's not loud by any means.

I have had many cards, this one isn't bad. I wouldn't say it is the best, but it is decent.

Just wanted to know how the 980ti is. I believe it has a vapor chamber, the gm104 does not. My temps seem to aim from 80-83c in the most demanding titles. that is where the auto fans keep it. At 83 the fans ramp up and it drops back to the upper 70s-80c.
I could just lock my fan speed and drop my temps to the 70c or lower, but I don't even care. I don't think 80c is a big deal. That is actually where nvidia designed the chip to aim for, and your 980ti should also automatically stay around those temps.

Have you monitored your boost to see if it sustains or tried any overclocking?
The most important thing is the power limit. Just pushing it up should hold your boost in all your games.
(07-02-2015, 05:56 AM)ocre Wrote: So how is the reference cooler?

You know, with the smear campaign I don't know what to believe.
Does your 980ti sustain its boost clocks?  Will it overclock without sounding like a tornado?

See, I run my 980 overclocked on all my demanding games.  Although depending on the game, I can run it higher, I have settled for 1450mhz boost clocks. Just slid the power/temp slider and bump up the offset slider to +230 and that is it.  Fan is on auto.  

When I game, the fan I hear is my closed loop lq320.  It's not a loud cooler at all, it's just the 980 reference isn't working too hard with my card at 1450mhz.
60% fan speed is just not loud on the reference 980.  I have seen the fan speed up that high once when I tabbed out of a game. I don't pay it much mind because it's just not an issue.

Maybe it is because I have it in a case, idk.  But I just manually put the fan at 100% and all I hear is air.  No pitch, no annoying tones, just a lot of air.  

It's actually one of the quietest cards I have ever heard with fans wide open.  Certainly it is not quieter than a TF when they are both in auto, but it's not loud by any means.

I have had many cards, this one isn't bad. I wouldn't say it is the best, but it is decent.

Just wanted to know how the 980ti is.  I believe it has a vapor chamber, the gm104 does not.  My temps seem to aim from 80-83c in the most demanding titles. that is where the auto fans keep it.  At 83 the fans ramp up and it drops back to the upper 70s-80c.
I could just lock my fan speed and drop my temps to the 70c or lower, but I don't even care.  I don't think 80c is a big deal.  That is actually where nvidia designed the chip to aim for, and your 980ti should also automatically stay around those temps.

Have you monitored your boost to see if it sustains or tried any overclocking?
The most important thing is the power limit.  Just pushing it up should hold your boost in all your games.

I can't answer that because I haven't measured boost, changed fan speeds, or OCd the card. Have not noticed noise or throttling, the Ti does have a vapor chamber.

I attribute the noise complaints to a. AMD team red b. enthusiasts who run the part way above spec and then wonder why the fan is not designed to be quiet way above spec.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-n...i-review/2

Quote: And truth be told it’s hard to fault NVIDIA right now, as this design remains the gold (well, aluminum) standard for a blower. Looks aside, after years of blowers that rattled, or were too loud, or didn’t cool discrete components very well, NVIDIA is sitting on a very solid design that I’m not really sure how anyone would top

AMD has water cooling because AMD needs water cooling to (almost) compete. In my opinion the Fury X is basically a factory OCd card, operating at it's maximum potential. I believe AMD straight out lied about it being "an overclockers dream", pure marketing. The best samples they have end up with reviewers, and reviewers are not seeing good OCing with Fiji.

Personally I typically don't OC, and I for sure don't over volt, too much cash in play to risk on a high end graphics card. I'd rather spend more money and upgrade to 980 SLi or get another 980 Ti than try to run this part at 1400MHz.

If the card was damaged by that I'd be out $659, more risk than I'd take personally. Could never RMA a part I OCd, because there's no way of knowing if the OC contributed to the failure. (and it likely did)
yeah,

thats funny.

moving the sliders for boost 2.0 is not dangerously overclocking. I have overclocked just about every GPU/CPU i have ever owned, I dont get aggressive with it. Never once done a single RMA on something i overclocked, never once had an issue on something i overclocked.

The 4.2-4.4ghz I run on my CPU uses voltages well within Intel specs (1.288v) and my GPU 1450Mhz and beyond is achieved without overvolting. higher voltage on boost 2.0 usually hampers your overclock more than it helps.

Degeneration happens to every chip regardless. Extreme voltages can damage, yes that is true. But chips have a voltage range and as long as you are within them, it is a matter of heat/cooling. Since nvidia designs their reference chips to run at 80-83c and you cant really overvolt maxwell without custom bios or hardmods., there is no accelerated degeneration. The silicon is running well within spec.

GPUs go out all the time, components fail, capacitors pop, etc. Every single component used has a premature failure rate. A lot of effort is put into finding issues before they end up in the field. But there are still failures despite. Failures that have nothing to do with overclocking.

Anyway, I kind of cant stand mulitGPU myself. The inconsistent frame times, microstutter, and the fact that some games dont even have support.....those are deal breakers for me. There is no way i would buy a 980ti and not run it at its max boost capabilities. Considering that an overclocked 980 non ti is so close to a 980ti stock, its unfortunate

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/...0_ti/6.htm
(shrugs)

My old GPUs end up with friends, I'd have a hard time taking money for something ran far out of spec. (and you're the one who noted "The most important thing is the power limit. Just pushing it up should hold your boost in all your games.")

I'm not as against OCing at OEM power, but it has always been my position you can run GPUs out of spec for a little gain, or do SLi for a lot. NVIDIA has had hardware and software for frame pacing for a long time now, and FCAT shows they're pretty good at limiting stutter and normalizing frame times.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gef...iew,9.html

Quote:SLI card performance wise there are no stutters (spikes in the chart) recorded, BUT there is good and bad news, the bad news is that you can see a lot of framedrops. This issue continued persistently through all FCAT results. We are still investigating what is going on there as we are seeing the same with the 970 in SLI. Again these are not stutters, frame-drops at 6 to 8 ms like these can not be seen with your eyes unless is is a repetitive lasting sequence (that's the good news).

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gef...ew,18.html

But look at the 41% increase at 4K in the Metro game your linked benches referred to- you'd never get close to that at any safe OC.
Oh, I don't mean that a 980 overclocked is as good as the 980ti.

It might get close in some cases, but it never actually catches it. It cannot. But, it does get close in a lot of games.

At one time, long ago, I considered selling the 980 to pick up Fiji. At that time, I was thinking Fiji would be faster than titanX. Turns out, as time went by, I was certain that Fiji was t gonna be the performer it was being hyped to be.

I went with a 1080 144hz Gsync monitor. It was my plan forward. I actually never owned a modern monitor over 60hz. I really wanted that experience. But I was having a hard time picking a panel until I heard about this one for 350. It makes a lot of sense as eventually it will be in my sons room. And 144hz is not a waste for a 980 at 1080.

I have had this 980 for a long time now and I always look at the new cards coming down.
The 980ti vs the 980 OC is an important to me for obvious reasons. It's got to be enough of an upgrade before I consider it.

But I honestly don't know how much further I should carry this old platform. Pcie2.0 and this old CPU. suprisingly, it keeps up well when I cross reference with review sites. It's hard to know where some sites do their review runs, they don't disclose it. But heaven, gta5, inquisition, etc- i get nearly identical frame rates. But I am not a fool. Right now I get 98-99% the frame rates of overclocked haswells, but i am not confident SLIing cards as powerful as the 980 and up. Pcie2.0 has its limits.

I am not even sure how much further I can push this platform with more powerful single cards. I wanted for so long for broadwell and now that wait extends to skylake. I just want to see the landscape and go from there. I would hate to upgrade my whole platform for a card 25% faster though. Perhaps I will ride this system out until pascal. All I know is that I keep pushing the upgrade out, this is the most uneventful times ever in PC. And I guess that depresses me
Eh, I don't know that it's boring times.

Check out that factory OCd 980 Ti beating a stock 980 by 33% for $690, even beats a Titan by 11%. (at 4K)

That's not bad value, a lot of power for that much money, and on a single GPU. (and it's warranted!)

Between 980Tis and 4790Ks, I'd say it is a GREAT time to build a rig.
OK, so I've hooked up the Acer 4K G-Sync and my son and I have gamed.

Me:

Bioshock looked amazing played very well. Very smooth motion and incredible sharpness at 4K res.

Metro looked great, but had some stuttering in spots. I'll try it without the AAA next time. Nonetheless, after a few moments of my son laughing hysterically and saying I'm "keyboard impaired" I pulled it together and started capping Russkies until they were all deceased. I don't think it would have been playable at all at that res without the G-sync, but I'll need to find better settings there.

Son:

Played Counter Strike games and was amazed how different the game looked, and how smooth it played with G-Sync. He got second in the first match he played in, then first.

I was surprised at the lack of jaggies on hanging power lines, and old test of AA.

The Acer monitor is definitely lower grade than the Dell 3008 it replaces in terms of build quality, but the 4K picture quality is awesome.

I didn't notice any wash out from TN , but I didn't kneel in front of the desk either.
Quote:I am not even sure how much further I can push this platform with more powerful single cards. I wanted for so long for broadwell and now that wait extends to skylake. I just want to see the landscape and go from there. I would hate to upgrade my whole platform for a card 25% faster though. Perhaps I will ride this system out until pascal. All I know is that I keep pushing the upgrade out, this is the most uneventful times ever in PC. And I guess that depresses me
I'm not at all concerned about "uneventful hardware times", certainly not depressed by it. We have ridiculously powerful hardware sitting in front of us nowadays and software is barely using 5% of its true capabilities. Time for the software guys to extract their finger a notch or two and start actually using the available computing power imo.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(07-04-2015, 03:41 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Eh, I don't know that it's boring times.

Check out that factory OCd 980 Ti beating a stock 980 by 33% for $690, even beats a Titan by 11%. (at 4K)

That's not bad value, a lot of power for that much money, and on a single GPU. (and it's warranted!)

Between 980Tis and 4790Ks, I'd say it is a GREAT time to build a rig.

Well, look at the 390x rehashed 290x. It is matching a stock 980, more or less. The 290x came out when? That 33$ looks a little skimpy considering how long we have had 980ish performance.

I wanted to sell my 980 and pick up fiji......until it came out slower than the titanX.
Since then, i have thought about selling the 980 and picking up a 980ti. The value on ebay is $400 and up, for a used 980. The ones with backplates are going $450 and up.
Lets see if this one sells for $485 http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-P-N-04G-P...1ea0d8d99b

Selling the 980 and paying the difference to a 980ti is easy enough, I would be all over it if it.....if the performance was better.

You talk about a 980ti OC model being 33% faster than a 980 at stock. But i run my 980 at 1450mhz minimum. It wont be 33% faster vs an overclock 980.
If i got a 980ti and ran it at its max stable overclock too, i am thinking it might be 20% faster than what i got. Maybe? At best perhaps.

ultimately, we are looking at a card 20% faster than the 980

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDI...Ti/31.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/G...ng/30.html

If i dont/cant run the 980ti at 1450mhz, it would be a shame.

So yeah, sure the 980ti is faster. But it really isnt by all that much. The 6gb would be great for higher resolutions but i think i might wait this one out.

Perhaps i will build a skylake system and then move to pascal. Idk.

i have thought about selling the 980 but the performance in the end is just not enough to make me excited for the jump. Especailly when gsync has allowed me to play ultra grass/ultra settings on GTA 5. That was the only thing i was interested in. Had the 980ti launched months earlier, i would have had it instead of this monitor.

Anyway, gsync is something that needs to be experienced. And i am glad i went this route.
No matter what i do in the future, it will happen along with another gsync monitor.

(07-04-2015, 08:31 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: OK, so I've hooked up the Acer 4K G-Sync and my son and I have gamed.

Me:

Bioshock looked amazing played very well. Very smooth motion and incredible sharpness at 4K res.

Metro looked great, but had some stuttering in spots. I'll try it without the AAA next time. Nonetheless, after a few moments of my son laughing hysterically and saying I'm "keyboard impaired" I pulled it together and started capping Russkies until they were all deceased. I don't think it would have been playable at all at that res without the G-sync, but I'll need to find better settings there.

Son:

Played Counter Strike games and was amazed how different the game looked, and how smooth it played with G-Sync. He got second in the first match he played in, then first.

I was surprised at the lack of jaggies on hanging power lines, and old test of AA.

The Acer monitor is definitely lower grade than the Dell 3008 it replaces in terms of build quality, but the 4K picture quality is awesome.

I didn't notice any wash out from TN , but I didn't kneel in front of the desk either.

What is the framerate in metro?

Low framerates are great with gsync, but if you have several long frame times, i think it throws it for a loop. If your settings are really demanding, you might be better off with a frame cap in that game. Say your swinging from higher frame rates to real low, a frame cap at 40 may keep things in control. Gsync at 40fps is still nice.

4k is really a lot for a single 980ti to handle. If you get to play with anything other than medium settings, you are doing better than most.

You might try overclocking that GPU of yours Wink
(07-05-2015, 12:26 AM)ocre Wrote: What is the framerate in metro?  

Low framerates are great with gsync, but if you have several long frame times, i think it throws it for a loop.  If your settings are really demanding, you might be better off with a frame cap in that game.  Say your swinging from higher frame rates to real low, a frame cap at 40 may keep things in control.  Gsync at 40fps is still nice.  

4k is really a lot for a single 980ti to handle.  If you get to play with anything other than medium settings, you are doing better than most.

You might try overclocking that GPU of yours Wink

Don't know, just got back from visiting relatives for weekend.

I'll have to try it without the AAA and see how it does.