Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4K TV Panel Shipments Grew 58% Over Last Quarter
I think that the real issue with 4k is that it's just such a massive resolution. 1080p is more than good enough for 95% of people. I really don't think I could tell the difference on a 55" screen from 10' away which is what most people would be doing. Most people can't afford or don't want a 70"+ TV. It's too big for most people and $2000-3000 is a lot to spend. Not only that but if you're a gamer you're going to need GTX 980Ti SLI for things to run smoothly. So you'd be looking at close to $5000. Would it be a kick ass gaming setup? Absolutely. It's just too expensive for most people at this point.
4K has a big advantage over 2560x1600/1440 in that if it gives trouble you can drop back to 1080p which will render perfectly due to 4K exactly doubling 1080p.

4K isn't mature enough or cheap enough yet.

And you are correct. 2560x1600 was bad enough to keep adequately fed. You'll need a couple of very highend GPU's for quite a while yet to make 4K as playable and fluid as 1080p is.

Ocre Wrote:The text looking funny, I am very sensitive to that. Your picture, do you have cleartype on? Cleartype sub pixel tricks look terrible to me on a low ppi screen. The letters have a funny glowing hue to them.

Your picture, specifically.
The S's, the Y's, the g's, the y's, the o's, the x's, even the i's and L's.

they are fuzzy and whacky, at least to me. I have no idea how you are not seeing it. But I read the text and circled the fuzzy lettering i cant stand. It starts messing with my head so while the smaller letters look worse, i didnt waste a lot of time on them.

You are looking at a picture taken from 1/2 a foot away from the screen. When you view the screen from a normal distance (at least 2 feet back) you simply don't see the fuzziness. As for the wackiness, I see nothing wacky about how they are rendered. It is all extremely readable to me.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(07-08-2015, 06:50 PM)SickBeast Wrote: I think that the real issue with 4k is that it's just such a massive resolution.  1080p is more than good enough for 95% of people.  I really don't think I could tell the difference on a 55" screen from 10' away which is what most people would be doing.  Most people can't afford or don't want a 70"+ TV.  It's too big for most people and $2000-3000 is a lot to spend.  Not only that but if you're a gamer you're going to need GTX 980Ti SLI for things to run smoothly.  So you'd be looking at close to $5000.  Would it be a kick ass gaming setup?  Absolutely.  It's just too expensive for most people at this point.

Agree

(07-08-2015, 06:01 PM)gstanford Wrote: Yes because things render too small. and no, you can't make everything render larger properly.  Some things either do not scale at all or break when something forces them to scale.  Trust me I have tried.  This is more a windows UI failing than anything else, but it is a nasty failing.

Perhaps if you could get a 2560x1600 40" monitor.  But nobody ever made one.  30" isn't large enough.

Great for gaming and detail in rendered images, not great for general desktop use.

As for 4K eventually I will probably get a 40" 4K replacement when they become economical enough to do so - that is still quite a way off though, and DSR gives you most of the improved detail of 4K when gaming at 1080p.

1080p is an excellent compromise resolution, a competent jack of all trades and it is extremely affordable, mature and high quality to boot

See, I disagreed with you because i am sensitive to the fuzzy/funny text from a low ppi screen.

But I actually have a 1080 panel. I 100% agree that 1080 is an excellent compromise resolution. The part i think i was missing, I havent heard you say compromise before. As great as the TV is for you, and it does appear that you like it alot, it is a compromise. Maybe not so much for you, but certainly for others. I feel like my 27" panel was a compromise even though it is one of the most vibrant and beautiful panels I have ever owned.

As for your scaling issues in windows. Most people seem to be able to resolve this and move on. Was your issues with windows or specific apps that wouldnt scale up?
Apps that I need to work with that don't scale properly.

I'm all about compromise, bang for the buck. Always have been.

You don't see me pushing high-end CPU's (socket 2011 etc) - I stick with the mid-range consumer CPU's like 2600K, 4790K.

You don't see me pushing high-end GPU's - ever since Fermi I've stuck with nvidia's mid range dies like 970, 460 etc.

You don't see me pushing cheap junk either. Not even back in the K6, K7 days where I used K6-3 450, Athlon XP3200+
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Ah....

Most of the stuff I do scales up just fine.

But with this 27", I find myself scaling down instead of up.

Lol