Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iowa Electric Company charges fee higher than solar produces
7-23-2015

Iowa farmer says he’ll remove solar if co-op’s $85 fixed charge stands

A small rural electric cooperative in Iowa has informed its 3,000 customer-members that, should they install solar panels or other distributed generation, they will pay what appears to be one of the highest monthly charges in the nation.

Pella Cooperative Electric sent out a notification on June 18 alerting customers that the “facilities fee,” which is the fixed part of the monthly bill, will triple from $27.50 per month to $85 per month – but only for customers with solar panels or another source of their own generation.

Bryce Engbers, whose hog-confinement operation accounts for three of the 12 distributed generators now on Pella's system, said that he's done the math and foresees removing the solar panels on his home and his two hog barns

Last year, Engbers said, the 3.5-kilowatt system on his home produced about 5,320 kilowatt hours of power. At 12 cents per kilowatt hour, that's a savings of $638, he said – compared with the $85 monthly fee, which over the course of a year would amount to $1,020.

“As you can see, this fee makes my home system absolutely and totally worthless,” he said. “In fact, I will have them de-install it, or I will be losing $400 a year.”
[url=http://midwestenergynews.com/2015/07/23/iowa-farmer-says-hell-remove-solar-if-co-ops-85-fixed-charge-stands/][/url]
Insane, just insane this Country has become beholden to the Corporate Overlords.
(07-24-2015, 06:51 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Insane, just insane this Country has become beholden to the Corporate Overlords.

Disagree.

The utility probably has sale of energy factored into their pricing for the 99.9% of houses that don't create their own power. (i.e. it costs $X to provide service, they bank on $Y sales to make providing service profitable)

The rest of us have to pay more if a bunch of people generate solar I bet.

You'll see the same thing with cable modems I bet. Company wants $X/mo to provide service profitably, as people drop cable to do things like Sling or OTA, cable modem rates will rise.

Companies will make their cash where they have to, they don't want us dropping off grid and using parts of their service for little cash.
(07-24-2015, 06:51 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Insane, just insane this Country has become beholden to the Corporate Overlords.

Disagree.

The utility probably has sale of energy factored into their pricing for the 99.9% of houses that don't create their own power. (i.e. it costs $X to provide service, they bank on $Y sales to make providing service profitable)

You'll see the same thing with cable modems. Company wants $X/mo to provide service profitably, as people drop cable to do things like Sling or OTA, cable modem rates will rise.

Companies will make their cash where they have to, they don't want us dropping off grid and using parts of their service for little cash.
(07-24-2015, 08:16 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Disagree.

You'll see the same thing with cable modems. Company wants $X/mo to provide service profitably, as people drop cable to do things like Sling or OTA, cable modem rates will rise.

You are a Corporate whoring slave nut. Totally disgusting. You probably agree with the ban on capturing rainwater in barrels too.   Money16 :Titantic:
In the past the power companies could get away with this sort of extortion. Nowadays I would recommend the farmer to invest in some of Telsa's power wall battery banks and store the solar energy rather than put any excess generated back into the grid.

Sweet fuck all the power company can do about that.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(07-24-2015, 09:37 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote:
(07-24-2015, 08:16 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Disagree.

You are a Corporate whoring slave nut. Totally disgusting. You probably agree with the ban on capturing rainwater in barrels too.   Money16 :Titantic:

No, I'm just a realist.

The money has to come from somewhere, if not them, us.

Power company won't say,"Darn, the jig is up, everyone is going solar. Guess we need to skip raises this year.
(07-24-2015, 10:07 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: No, I'm just a realist.

The money has to come from somewhere, if not them, us.

Power company won't say,"Darn, the jig is up, everyone is going solar. Guess we need to skip raises this year.

Did you read the article?

They said they can't say how much of it is profit but they sure can come up with that bogus $85 fee alright.

I bet they can sell you the Brooklyn Bridge too.
(07-24-2015, 06:49 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: Pella Cooperative Electric sent out a notification on June 18 alerting customers that the “facilities fee,” which is the fixed part of the monthly bill, will triple from $27.50 per month to $85 per month – but only for customers with solar panels or another source of their own generation.

Bryce Engbers, whose hog-confinement operation accounts for three of the 12 distributed generators now on Pella's system, said that he's done the math and foresees removing the solar panels on his home and his two hog barns

Last year, Engbers said, the 3.5-kilowatt system on his home produced about 5,320 kilowatt hours of power. At 12 cents per kilowatt hour, that's a savings of $638, he said – compared with the $85 monthly fee, which over the course of a year would amount to $1,020.

“As you can see, this fee makes my home system absolutely and totally worthless,” he said. “In fact, I will have them de-install it, or I will be losing $400 a year.”
[url=http://midwestenergynews.com/2015/07/23/iowa-farmer-says-hell-remove-solar-if-co-ops-85-fixed-charge-stands/][/url]

He's paying a $57.50 higher monthly base charge, and he is saving $53.16 a month generating his own power. Could be the utility has "some" idea what they stand to lose from the solar, those numbers are pretty similar.

The article is also incorrect in that it doesn't recognize that he would have paid $330 of that $1020 anyway, so he's really about breaking even. (and still doing his part to be "green" and reduce his carbon footprint)

The only way you have a point is if you know for sure that profits on the energy consumption aren't part of what the power company needs to not lose money delivering and maintaining their service to the farm. I don't know if this is true or not, but it could be so I'm not going to just assume the company is evil and profiteering.

Like I said, I'm a realist and what I know of business is that usually there's a cost of doing business, and pricing is set to maintain a profit margin above that. Could be the solar panels make those customers unprofitable, and whether it's other customers or the utility, someone needs to make up the shortfall.
Interesting insights, thanks Rollo.

The company must be assuming that everybody who has solar panels are quite wealthy, so that the $57 surcharge should not really cause too big of an issue with them. If I were the guy on that farm, I'd still go solar anyway, even if paying a surcharge of $85/mo. Wealthy people could easily organize class-action lawsuits and possibly win a case there. Perhaps find a way to convince the government to give rebates or incentives for going "green"... like with buying electric/hybrid cars.
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
(07-25-2015, 09:08 AM)BoFox Wrote: Interesting insights, thanks Rollo.

The company must be assuming that everybody who has solar panels are quite wealthy, so that the $57 surcharge should not really cause too big of an issue with them. If I were the guy on that farm, I'd still go solar anyway, even if paying a surcharge of $85/mo. Wealthy people could easily organize class-action lawsuits and possibly win a case there. Perhaps find a way to convince the government to give rebates or incentives for going "green"... like with buying electric/hybrid cars.

That's exactly the point.

Americans are getting punished by these Corporations for using less power and less water too.

That's just wrong and I get pretty irritated at those that support that.
(07-25-2015, 07:10 PM)dmcowen674 Wrote:
(07-25-2015, 09:08 AM)BoFox Wrote: Interesting insights, thanks Rollo.  

The company must be assuming that everybody who has solar panels are quite wealthy, so that the $57 surcharge should not really cause too big of an issue with them.  If I were the guy on that farm, I'd still go solar anyway, even if paying a surcharge of $85/mo.  Wealthy people could easily organize class-action lawsuits and possibly win a case there.  Perhaps find a way to convince the government to give rebates or incentives for going "green"...  like with buying electric/hybrid cars.

That's exactly the point.

Americans are getting punished by these Corporations for using less power and less water too.

That's just wrong and I get pretty irritated at those that support that.

Let's say me reading this site costs you $8/month in bandwidth, but you've worked out a deal with my cable modem provider Charter that they give you my usage totals and I pay a $10/mo fee based on that.

You're providing me with content at cost, but I'm paying the cost plus a little profit. Then I start accessing the site in a different fashion, lets say I go satellite and they don't give you my usage so I just use the $8/mo worth of bandwidth and you pay it.

Do you applaud me for my ingenuity, or revile me?
(07-25-2015, 10:27 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Let's say me reading this site costs you $8/month in bandwidth, but you've worked out a deal with my cable modem provider Charter that they give you my usage totals and I pay a $10/mo fee based on that.

You're providing me with content at cost, but I'm paying the cost plus a little profit. Then I start accessing the site in a different fashion, lets say I go satellite and they don't give you my usage so I just use the $8/mo worth of bandwidth and you pay it.

Do you applaud me for my ingenuity, or revile me?

They shouldn't be reading where your Internet usage is. That is against Net Neutrality.

Do you want me to know with water usage whether you are taking a drink or taking a shit?
Put the link below here specifically for Rollo to read.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/08/e...they-dont/

from the comments on that article:

Quote:Capitalism. Privatizing the profits and socializing the losses
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(08-03-2015, 10:12 AM)gstanford Wrote:
Quote:Capitalism. Employing us all and providing one of the ten best per capita incomes on the planet for Americans, so we don't have to drive mopeds to work or eat imitation cheese.

Fixed it for you.