Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why you don't set the minimum wage to $70K
Point A ends illegal immigration because they come here for jobs and would not if no one would hire them.

If we make it more risky to hire them than the benefit of the cheap labor, the situation ends.

However; I don't think anyone wants to end it. I think the politicians just use the immigrants as scapegoats and a red herring to divert attention from the real issues.
Rollo, trust me - you do not want Mexicans flooding Madison, Wisconsin and transforming it into a Spanish-speaking town. 5 of these adults would happily share a bedroom with each other, a small 6-bedroom house could even hold 30 of them, as is seen in some parts where the Hispanic community is booming. It's insane.

Then your son, faced with a massive influx of no-lifer Indians and Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean college graduates with perfect 4.00 GPA, would never get a job unless he learned what it was like to live with roaches crawling under the sheets, rather than a silver spoon filled with some honey to make all of his problems go away. That is, he'd need to work 100 hours a week towards attaining a higher GPA than his classmates (usually, generally, if more students make A's, then the professors decide to make it harder for them to make A's rather than B's). The same for you - if you just graduated with these 2 degrees (Psychology and Business?) today, rather than 20 years ago or so, you might not have had the same luck as you did in the past... maybe you think you would still have done the same thing by becoming a software team leader, but then how about 20 years later in the future, after Madison becomes "Mexison" along with a good mix of ruthless workaholics from the desperate 1.3 billion Indians overseas all still dreaming to attain heaven in the Golden Land of Opporunity?
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
I didn't say I want to end immigration laws, I said I think we more effectively enforce them by doing it on the employer vs employee side.

Businesses are already subject to a lot of government rules, scrutiny and inspections. A little easier to find them at their job than in their neighborhoods, and I don't think most business owners would even risk it if they knew the penalties fell on them rather than the illegals.

The illegals could still be deported, the key is making the hiring of illegals not worth it. Control the jobs and you control the problem.
You would only create a black employment market where illegals aren't officially on the books and they get paid cash rather than with traceable cheques, deposits etc.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(08-10-2015, 06:47 PM)gstanford Wrote: You would only create a black employment market where illegals aren't officially on the books and they get paid cash rather than with traceable cheques, deposits etc.

We have that already.

I'm saying that is easier to police, not like the farm/restaurant/factory is going anywhere or can be hidden.

If you tell most American businessmen "If you can't produce a photocopy of an ID and green card or work permit for everyone working here, we're going to shut you down or incarcerate you", and then start doing it, most won't break the law just to get a little richer.

Pretty tough to tell the wife and kids you're going to prison because you wanted to save $5/hour on labor costs.
You're funny. As you said black markets already exist, and so long as they don't flaunt their illegal activities wilfully in front of the public and they contribute to the local politician/police chiefs retirement fund they don't get investigated.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(08-10-2015, 10:43 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Point A ends illegal immigration because they come here for jobs and would not if no one would hire them.

If we make it more risky to hire them than the benefit of the cheap labor, the situation ends.

However; I don't think anyone wants to end it. I think the politicians just use the immigrants as scapegoats and a red herring to divert attention from the real issues.
This is a great idea

I think people just want to argue with you