Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free speech is allowed at ABT!
Rollo is just stirring up trouble and wasting our time, as usual.
(08-16-2015, 04:24 PM)gstanford Wrote: You have to actually apply for a trademark.  If ABT had one we would know it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

Hilarious that I have to explain this to somebody who boasts about his college degrees (one of them being business).........

I don't recall "boasting" of my college degrees, or claiming either made me a lawyer. I do recall saying:

RolloTheGreat Wrote:It's true I'm not a lawyer, but if I were Dave, I'd seek one out and have him/her decide if there is anything here.

You, SB and I can't solve this.

Laugh all you like, it changes nothing.

These days even a lot of entry level jobs say degree required or preferred. Not exactly sad I have two in my pocket.
Yet I don't need to degree to point out your ignorance. Funny that.

Degrees are nothing but pretty pieces of paper that you buy for yourself (the college/Uni fees) and certainly don't reflect an individuals intelligence. Especially not in Rollo's case.........
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
So Greg I see you're back now after your little explosion the other night. Does that mean you are staying at ABT?
I never went away.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Then what about this:

(08-15-2015, 07:52 AM)gstanford Wrote: I think I will simply logout and let this sad little forum die after the last part of the video uploads.

Let the trolls and morons argue amongst themselves.  Apoppin had the right idea.
(08-15-2015, 06:54 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
Quote:You have received a warning from the staff of AlienBabelTech Forums.

I want to know who gave me a warning and why.

If warning was clicked on it doesn't mean anything. I didn't set a warning system up, must be a default of some sort. I'll look.

Edit: Warning system had a default. I turned it off completely.
(08-17-2015, 10:04 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Then what about this:

(08-15-2015, 07:52 AM)gstanford Wrote: I think I will simply logout and let this sad little forum die after the last part of the video uploads.

Let the trolls and morons argue amongst themselves.  Apoppin had the right idea.

What about it?! Did you not notice the first two words of what you quoted?

I can leave if you'd like -- see how long the forum lasts without me posting here.

(08-17-2015, 10:33 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote:
(08-15-2015, 06:54 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
Quote:You have received a warning from the staff of AlienBabelTech Forums.

I want to know who gave me a warning and why.

If warning was clicked on it doesn't mean anything. I didn't set a warning system up, must be a default of some sort. I'll look.

Edit: Warning system had a default. I turned it off completely.

Speaking of warnings can we give gstanford a warning about using his mod powers for no good reason? Angel
(08-17-2015, 10:37 AM)gstanford Wrote:

What about it?!  Did you not notice the first two words of what you quoted?

I can leave if you'd like -- see how long the forum lasts without me posting here.

I never said I wanted you to leave. You had a meltdown, called us all trolls, and said you were "thinking" about leaving (although at the time it really did seem like you were leaving). Rolleyes

Now, we have each moderated each other one time. I lost my mod powers when I moderated you. I wonder what Dave will do about this now. The forum needs your help getting rid of the spam. If you lost your mod powers the forum might fail. But...free speech...

Hmm.
I may delete this entire thread especially the title. There is no warning system or moderation. Moderation = Drama, I don't like Drama.
Ugh! Dave!
I have been moderated. :(

Twice. Angry
At least you didn't get a warning for no good reason like the first time.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(08-17-2015, 10:17 PM)SickBeast Wrote: I have been moderated. :(

Twice. Angry
Was something deleted or changed?
(08-17-2015, 10:34 PM)dmcowen674 Wrote:

Twice.  Angry

My thread title was changed.

Look, I feel that there is free speech at ABT, I was making a point that gstanford should not have given me a warning.

I would have edited the title had you guys asked me to but now it was done without my consent. So for me, really, I have been moderated twice here over the past few days.
(08-17-2015, 10:38 PM)SickBeast Wrote:

Twice.  Angry

Look, I feel that there is free speech at ABT, I was making a point that gstanford should not have given me a warning.

I would have edited the title had you guys asked me to but now it was done without my consent.  So for me, really, I have been moderated twice here over the past few days.
In the wake of stanford's abuse, I can understand why you're unhappy. But at least you didn't end up banned for sticking to your guns unless you could be shown that you were wrong, like I got banned from BTR.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Warnings have no consequences. Not the same as moderation. The point was to wake you up and (attempt to) stop the bad behaviour (which started in earnest once BoFox came back here).

Freedom of speech here doesn't mean we all have to act like we are in the first week of kindergarten.

(08-17-2015, 10:38 PM)SickBeast Wrote:

Twice.  Angry

I would have edited the title had you guys asked me to but now it was done without my consent. So for me, really, I have been moderated twice here over the past few days.
I changed the thread Title because it is not true. Free speech is certainly allowed.

I disabled the warning system. It was on by default.

Let me know if he changes or deletes anything.
(08-17-2015, 10:41 PM)gstanford Wrote: Warnings have no consequences.  Not the same as moderation.  The point was to wake you up and stop the bad behaviour (which started in earnest once BoFox came back here).
The bad behavior consisted of defending BoFox's non-off-topic pictures. Pictures are highly flexible, and as such are not off topic, as being off topic requires specific, rigid deviation.
They were meant to put other posters down and attacked their opinions, not topics of discussion in the thread. That crap belongs at 4chan. Not to mention they were huge. They could have been resized to be smaller.

We're not on dialup anymore, those images don't mean anything, even to most data caps. Again, images are flexible, and as such are not off topic.
Dave, what we need is spoiler tags and a requirement that potentially offensive images be spoiler-ed.

Come on man! BoFox's pictures are hilarious! Come on and live a little! Lighten up and enjoy life. Holy cow.
It's not hilarious when you can't properly read a thread due to giant, retarded off-topic images.

I can and do deal with them using adblock plus, but I shouldn't have to and neither should anyone else. They shouldn't be posted, or if they are they should be spoiler-ed so those who think they are amusing can see them without annoying everyone else.

I disagree.
I don't see stanford's problem, but have no objection to spoiler tags being introduced.
Perhaps I should cease purging spammers. After all what they post is "free speech" too.........

(08-17-2015, 10:53 PM)gstanford Wrote: Dave, what we need is spoiler tags and a requirement that potentially offensive images be spoiler-ed.

Off topic already has a warning posted.
(08-17-2015, 11:36 PM)dmcowen674 Wrote:
(08-17-2015, 10:53 PM)gstanford Wrote: Dave, what we need is spoiler tags and a requirement that potentially offensive images be spoiler-ed.

Off topic already has a warning posted.

BoFox's images were not offensive! gstanford is very easily offended!
(08-17-2015, 11:46 PM)SickBeast Wrote: BoFox's images were not offensive!  gstanford is very easily offended!
Agreed.
(08-17-2015, 10:59 PM)gstanford Wrote: It's not hilarious when you can't properly read a thread due to giant, retarded off-topic images.

I can and do deal with them using adblock plus, but I shouldn't have to and neither should anyone else.  They shouldn't be posted, or if they are they should be spoiler-ed so those who think they are amusing can see them without annoying everyone else.

None of the images were over 1024 pixels wide, really.  I don't even see it being a problem for laptop users stuck at 1366x768 resolution.  You must be living in the dark ages, using something like 960x600 as your desktop resolution. 

Gstan, quit lying through your teeth!  Your sig should be limited to 2 lines, at the most.  That video of the Nvidia truck passing by the AMD car, displayed in your sig in the old forum, was blocked by me using adblock.
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
BoFox I got your back on this, don't worry. Angel
As do I.
Thanks, SB and SC - I appreciate it. gStan can go and act like Stalin, perhaps in Stalingrad, but not here where we're all gonna take turns giving him that butt spanking!
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
(08-17-2015, 10:37 AM)gstanford Wrote:

What about it?!  Did you not notice the first two words of what you quoted?

I would prefer you stick around. And that has nothing to do with the spam work you do. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely grateful for your dedication there.

I just think it is awesome to have different views. You have very strong beliefs and seldom waver. Others here have strong views that contrast.

Guys, i know it may be hard to get along with conflicting views sometimes but I think it is great that we are managing as well as we are. The different views and ideas give this place color. There aren't many of us but I think we all are so different that it keeps the place interesting.

Everyone, just try not to get so heated of things. Gstanford, I sure don't want you to get mad and leave over some real petty stuff. Let's just agree to disagree, we are really polarized on many things. But we do have common ground as well. We have proven we can mix such extremes, let's just not let it get toxic.
(08-17-2015, 07:51 AM)gstanford Wrote: Yet I don't need to degree to point out your ignorance.  Funny that.

Degrees are nothing but pretty pieces of paper that you buy for yourself (the college/Uni fees) and certainly don't reflect an individuals intelligence.  Especially not in Rollo's case.........

You can't "buy" a degree, and that is why they have value to employers. A degree is evidence you can complete long complex projects, have learned a baseline level of knowledge in language, social sciences, math, science, plus more focused study in your discipline of choice.

Anyone who completes any 4 year degree at an accredited college has more knowledge of these areas of study than anyone who does not.

You can keep yelling about how it's meaningless all you want, but the world of employers disagrees with you, and that is all that matters.

How about trying to post some evidence employers are requiring less education these days, or that people without degrees earn more on average?

Won't hold my breath waiting for some actual evidence from a reliable source, feel free to keep posting "That book learnin' don't mean nothin'!".
http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.gif

GStanford, guessing: "A degree is just a pretty piece of paper, it don't mean nothin'!"

United States Government, using data from 122,000,000 taxpayers: "People with the pretty piece of paper earn a median salary about double the guys without the pretty piece of paper."

Gosh, how do we decipher who is right?!?! GStan talking out of his ass without any valid supporting data, or the government of one the largest economies on the planet?

Man, college did not prepare me for such DIFFICULT decisions, my head is hurting!

Uneducated man working two jobs to make ends meet, or US government with data for over hundred million people at their disposal?! Who can we trust??!??!
Nothing you have said invalidates what I said in my quote you know. You do buy a degree (with college/Uni fees), yes you have to be capable of understanding what is being taught and be able to do the work, but that is hardly difficult if you have a genuine interest in the subject the degree covers.

You can know all the subject matter of a degree and yet not possess one. Doesn't make you stupid, probably means you lack the financial means to obtain a degree.

Plenty of total morons get degrees just because daddy could pay the school fees and they could do their homework. Still doesn't make them intelligent. Almost anyone can do book learning. Thinking for yourself is much harder and is a skill employers value.

In the end degrees are nothing more than a segragation tool, a way the rich can separate their kids from poor peoples kids relatively easily since the cost of buying a degree means most poor people are automatically excluded from the degree market. Not because they aren't intelligent enough but because they can't afford the purchase price.

Come on, degrees are a segregation tool? Certainly not in Canada. Perhaps you could argue that to an extent in the USA, but really university degrees are a tool to teach you the skills and knowledge you need for the career that you choose. There's not some conspiracy among the upper class to prevent people with less money from getting a good education. It's just the way it works. In the US, education is funded a lot less than some other places, so private school there is very expensive, *but*, you get the best education available anywhere at the prestigious Ivy League schools in the US. Not only that but even if you have to take on a ton of debt to go to those schools, it's still well worth it.

I'm still about $20,000 in debt from my university education however my salary has almost tripled what I was making before I went to school. My single year of post graduate education has raised my salary by $20,000 alone. It's not a conspiracy. I paid for my education myself, I'm not from a wealthy family.