Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free speech is allowed at ABT!
(08-18-2015, 10:22 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Come on, degrees are a segregation tool?  Certainly not in Canada.  Perhaps you could argue that to an extent in the USA, but really university degrees are a tool to teach you the skills and knowledge you need for the career that you choose.  There's not some conspiracy among the upper class to prevent people with less money from getting a good education.  It's just the way it works.  In the US, education is funded a lot less than some other places, so private school there is very expensive, *but*, you get the best education available anywhere at the prestigious Ivy League schools in the US.  Not only that but even if you have to take on a ton of debt to go to those schools, it's still well worth it.

I'm still about $20,000 in debt from my university education however my salary has almost tripled what I was making before I went to school.  My single year of post graduate education has raised my salary by $20,000 alone.  It's not a conspiracy.  I paid for my education myself, I'm not from a wealthy family.

QFT

My wife, my dad, my uncle, and myself all worked our way through college.

The "segregation tool" is if you're not funded by parents, you need to want it bad enough to put in some long hours for a while. (and maybe borrow some cash to invest in yourself as well)

There's no guarantee this will land you a good job, but for a LOT of jobs it's the price of an interview. Not too coincidentally a huge chunk of the jobs with good pay and good benefits are in this group of jobs.

Anybody who thinks a university degree is a "pretty piece of paper anyone could get" is kidding themselves.
I will say, Rollo, you really need to be less condiscending toward the people on here that don't have a degree. It's really demeaning and they don't deserve it. Just because you have one it does not make you "special" or better than anyone else. We all make different choices, that's all it comes down to. I find it really offensive when you do that. You have been very bad about this both with Dave and apoppin. Now you're starting with gstanford. It's not nice.
(08-19-2015, 02:36 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I will say, Rollo, you really need to be less condiscending toward the people on here that don't have a degree.  It's really demeaning and they don't deserve it.  Just because you have one it does not make you "special" or better than anyone else.  We all make different choices, that's all it comes down to.  I find it really offensive when you do that.  You have been very bad about this both with Dave and apoppin.  Now you're starting with gstanford.  It's not nice.

I've never said ANYTHING to Dave about college other than "Buddy, put the power back in your hands. Finish your degree, because even if you have to borrow money to do it having the ability to earn higher wages and be more employable is well worth it.". (and Dave could verify this)

GStan and Apoppin both have a bad habit of calling me an idiot, a lot. As such, I don't lose too much sleep over being condescending , or noting that I'd be the one that has actually been tested in academia and passed. If they don't want to be talked down to, they probably shouldn't call people stupid who can reply with "Gee whiz, in most cultures holding a couple bachelors and working in the software industry aren't the hallmarks of the obtuse".
(08-18-2015, 11:04 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 10:22 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Come on, degrees are a segregation tool?  Certainly not in Canada.  Perhaps you could argue that to an extent in the USA, but really university degrees are a tool to teach you the skills and knowledge you need for the career that you choose.  There's not some conspiracy among the upper class to prevent people with less money from getting a good education.  It's just the way it works.  In the US, education is funded a lot less than some other places, so private school there is very expensive, *but*, you get the best education available anywhere at the prestigious Ivy League schools in the US.  Not only that but even if you have to take on a ton of debt to go to those schools, it's still well worth it.

I'm still about $20,000 in debt from my university education however my salary has almost tripled what I was making before I went to school.  My single year of post graduate education has raised my salary by $20,000 alone.  It's not a conspiracy.  I paid for my education myself, I'm not from a wealthy family.

QFT

My wife, my dad, my uncle, and myself all worked our way through college.

The "segregation tool" is if you're not funded by parents, you need to want it bad enough to put in some long hours for a while. (and maybe borrow some cash to invest in yourself as well)

There's no guarantee this will land you a good job, but for a LOT of jobs it's the price of an interview. Not too coincidentally a huge chunk of the jobs with good pay and good benefits are in this group of jobs.

Anybody who thinks a university degree is a "pretty piece of paper anyone could get" is kidding themselves.

And for plenty of jobs, office/IT ones included a degree doesn't matter. You are better off with a trade certificate in the field you hope to enter and a resume showing a solid working record even if it is flipping burgers and manning the cash register at McDonalds. Plenty of employers prefer someone like that to a Uni graduate who has never set foot in a workplace outside of prac assignments, especially if you demonstrate plenty of commonsense and the ability to think on the fly at the interview.

Plenty of employers would rather you have no specific skills at all, they prefer to train you "their way".
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
Oh and Rollo, if you still want to pursue your ridiculous lawsuit against BTR (lets assume you own ABT here) I have just the lawfirm for you - Prenda Law. Ask for John Steele!

[Image: ROFLMAO.gif]

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(08-18-2015, 05:55 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Anyone who completes any 4 year degree at an accredited college has more knowledge of these areas of study than anyone who does not.

Haha, do you mean this in absolute terms?  Prodigal pioneers often come from outside the standardized training institution, and blow the rest of us away.  A tarzan of the jungle would climb 50 of those 200-foot trees way faster than any marine trained in the army for 15+ years, and exploit all of their weaknesses before these embarrassed marines realize their own beer bellies and go back to their regular bars to drink beer all over again.

The system is just becoming a bit too prohibitive for these prodigal gifts of talent, by disregarding anybody who did not go through the training marches.
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
(08-19-2015, 07:27 AM)BoFox Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 05:55 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: Anyone who completes any 4 year degree at an accredited college has more knowledge of these areas of study than anyone who does not.

Haha, do you mean this in absolute terms?  Prodigal pioneers often come from outside the standardized training institution, and blow the rest of us away.  A tarzan of the jungle would climb 50 of those 200-foot trees way faster than any marine trained in the army for 15+ years, and exploit all of their weaknesses before these embarrassed marines realize their own beer bellies and go back to their regular bars to drink beer all over again.

The system is just becoming a bit too prohibitive for these prodigal gifts of talent, by disregarding anybody who did not go through the training marches.

There are few absolutes in the world, but very few undertake the same level of study on their own accord.

The reason the world is disregarding those who did not go through the training marches is, as GStan notes, there are a lot of college grads they can hire cheap due to high unemployment for recent grads. So now people have to get a university degree and work their way up through crap jobs a lot of the time.

Business will take advantage of whatever angle they can play, and why hire a HS diploma secretary when you can get one with an English degree?
(08-19-2015, 06:08 AM)gstanford Wrote: Oh and Rollo, if you still want to pursue your ridiculous lawsuit against BTR (lets assume you own ABT here) I have just the lawfirm for you - Prenda Law.  Ask for John Steele!

[Image: ROFLMAO.gif]

I have no lawsuit with BTR, and as noted, I don't know if Dave has one. (because I'm not a lawyer, sort of like you)

Talking to a lawyer is free, what do you have against Dave investigating whether Apoppin's actions are the basis of a lawsuit?

If Apoppin has infringed on Dave's rights or taken illegal advantage, wouldn't you want Dave compensated?
Sorry Rollo, but you are the one who brought up lawsuits against apoppin here, not me, not dave, not anyone else. Nice attempt at trying to pin the tail on another donkey but it doesn't work.

I stand by my choice of law firm and lawyer for you though. Big Grin

(08-19-2015, 05:06 PM)gstanford Wrote: Sorry Rollo, but you are the one who brought up lawsuits against apoppin here, not me, not dave, not anyone else.  Nice attempt at trying to pin the tail on another donkey but it doesn't work.

I stand by my choice of law firm and lawyer for you though. Big Grin

I would have said the same to you, if you were Dave.

This website is a business that Dave has substantial investment of time and money into. If his investment has been diminished by Apoppin breaking their partnership and trading on the name, I'd think Dave is entitled to compensation.

Like I said, what you and I think of the case is irrelevant.

I've seen things as crazy as a woman spilling coffee on herself suing because the coffee was "too hot":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v....estaurants

To me, a site named BabelTechReviews created after AlienBabelTech would seem like there may be cause for a lawsuit. Might not be, but again, I'm not a lawyer.
Do you know why Prenda Law and John Steele are infamous? (if your son ever studies any law at college Prenda Law will likely be held up as an example of how NOT to practice law).

Perhaps Dave can correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I understand Dave was in charge of the backend of the website, making sure that everything was running properly. apoppin was in charge of the content. ABT went down many times and no one took the time to make a backup. Again, I don't know this for sure, but it sounds like that was Dave's responsibility. The site went down. That last crash was huge, ABT was down for a really long time. You don't expect apoppin to be frustrated by that? I don't know all the ins and outs of who was responsible for what or who's fault any of this was, but that's what it looks like to me. And now you want Dave to sue Mark? For what? Because the host crashed and apoppin left? People are allowed to leave a business partnership, it happens every day.

I really didn't want to come out and say this because I didn't want to offend Dave, but you just won't let it go, Rollo. The crash wasn't really Dave's fault, either, it was the host. My one point is that someone really should have kept a backup.
(08-19-2015, 06:04 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: I've seen things as crazy as a woman spilling coffee on herself suing because the coffee was "too hot":

You need to brush up on your facts: http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html

Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Ignorance is bliss for a lot of people - they just believe what they are told about a situation and don't bother to check the facts for themselves. I'd wager most religious types slot right into that category, they don't want to understand, just sit wide-eyed and slack-jawed while a good bit of fantasy fiction is spun for them.

(08-19-2015, 06:32 PM)SickBeast Wrote: Perhaps Dave can correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I understand Dave was in charge of the backend of the website, making sure that everything was running properly. apoppin was in charge of the content. ABT went down many times and no one took the time to make a backup. Again, I don't know this for sure, but it sounds like that was Dave's responsibility. The site went down. That last crash was huge, ABT was down for a really long time. You don't expect apoppin to be frustrated by that? I don't know all the ins and outs of who was responsible for what or who's fault any of this was, but that's what it looks like to me. And now you want Dave to sue Mark? For what? Because the host crashed and apoppin left? People are allowed to leave a business partnership, it happens every day.

I really didn't want to come out and say this because I didn't want to offend Dave, but you just won't let it go, Rollo. The crash wasn't really Dave's fault, either, it was the host. My one point is that someone really should have kept a backup.

That is nearly spot on except you left the part where the back ups were being done by Mark's friend Mario who was doing most of the webmaster work and is still doing webmaster work for Mark. The site crashed on previous hosts and Mario had back ups so why would I think any different with the host that crashed on December 11th? Turns out that time he said he had a back up while he actually did not. I had last taken a full back up in August which is what I brought the site back up with as best I could on yet another new host.
Another Wave of Publications Shut Down Online Comments

8-19-2015

The debate about comment sections on news sites is often as divisive as the comments themselves.

Recently outlets such as The Verge and The Daily Dot have closed their comments sections because they've become too hard to manage.

And they're far from alone.

Moderating comments is a full-time job (or several full-time jobs) at many news organisations.
Free speech is going by way of the Do Do bird.
(08-19-2015, 09:45 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 06:04 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: I've seen things as crazy as a woman spilling coffee on herself suing because the coffee was "too hot":

You need to brush up on your facts: http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html

FFS- why did I have to waste my time watching this? I understood the case pretty well and think it's crazier yet now that I watched most of the video.

It was the industry standard for coffee. It was what the customers wanted. Millions of people buying it and drinking it every day, for years. Burn allegations for one in every 24 million people who buy it.

Some senile old lady decides it is a smart plan to try and hold a paper cup of scalding hot liquid between her knees like she's a circus monkey doing a trick, remove the lid, and dumps it on her junk and now the whole world has to drink coffee that tastes worse.

Makes sense to me. Earth to grandma: coffee is hot. paper cups are flimsy. if you want to take off the lid in a car (not a good plan to start) you hold the cup in one hand and remove the lid with the other.

Her story is about as dumb as "Well my hands were tied up texting so I mashed the paper cup full of coffee against the car window with my ear to let it cool. How could I have known or prevented the coffee spilling on me and burning me?!"
(08-19-2015, 10:02 PM)gstanford Wrote: Ignorance is bliss for a lot of people - they just believe what they are told about a situation and don't bother to check the facts for themselves.  I'd wager most religious types slot right into that category, they don't want to understand, just sit wide-eyed and slack-jawed while a good bit of fantasy fiction is spun for them.

Dude, I'd pay good money for my kind of ignorance to escape your kind of wisdom.

Strike that- I already paid the money.
(08-19-2015, 10:02 PM)gstanford Wrote: Ignorance is bliss for a lot of people - they just believe what they are told about a situation and don't bother to check the facts for themselves.  I'd wager most religious types slot right into that category, they don't want to understand, just sit wide-eyed and slack-jawed while a good bit of fantasy fiction is spun for them.

Spouting anti-religion crap all over again rather than keeping posts specific, Gstan?  Why can't you keep your anti-religion crusade to yourself, and just discuss the observational data that we all have access to?  In fact, most religious types actually believe in the big bang and evolution, so what are you crying a river about?  I did myself for a big part of my life as well, like when I read the books by Stephen Hawking, I agreed with him because it sounded authoritative and convincing.  Now, after doing more research, I'm really glad that I don't "just believe what I'm told about a situation", and that I "bother to check the facts for myself". 

I'm challenging you to logically debate the scientific data in that other thread, so come on - debate your favorite topic, astronomy.
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
I'm actually getting tired of all of the religion and I actually don't want gstanford to waste his time refuting all that, BoFox. He clearly is diametrically opposed to religion for whatever reason. Perhaps something happened to him in his past, I have no idea. But there is no point. It's just going to piss him off, then he's going to piss you off, and the whole forum will be in a ruckus. gstanford and apoppin both have their own beliefs and they clearly want nothing to do with religion. So I say we just leave them both alone. There is no point. I actually hoped I could help get through a bit to apoppin in particular at one point but these guys have very strong feelings about religion. It's just going to cause problems.
Don't worry SB - Gstan has me on his ignore list, so I don't think he'll reply to me after ignoring me anyway (it'd be a huge blow to his ego lol).

Guys, I'm happy to not bring up religion. On the other hand, my challenge to discuss scientific facts (like why the Hydroplate Theory puts the Plate Tectonic theory to shame) remains - as long as the debate can revolve around data and nothing else (which you say is impossible among these two).
Well he's going to un-ignore you in about t-minus two weeks so prepare yourself. If you preach at him he's going to get pissed off!
Yeah, the Big Bang is bunk
(08-20-2015, 12:03 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Well he's going to un-ignore you in about t-minus two weeks so prepare yourself.  If you preach at him he's going to get pissed off!

You can't un-ignore people here, once they are in your ignore list you can't get them back out.

Not that I would want to where BoFox is concerned anyway. He was a PiTA on the old forum, at BTR and he's a PiTA here!

(08-20-2015, 09:56 AM)gstanford Wrote:
(08-20-2015, 12:03 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Well he's going to un-ignore you in about t-minus two weeks so prepare yourself.  If you preach at him he's going to get pissed off!

You can't un-ignore people here, once they are in your ignore list you can't get them back out.

Not that I would want to where BoFox is concerned anyway.  He was a PiTA on the old forum, at BTR and he's a PiTA here!

No, noooooo!!!!!!!!!!  Gstanford is worse of a PiTA than all of this combined!!!

[Image: horror-movies.jpg]

I'm gonna have nightmares for the rest of my life, because his avatar and his personality reminds me too much of this:

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
(08-20-2015, 09:56 AM)gstanford Wrote:

Not that I would want to where BoFox is concerned anyway.  He was a PiTA on the old forum, at BTR and he's a PiTA here!

Yes you can! I un-ignored Rollo successfully and it seems like you have as well!
There is no option to now (and nobody I'd actually want to un-ignore at present anyway)

(08-20-2015, 08:11 PM)gstanford Wrote: There is no option to now (and nobody I'd actually want to un-ignore at present anyway)

Has something changed? Was the forum software updated?
I don't know. I just know there is no remove option. Not even reentering the user works to remove them from the list.

Well I un-ignored Rollo about a week ago and it worked perfectly. I wonder what has changed and why.
I have not changed any settings in regards to the ignore list. I just checked it by putting a user on the list. There is a small person icon to the left of the username, click on it and it deletes the user from the list.
There you go, gstanford, you can un-block BoFox now. Tongue
(08-20-2015, 09:19 PM)SickBeast Wrote: There you go, gstanford, you can un-block BoFox now. Tongue

Good to know. Dream on about BoFox getting unblocked though.

(08-20-2015, 09:20 PM)gstanford Wrote:
(08-20-2015, 09:19 PM)SickBeast Wrote: There you go, gstanford, you can un-block BoFox now. Tongue

Good to know.  Dream on about BoFox getting unblocked though.

He's not a troll! He's a super nice guy. He just has strong religious views. You are taking it way too personally and you're letting it bother you way too much.
and I'm not interested in his strong religious views (or any of the other drama he causes).

(08-20-2015, 09:44 PM)SickBeast Wrote:
(08-20-2015, 09:20 PM)gstanford Wrote:

Good to know.  Dream on about BoFox getting unblocked though.

He's not a troll!  He's a super nice guy.  He just has strong religious views.  You are taking it way too personally and you're letting it bother you way too much.
[Image: slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif]
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Thanks for treating me like a friend, SB and SC!  

Quote:
(08-20-2015, 09:56 AM)gstanford Wrote: [-snip-]
PiTA!

Gstan is just saying that I'm the GYRO to his PITA...

[Image: home_0.jpg]

Big Grin 

Not that I'd want to be!!!   It's all his own imagination!
You're welcome, BoFox. You're a really nice guy and you don't deserve any flak.
Thanks, but quit kissing me back! It's getting to be too much!