Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spillover thead
Quote:See, your heated thought matters quite a bit to you, in this "meaningless" universe that holds no personal hope for you in your current incarnation.
You are born, you live then you die. That is all there is. I have no expecation other than that. When I die I become fertilizer for new life. There is no afterlife.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(08-17-2015, 12:17 PM)gstanford Wrote:
Quote:See, your heated thought matters quite a bit to you, in this "meaningless" universe that holds no personal hope for you in your current incarnation.
You are born, you live then you die.  That is all there is.  I have no expecation other than that.  When I die I become fertilizer for new life.  There is no afterlife.

So, you say.  Tongue
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
(08-17-2015, 12:22 PM)BoFox Wrote:
You are born, you live then you die.  That is all there is.  I have no expecation other than that.  When I die I become fertilizer for new life.  There is no afterlife.

So, you say.  Tongue

Prove there is an afterlife then. And get your god to make an appearance while you are at it.

You'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath waiting for you to do so..........

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin

It's like a depressed guy saying, "I have no expectation of ever finding a girlfriend", when the beautiful girl living next door was deeply hoping that he'd decide to ask her out.  Life might be more of a 2-way street than you could imagine.  

Of course, you came from dust, so shall you return to dust.  However, as to afterlife, maybe it's beyond your "present-life" capacity to really comprehend this concept?   Nobody can even grasp a full moment's sheer-ness of the "Bringer of the Now into Existence".  Heck, can you even understand what it is that rouses you so much, making you so intolerant of others believing in an afterlife?  What is this chemistry going on in your brain that makes it so special to you that you decide that everybody must believe that there is no afterlife?  Intelligence, made in the image of God, tempted to be like God.
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
(08-17-2015, 12:28 PM)gstanford Wrote:
(08-17-2015, 12:22 PM)BoFox Wrote:

So, you say.  Tongue

Prove there is an afterlife then.  And get your god to make an appearance while you are at it.

You'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath waiting for you to do so..........

Remember, faith means something to the Alpha and the Omega.   How can you prove the sun to the tree that buries its trunk right back into the sand?  If the tree refuses to be bent back out of the sand without breaking, is it possible for you to prove it anyway, if you don't even know how to create a seed from scratch in the first place (or even prove evolution of molecules to RNA, and then ultimately to DNA)? 

The fact that there is your life "NOW" means that there could or could not be an afterlife.
BoFox Wrote:How can you prove the sun to the tree that buries its trunk right back into the sand?
What tree would that be, you crackpot?!

http://rs758.pbsrc.com/albums/xx230/Eart...y.gif~c200

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236...e81eea.jpg

http://s2.postimg.org/k0lpssguh/Religious_Logic.png

Me, your own dear crackpot! Wink
(08-17-2015, 11:09 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(08-17-2015, 10:59 AM)gstanford Wrote:
BoFox Wrote:Gstan's desire to wipe out all "non-atheists" off the face of Earth simply shows that he's tempted to be their "god", either by forcing them to believe his own beliefs, or by terminating those who refuse to agree.

No, I have never said any such thing!  Quote me! (you won't be able to)

On the other hand religious type routinely attempt to oppress and wipe-out non-believers............

Well according to this only 2 to 8 percent of the people on earth are "non-believers":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

I guess 92%+ of the world's population has it wrong.  Rolleyes

This is known as argumentum ad populum, "if a lot of people believe it, it must be true", in the logical fallacies.

At one time, all people believed the Earth was flat and the planets revolved around it.
(08-17-2015, 01:07 PM)gstanford Wrote: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236...e81eea.jpg

http://s2.postimg.org/k0lpssguh/Religious_Logic.png

Well, then prove the big bang to me.  Prove evolution to me, that it's not the same theory that a human fetus evolved from fish, to an amphibian, to reptile and then to mammal in the womb (as believed in the 1800's).  At least show me the dark matter or dark mass that's required for the big bang theory to hold water.  After analyzing and arranging all of the data available to us nowadays, these theories are proven to be just as silly as Ptolemy's "scientific" theory of solar system revolving about the epicycles, which was held in high regards in "intellectual" circles (mostly secular at that) for centuries.  Ironically, it's a bit religious to believe in the dark matter/dark mass kind of thing.......  all while at a huge logical risk of underestimating the stupendous (dare you call "unintelligent") power behind the universe that consists of intelligence, which brought at the very least your own awesome intelligence into this phenomenal thing called "now".
Evolution is what happens when an organism modifies its genome in response to outside influence. You can see it happening all the time in bacteria and viruses like influenza and HIV.

It also happens in more complex organisms like ourselves. Just look at bird cat and dog breeders. They get the results they do by forcing genetic change.

Go take your religious bullshit to another forum BoFox!

This is AlienBabelTech, not AlienBabelReligion!

(08-18-2015, 07:37 AM)gstanford Wrote: Go take your religious bullshit to another forum BoFox!

He has the AlienBabel part covered
(08-18-2015, 08:36 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote:
(08-18-2015, 07:37 AM)gstanford Wrote: Go take your religious bullshit to another forum BoFox!

He has the AlienBabel part covered

LOL! Big Grin

Gstan, prove that http://www.creationscience.com is wrong, and I'll pay you a million dollars.

That's the true science - where everything makes sense with all the data we currently have, like for example, with the recent Rosetta Mission in 2014.
http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/Comets7.html

No Bible verses here. Nothing but pure scientific research and speculation based upon the facts and data that we have thus far.
Fuck off fruitcake, don't reply to anything I say, don't want to hear from you!

Oh man!
(08-19-2015, 07:42 AM)gstanford Wrote: Fuck off fruitcake, don't reply to anything I say, don't want to hear from you!

LOL, too easy for you to say, pussycake.

ROFL!!! That was hilarious, SB!!

Seriously, some people just don't have the courage to look at things from different angles.. fine, I understand that (if they're so bent towards their own beliefs), but since life is so short, one should at least give the other scientific perspective a chance - just once in their own life. Something potentially vastly more inspiring (and scientifically truthful in accordance with all of the physical statistical data and observations of the Earth and the Universe) deserves at least a tiny bit of chance, that's all. A few years ago, I also thought it was all "quack" even though I was a Christian, but then I decided to give it a chance, and I was blown away by it, by how everything added up to my own Grandfather's fossil of a wheat ear next to the trilobytes (which was his most closely guarded secret while I was growing up), and so so soooooo much more (like why meteorites are NEVER found in *any* of the old layers of Earth), etc..

Edit - Gstan, it's fine with me if you don't want to explore any other avenues. You can tell me to fuck off all you want, but I would prefer a sound, civilized debate that revolves around scientific facts rather than personal hatred.
Picao84? Wow... and he loved to talk tech anyways.

Gstan, your personal decision, but my feelings are hurt!!! You're making me cry!
He was only able to ignore Rollo for a couple of weeks if that makes you feel any better. Smile
Picao84? You are too sensitive, stanford.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
That was when he was being rude and annoying. There doesn't appear to be a way of removing people from the list anymore.

(08-19-2015, 09:57 AM)gstanford Wrote: That was when he was being rude and annoying.  There doesn't appear to be a way of removing people from the list anymore.

GStan is makin' a list
He's checkin' it twice
He's gonna ignore people he don't think are nice
GStan is ignorin' the town
He knows if you believe in God
So you better not pray for goodness sake!
I don't give a damn if you believe in god or not. I do give a damn if you spray your religious crap all over the forum.

(08-19-2015, 05:15 PM)gstanford Wrote: I don't give a damn if you believe in god or not.  I do give a damn if you spray your religious crap all over the forum.

I'm not into organized religion either, but you're going to have to accept that it's a big part of a lot of people's lives.

They think it's perfectly normal to discuss, just as to you and I it's not normal. If they're not trying to put it in government matters or public schools, I practice tolerance because it's important to them and does a lot of good in the world.
Did you read where fruitcake was trying to pass off creation science as legitimate?! and they certainly do try and put this shit into public schools (force publishers to include in science books and curriculum's then pressure state legislatures to teach it to kids)

(08-19-2015, 06:06 PM)gstanford Wrote: Did you read where fruitcake was trying to pass off creation science as legitimate?!  and they certainly do try and put this shit into public schools (force publishers to include in science books and curriculum's then pressure state legislatures to teach it to kids)

Like I said to you before, have you ever considered the fact that the book of Genesis actually perfectly coincides with the theory of evolution? Look at the order in which God created things in Genesis:

Quote: In the beginning, when God created the universe,[a] 2 the earth was formless and desolate. The raging ocean that covered everything was engulfed in total darkness, and the Spirit of God[b] was moving over the water. 3 Then God commanded, “Let there be light”—and light appeared. 4 God was pleased with what he saw. Then he separated the light from the darkness, 5 and he named the light “Day” and the darkness “Night.” Evening passed and morning came—that was the first day.

6-7 Then God commanded, “Let there be a dome to divide the water and to keep it in two separate places”—and it was done. So God made a dome, and it separated the water under it from the water above it. 8 He named the dome “Sky.” Evening passed and morning came—that was the second day.

9 Then God commanded, “Let the water below the sky come together in one place, so that the land will appear”—and it was done. 10 He named the land “Earth,” and the water which had come together he named “Sea.” And God was pleased with what he saw. 11 Then he commanded, “Let the earth produce all kinds of plants, those that bear grain and those that bear fruit”—and it was done. 12 So the earth produced all kinds of plants, and God was pleased with what he saw. 13 Evening passed and morning came—that was the third day.

14 Then God commanded, “Let lights appear in the sky to separate day from night and to show the time when days, years, and religious festivals[c] begin; 15 they will shine in the sky to give light to the earth”—and it was done. 16 So God made the two larger lights, the sun to rule over the day and the moon to rule over the night; he also made the stars. 17 He placed the lights in the sky to shine on the earth, 18 to rule over the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God was pleased with what he saw. 19 Evening passed and morning came—that was the fourth day.

20 Then God commanded, “Let the water be filled with many kinds of living beings, and let the air be filled with birds.” 21 So God created the great sea monsters, all kinds of creatures that live in the water, and all kinds of birds. And God was pleased with what he saw. 22 He blessed them all and told the creatures that live in the water to reproduce and to fill the sea, and he told the birds to increase in number. 23 Evening passed and morning came—that was the fifth day.

24 Then God commanded, “Let the earth produce all kinds of animal life: domestic and wild, large and small”—and it was done. 25 So God made them all, and he was pleased with what he saw.

26 Then God said, “And now we will make human beings; they will be like us and resemble us. They will have power over the fish, the birds, and all animals, domestic and wild,[d] large and small.” 27 So God created human beings, making them to be like himself. He created them male and female, 28 blessed them, and said, “Have many children, so that your descendants will live all over the earth and bring it under their control. I am putting you in charge of the fish, the birds, and all the wild animals. 29 I have provided all kinds of grain and all kinds of fruit for you to eat; 30 but for all the wild animals and for all the birds I have provided grass and leafy plants for food”—and it was done. 31 God looked at everything he had made, and he was very pleased. Evening passed and morning came—that was the sixth day.

Notice how birds were one of the first things created. Scientists now think that birds are actually dinosaurs. Also note that plants were the first living things created.

I don't see any problem with believing in science and religion, personally.
riiiiiiiiiiight, so you think that the earth had oceans before the sun ignited its fusion core and produced light and that the atmosphere happened after that?! (The first two paragraphs of what you quoted)

(08-19-2015, 06:38 PM)gstanford Wrote: riiiiiiiiiiight, so you think that the earth had oceans before the sun ignited its fusion core and produced light and that the atmosphere happened after that?!  (The first two paragraphs of what you quoted)

You do have a point with that, however my point remains that the order in which God created the living things coincides perfectly with the theory of evolution.
Bullshit! Genesis is just another creation myth made up by tribesmen attempting to explain the world they saw around them.

Prove me wrong then if you're going to say it's bullshit.
I just did up above. Go research the timeline of earth and the solar system. Earth hadn't even cleared its own orbit out yet, (probably still a proto-planet) much less cooled enough for oceans to form if there was no light (the sun wasn't using nuclear fusion yet).

That has nothing to do with evolution.
It is straight out of what you quoted and said perfectly coincided with evolution. Make your mind up!

according to what you quoted "many kinds of living beings" came before birds....

Quote:Then God commanded, “Let the water be filled with many kinds of living beings, and let the air be filled with birds.”

(08-19-2015, 07:06 PM)gstanford Wrote: It is straight out of what you quoted and said perfectly coincided with evolution.  Make your mind up!

according to what you quoted "many kinds of living beings" came before birds....

Quote:Then God commanded, “Let the water be filled with many kinds of living beings, and let the air be filled with birds.”

There were many other kinds of living things on earth when the birds and dinosaurs were alive!

You honestly seem like someone who just doesn't want to believe. I don't know what ever happened to you to make you so jaded toward religion but I feel sorry for you.
(08-19-2015, 05:15 PM)gstanford Wrote: I don't give a damn if you believe in god or not.  I do give a damn if you spray your religious crap all over the forum.

If you don't, then why do you refuse to consider any scientific evidence that goes against the hugely flawed Big Bang theory or the Evolution theory.  That, to me, is like when Ptolemy's or even Aristotle's theories were still being taught at secular institutions as fact.  Except, nowadays, we have so much more data to prove that the current popular theories belong in the crapper just as much as that of Ptolemy's, yet the resistance to any real scientific progress is several orders of magnitude greater than ever before, even when religious denominations had much more authority.

The Oort Cloud theory is one of the most ludicrous theories ever made - with which there has been absolutely zero evidence for ever since the inception of the theory (but yet ever-increasing pointers towards the theory being craptastic).  It completely fails to explain this bar graph:

[Image: comets-graph_showing_jupiters_family.jpg]

And also completely fails to explain this observed phenomena:
[Image: comets-energies_of_long-period_comets.jpg]

Quote:Raymond A. Lyttleton, “The Non-Existence of the Oort Cometary Shell,” Astrophysics and Space Science, Vol. 31, December 1974, pp. 385–401.
Assuming the Oort cloud exists helps preserve the belief in a multibillion-year age for the solar system.
u “Recently, Lyttleton (1974) confirmed our conclusion of 1954: the Oort’s hypothetical cloud of comets cannot exist.”  S. K. Vsekhsvyatsky, “Comets and the Cosmogony of the Solar System,” Comets, Asteroids, Meteorites, editor A. H. Delsemme (Toledo, Ohio: The University of Toledo, 1977), p. 470.
Vsekhsvyatsky estimated (p. 470) that considerably more than 1020 gm/yr of cometary matter are lost from the solar system. Over the supposed age of the solar system (4.5 billion years), lost comet mass would “nearly correspond to the total present mass of the planets.” He believed this was unreasonable.
“... many people would be happier if there were more objective evidence for the reality of the Oort Cloud.” John Maddox, “Halley’s Comet Is Quite Young,” Nature, Vol. 339, 11 May 1989, p. 95.
(All of these references are from official scientific journals).  The Oort Cloud is just one of the hundreds of ludicrous theories developed to back the whole Big Bang Evolution theory.

It'd require a huge massive "disturbance in the force" for scientists to actually divorce themselves from a flawed foundation (like Ptolemy's epicycles theory as was the case for centuries), so the resistance is great - all fueled by the atheist movement.  

Please just spend a few moments looking into this, exploring this avenue backed by ALL the scientific data that we have, and understand that it's just overwhelming scientific data and nothing more.  It's like an archaeologist refusing to dig under Jerusalem just because the Bible said that a lot of historical events happened there in that area, except that science is now telling us to dig under Jerusalem (but everybody is ignoring science now)..
(08-19-2015, 08:03 PM)SickBeast Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 07:06 PM)gstanford Wrote: It is straight out of what you quoted and said perfectly coincided with evolution.  Make your mind up!

There were many other kinds of living things on earth when the birds and dinosaurs were alive!

You honestly seem like someone who just doesn't want to believe.  I don't know what ever happened to you to make you so jaded toward religion but I feel sorry for you.

I hope there's a benevolent "God" and have been known to pray.

I don't think there's a "God" that's a guy like us with magic powers as described in the Bible.

Such a being would have no use for human traits like jealousy, wrath, vengeance.

Let's say you have an anthill in your yard and the ants worship your wife as god because she dropped a donut one day. Are you jealous of the ants loyalties? No.

Let's say your son or daughter admires another adult. Are you jealous of the adult? No.

Let's say the ants eat your prize rose bush? Are you vengeful, or disappointed so you dump some poison on the ants pretty much without any feeling one way or another?

To "god" we'd be ants. As an ant, I understand I can't understand "god" but I hope he/she is less human than the Bible makes him out. (because we have issues)
I'm not a big believer in people picking and choosing and then creating their own religion, Rollo. That's how cults get started.
(08-19-2015, 11:43 PM)SickBeast Wrote: I'm not a big believer in people picking and choosing and then creating their own relgion, Rollo.  That's how cults get started.

It's kind of human nature to do that.  Yet, we've all been atheistic to some degree, and it's really hard to NOT be an atheist altogether.  Oh well. 

Where's the peace to just discuss scientific data and keep it at that???  LOL..