Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMD Continues To Lose Discrete Desktop GPU Share
http://www.mercuryresearch.com/graphics-pr-2015-q3.pdf
It's looking worse for AMD.  But they are doing a little better in mobile GPUs.
[Image: 92a.jpg]
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Wow those numbers are really bad for AMD.
[Image: 47105_06_amds-gpu-market-share-drops-aga...y_full.png]
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
So, WTF is AMD doing with ridiculous-priced Radeons if they're dropping more market share than ever before?

Where's the business sense in this, selling so few of these video cards that if the prices were slashed by 30%, at least twice as many would be selling (for LOTS more profit from 2x the revenue, if video cards are generally sold at around 4x the cost of manufacture)?

Bankruptcy (and the following "buy-me-out") must be the goal for AMD!
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
It's really bad for AMD right now. Their cards are already generally priced cheaper than the comparable cards from nVidia. I really don't think AMD can price the cards any lower. Then there is the fact that the Fury X is a turkey. I think they are in real trouble. If Zen is a bust then we can really expect them to go down soon. It's sad. They were the best at one point.
(08-24-2015, 12:00 AM)SickBeast Wrote: It's really bad for AMD right now.  Their cards are already generally priced cheaper than the comparable cards from nVidia.  I really don't think AMD can price the cards any lower.  Then there is the fact that the Fury X is a turkey.  I think they are in real trouble.  If Zen is a bust then we can really expect them to go down soon.  It's sad.  They were the best at one point.

Gosh, those guys that hired about 300 Advocates to destroy the internet forums, and spent their spare time getting me banned from every forum on the internet are going to go BANKRUPT?!

What a FUCKING SHAME.

No more mindless spambots posting "AMD launching new APU, 3% less feeble than last"?!

Yeah, I'm heartbroken.

Cruise_zaps_oprah

Burn AMD, burn.
(08-24-2015, 01:14 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 12:00 AM)SickBeast Wrote: It's really bad for AMD right now.  Their cards are already generally priced cheaper than the comparable cards from nVidia.  I really don't think AMD can price the cards any lower.  Then there is the fact that the Fury X is a turkey.  I think they are in real trouble.  If Zen is a bust then we can really expect them to go down soon.  It's sad.  They were the best at one point.

Gosh, those guys that hired about 300 Advocates to destroy the internet forums, and spent their spare time getting me banned from every forum on the internet are going to go BANKRUPT?!

What a FUCKING SHAME.

No more mindless spambots posting "AMD launching new APU, 3% less feeble than last"?!

Yeah, I'm heartbroken.

Cruise_zaps_oprah

Burn AMD, burn.

I agree, I would feel badly for them if they were actually an ethical company that treated the hardware community with respect. It was actually the way that they dealt with ABT and now BTR that completely turned me off of the company. Having their IP bought out by someone might actually be a good thing for everybody.

I still think Microsoft should buy them. I'm not sure what they're waiting for. I don't think AMD's stock can go much lower before they go completely broke.
It would be hilarious if MS bought them and made money on every PS4 sold.

MS could buy AMD with half what they paid for Minecraft, one fourth of three months profits for them. Literally pocket change for MS.

They don't even need to care about transfer of X86 at that price. They could just use AMD as a cheesy APU maker and second tier GPU maker, throw away the PC/server business altogether.
(08-24-2015, 02:20 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: It would be hilarious if MS bought them and made money on every PS4 sold.

MS could buy AMD with half what they paid for Minecraft, one fourth of three months profits for them. Literally pocket change for MS.

They don't even need to care about transfer of X86 at that price. They could just use AMD as a cheesy APU maker and second tier GPU maker, throw away the PC/server business altogether.

That's the thing. I don't know what's holding MS back from buying them out. To me it's a no brainer. There must be something about AMD that we just don't know. Perhaps they just have to fail at this point. MS may just be waiting to buy their IP when they go broke. To me though, they could make some decent money with the console revenue stream. AMD is making money on all 3 consoles right now.
AMD is like that giant restaurant in an out of the way location that goes in and out of business that every town has.

No one wants to be the next man that made the decision to invest good money in the Beefdozer CPU and the Kalamari APU.
(08-24-2015, 04:04 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: AMD is like that giant restaurant in an out of the way location that goes in and out of business that every town has.

No one wants to be the next man that made the decision to invest good money in the Beefdozer CPU and the Kalamari APU.

I dunno. To me AMD is actually doing quite OK considering the fact that their R&D budget is a fraction of Intel and nVidia's. They just need a great CEO to turn them around. Lisa Su is not that person, not even close. They also need to fire their entire marketing department. At this point it is too late though, they are going to either be bought out or they are going to go completely broke.

There are some brilliant engineers at AMD. It's a real shame that they couldn't have smart people running the company.
(08-24-2015, 05:01 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 04:04 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: AMD is like that giant restaurant in an out of the way location that goes in and out of business that every town has.

I dunno.  To me AMD is actually doing quite OK considering the fact that their R&D budget is a fraction of Intel and nVidia's.  They just need a great CEO to turn them around.  Lisa Su is not that person, not even close.  They also need to fire their entire marketing department.  At this point it is too late though, they are going to either be bought out or they are going to go completely broke.

There are some brilliant engineers at AMD.  It's a real shame that they couldn't have smart people running the company.

No, they need the money to hire NVIDIA and intels engineers, or to luck into some hires.

They don't have the product line to succeed now.
(08-24-2015, 02:20 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: It would be hilarious if MS bought them and made money on every PS4 sold.

Simple. M$ would be ripped to shreds by US and European anti-trust courts.

M$ isn't quite as brainless as you are.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(08-24-2015, 05:01 AM)SickBeast Wrote:

I dunno.  To me AMD is actually doing quite OK considering the fact that their R&D budget is a fraction of Intel and nVidia's.  They just need a great CEO to turn them around.  Lisa Su is not that person, not even close.  They also need to fire their entire marketing department.  At this point it is too late though, they are going to either be bought out or they are going to go completely broke.

There are some brilliant engineers at AMD.  It's a real shame that they couldn't have smart people running the company.

I don't believe AMD has had one single brilliant home-grown engineer in their entire existence.

up until the 5x86 they simply copied intels designs, masks and all. Even with 5x86 they only bumped the speed and added more cache.

K5 was a disaster, bulldozer and successors are a disaster.

Every other design came from talent AMD bought.

K6 - NexGen
K7 - Nexgen/DEC
K8 - DEC

(08-24-2015, 09:12 AM)gstanford Wrote:

Simple.  M$ would be ripped to shreds by US and European anti-trust courts.

What would be so "anti-trust" about M$ buying out AMD?  It's just a matter of time before AMD explodes like a nova, expelling all matter into space, and then whatever is left of its own imploded dwarf core (IP) is gobbled up by some company.  Whether it be Apple, Samsung, Google, etc.. what would it matter - Apple is already the biggest company of all, and has its own OS, makes its own chips, etc.   Why not Microsoft?  Google already has more "anti-trust" practices than Microsoft could ever dream of 10 years ago (if M$ did the exact same thing 10 years ago with Windows as Google did with Android, M$ would've been butchered for what Google is getting away with now). 

Plus AMD is such a peanut of a company - M$ would have to pour more cash than Intel has, in order to beat Intel on the CPU front anyway.  Nothing anti-trust about this, as long as Windows allows Intel's CPUs to run just fine.
Ok with science that the big bang theory requires that fundamental scientific laws do not exist for the first few minutes, but not ok for the creator to defy these laws...  Rolleyes
(08-24-2015, 11:03 AM)BoFox Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 09:12 AM)gstanford Wrote:

Simple.  M$ would be ripped to shreds by US and European anti-trust courts.

What would be so "anti-trust" about M$ buying out AMD?  It's just a matter of time before AMD explodes like a nova, expelling all matter into space, and then whatever is left of its own imploded dwarf core (IP) is gobbled up by some company.  Whether it be Apple, Samsung, Google, etc.. what would it matter - Apple is already the biggest company of all, and has its own OS, makes its own chips, etc.   Why not Microsoft?  Google already has more "anti-trust" practices than Microsoft could ever dream of 10 years ago (if M$ did the exact same thing 10 years ago with Windows as Google did with Android, M$ would've been butchered for what Google is getting away with now). 

Plus AMD is such a peanut of a company - M$ would have to pour more cash than Intel has, in order to beat Intel on the CPU front anyway.  Nothing anti-trust about this, as long as Windows allows Intel's CPUs to run just fine.

Haven't you heard? GStan is an expert on business law because he sells computer parts and installs them.

He knows more than any lawyer.

Rolleyes

I'm guessing GStifford is alleging that it would somehow be anti competitive if MS owned AMD because they be controlling the chips for Sony's consoles.

I wonder about his logic as MS would have to honor the contract in place with Sony, and their purchase might actually make it more likely the contract could be honored. If AMD goes out of business, no feeble APUs for anyone.
You can go on ignore mode with fruitcake. You can annoy the living shit out of him instead of me.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlmKQ_InOlZbjusq_De_n...gjSKd8r-iQ]
(08-24-2015, 05:40 PM)gstanford Wrote: You can go on ignore mode with fruitcake.  You can annoy the living shit out of him instead of me.

I suppose it is annoying having people point out why you are wrong or rude all the time.

Big last few days for you: Ignored me, ignored BoFox, issued a warning to Sick Beast.

What's next?

GStifford Wrote:Yeeearrgh! Fuck you no life losers! I will go to Babel Tech Reviews, and sit at the right hand of the master troll Apoppin!
(08-24-2015, 09:16 AM)gstanford Wrote: I don't believe AMD has had one single brilliant home-grown engineer in their entire existence.
up until the 5x86 they simply copied intels designs, masks and all. Even with 5x86 they only bumped the speed and added more cache.
So what?

If it wasn't for the lower cost of the AMD chips I never would have been able to afford the early goings of PC's.
I used AMD chips early on too, and they had a license from intel to clone intel's chips (grudgingly given from the 386 onwards) due to IBM/M$ wanting a 2nd processor supplier.

The reason for what I posted is the claim that "There are some brilliant engineers at AMD." My contention is that if there are (most of them have already left or been fired) they are people they brought into the company from NexGen and DEC.

(08-25-2015, 09:38 AM)gstanford Wrote: I used AMD chips early on too, and they had a license from intel to clone intel's chips (grudgingly given from the 386 onwards) due to IBM/M$ wanting a 2nd processor supplier.

The reason for what I posted is the claim that "There are some brilliant engineers at AMD."  My contention is that if there are (most of them have already left or been fired) they are people they brought into the company from NexGen and DEC.

Hey Gstan, want to know what EVERY engineer at AMD is?

A lot smarter than you. (or me, for that matter)
AMD does have brilliant engineers, particularly in their GPU department. Don't kid yourselves. AMD/ATi have been competing for the top spot in PC graphics for a very long time now, since before nVidia was even around actually. AMD/ATi has always had top notch hardware but they were held back by their drivers. Even the Fury X is an engineering marvel, this time held back by whatever moron spec'ed the card without HDMI 2.0, a pump that whines like crazy, and only 4gb of VRAM. The actual core of the GPU is excellent, that is my point. AMD's hardware engineers are excellent. The company is poorly run and that has nothing to do with the engineers. Do you think the engineers were all screaming "moar cores!!!" when they made Bulldozer? I don't think so. It had to have been a marketing decision to make consumers think they were getting something more powerful when it wasn't.
(08-26-2015, 04:59 AM)SickBeast Wrote: AMD does have brilliant engineers, particularly in their GPU department.  Don't kid yourselves.  AMD/ATi have been competing for the top spot in PC graphics for a very long time now, since before nVidia was even around actually.  AMD/ATi has always had top notch hardware but they were held back by their drivers.  Even the Fury X is an engineering marvel, this time held back by whatever moron spec'ed the card without HDMI 2.0, a pump that whines like crazy, and only 4gb of VRAM.  The actual core of the GPU is excellent, that is my point.  AMD's hardware engineers are excellent.  The company is poorly run and that has nothing to do with the engineers.  Do you think the engineers were all screaming "moar cores!!!" when they made Bulldozer?  I don't think so.  It had to have been a marketing decision to make consumers think they were getting something more powerful when it wasn't.

These decisions are made at the executive level, not my marketing.

I don't know if the Fury X is an "engineering marvel" as it's an old core with an interposer to access new memory, but it's definitely closer than anything in the CPU department.
Jensen of NV said that designing a GPU is fucking hard, so for AMD to continue to manage to come this close to even the 2nd generation of Maxwell with 1/10 the R&D budget is just mind-blowing. My hat goes off to AMD's engineers for that.

It's just the directors, especially the executives, that need to go.

This is sad how quickly AMD is losing marketshare now. This year might be the most difficult year ever, so far for this century...

I honestly don't expect Zen to even catch up with Haswell - it might just break even with Ivy Bridge's IPC performance, but what good would that do for AMD's CPU business? AMD better seriously hurry up with the 16nm FINFET GPU's by the end of this year, if possible, to avoid imploding.
[quote]
AMD/ATi have been competing for the top spot in PC graphics for a very long time now, since before nVidia was even around actually. /[quote]

'What?, ATi was never a 3D gamers card until AFTER NV entered the market, they did TV and 2D only! 3DFX started 3D with glide/DX and it was only after NV bought out ATi that they started with 3D to any end...
the driver issues was always there. I was helpdesk when ATi had the worst drivers on NT4 (well, so did Intel with i740 also), however I have no idea where you get the idea ATi ever 3D before NV or 3DFX
(09-15-2015, 01:26 PM)NZSol Wrote:
Quote: AMD/ATi have been competing for the top spot in PC graphics for a very long time now, since before nVidia was even around actually. /
Quote:'What?, ATi was never a 3D gamers card until AFTER NV entered the market, they did TV and 2D only! 3DFX started 3D with glide/DX and it was only after NV bought out ATi that they started with 3D to any end...
the driver issues was always there. I was helpdesk when ATi had the worst drivers on NT4 (well, so did Intel with i740 also), however I have no idea where you get the idea ATi ever 3D before NV or 3DFX
You know, if you're going to try to correct someone you really should have your facts straight. ATi released the 3D Rage graphics card in 1996. Yes, it did have 3D capabilities. nVidia did not release their Riva 128 until 1997, a year later.

Also, nVidia never "bought out" ATi.
(09-16-2015, 04:12 AM)SickBeast Wrote:
(09-15-2015, 01:26 PM)NZSol Wrote:
Quote: AMD/ATi have been competing for the top spot in PC graphics for a very long time now, since before nVidia was even around actually. /
Quote:'What?, ATi was never a 3D gamers card until AFTER NV entered the market, they did TV and 2D only! 3DFX started 3D with glide/DX and it was only after NV bought out ATi that they started with 3D to any end...
You know, if you're going to try to correct someone you really should have your facts straight.  ATi released the 3D Rage graphics card in 1996.  Yes, it did have 3D capabilities.  nVidia did not release their Riva 128 until 1997, a year later.

Also, nVidia never "bought out" ATi.

Oops, I meant NV bought out 3DFX, and 3D rage?, please...did anyone buy that?