Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9th-Grader arrested After Homemade Clock Mistaken For Bomb in school
9th-Grader arrested After Homemade Clock Mistaken For Bomb in school

9-16-2015

14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed was led away from MacArthur High School in handcuffs and faces possible charges after teachers, school administrators, and police in Irving, Texas mistook his homemade clock for a bomb.

The device — a circuit board, power supply, and digital display wired together inside a pencil box — was confiscated by a teacher after the alarm sounded in class.

Despite telling everyone who would listen that his device was just a clock, Ahmed was confronted by four police officers, suspended for three days, and threatened with expulsion unless he made a written statement, before eventually being transported to a juvenile detention center to meet his parents.
The kid has been invited to the Whitehouse once he gets out of jail.
It's just crazy that the school would do that to the kid.
(09-17-2015, 05:28 AM)SickBeast Wrote: It's just crazy that the school would do that to the kid.
This struck me personally.

35 years ago I started the Electronics class in my High School. I had spoken to the Metal Shop teacher before the end of 11th grade about how the school should be on the forefront of Electronics because that is the way the world is going. I showed him a digital clock I made from a 555 timer chip. The circuit was from the Forest Mimms book at Radio Shack and I built it using some big green displays that arrow electronics just came out instead of the plain Jane red digits so I had to make many power changes. We used my clock as the first project of the class.

If that was today I would have been arrested.
Yeah, maybe....maybe not.

If that was today and your name was Mohammad, then you would have been arrested.....no questions asked