Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[EDIT]hmmm.....whats going on at AMD? (and history of 3Dfx Rampage)
(02-23-2017, 07:47 PM)24601 Wrote: Far too late to buy stock, the point of buying stock is either on insider information before the hype train starts, and/or to buy it and then create your own hype-train.

If random people start saying to themselves "i should invest in this", it's usually dumping time.

Uh huh.

There's no way AMD could possibly go up for a while after launching the fastest CPUs on the planet. Impossible! Rolleyes
(02-23-2017, 07:26 PM)24601 Wrote: No one in their right mind bought Broadwell HEDT for gaming either.

Likely due to the price of most pieces, not because of sanity reasons. I guarantee, if the 6900k was $350-500, people would have been buying them by the boat load; irregardless of whether the performance benefited their gaming experience. Pre-orders for the 1800x are already selling out, and the damn thing hasn't even been released/reviewed yet.

Quote:I'm purely analyzing on performance, on the assumption that the people reading forums about this stuff will have an OCed 2500k or 3570k or better.

Yes, this is true if the individuals primarily do things like play games as you previously indicated. Otherwise, with multi-threaded apps, a processor like the 6900k eviscerates a 3570k; let alone a 2500k. Overclocked or otherwise. 1800x seems to edge out the 9600k, but is 50-60% cheaper.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/701?vs=1729
Where did I indicate that I didn't care about single threaded performance?
Don't know what all the fuss is about. AMD finally quits dragging its arse along the ground like a dog with ringworms and mostly catches up. Best part of a decade too late.

My 2600K and 4790K sure aren't getting replaced with anything AMD anytime soon.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(02-24-2017, 05:33 AM)gstanford Wrote: Don't know what all the fuss is about.  AMD finally quits dragging its arse along the ground like a dog with ringworms and mostly catches up.  Best part of a decade too late.

My 2600K and 4790K sure aren't getting replaced with anything AMD anytime soon.

Hey GStan, do you think it is surprising Baron Trump is going to get a better job than our sons?

Not me.

This is like our sons getting a better job than Baron Trump.

For AMD to come up with a better part after years of layoff, selling assets and cutting R&D budgets is nothing short of amazing.
I don't see it that way, either compete properly in an industry or get the hell out of it.

Up until Ryzen AMD were looking to get the hell out of it (via the Darwin award).

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
(02-24-2017, 05:16 AM)24601 Wrote: *Grabs popcorn while AMD fans try to slice the possibilities in exactly as fine a way as possible to make sure only AMD processors is the correct answer, despite being inferior in single core as well as multi-core in any reasonable scenario*

I guess Rollo was right about you then, huh? I'm using a 4670k btw, and there are only several, really active members here. As such, who are these AMD fans you're waiting for and why would you waste a good bag of popcorn? Weird.

Quote:Despite being inferior in single core as well as multi-core in any reasonable scenario*

You already own Ryzen? I've seen nothing but leaks thus far, most of them in AMD's favor. Not a single review.
(02-24-2017, 07:44 AM)googoo24 Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 05:16 AM)24601 Wrote: *Grabs popcorn while AMD fans try to slice the possibilities in exactly as fine a way as possible to make sure only AMD processors is the correct answer, despite being inferior in single core as well as multi-core in any reasonable scenario*

I guess Rollo was right about you then, huh? I'm using a 4670k btw, and there are only several, really active members here. As such, who are these AMD fans you're waiting for and why would you waste a good bag of popcorn? Weird.

Quote:Despite being inferior in single core as well as multi-core in any reasonable scenario*

You already own Ryzen? I've seen nothing but leaks thus far, most of them in AMD's favor. Not a single review.

It could be said I have my differences with AMD. (as they basically had me run off the internet)

Nonetheless, I'm really happy for their triumph. To come up with this after Bulldozer is like Britney Spears waking up one day and composing Beethoven's 5th. All odds were against them and they hit it out of the park.
Quote:Nonetheless, I'm really happy for their triumph. To come up with this after Bulldozer is like Britney Spears waking up one day and composing Beethoven's 5th. All odds were against them and they hit it out of the park.
They did what they have done in the past with K6, K7, K8 -- they went and got outside expertise (Jim Keller) to rescue them.

Their last "in-house success" would be the 5x86 and that was just polishing an intel 486 design....

You are aware that Trollo used to shill for nvidia, yes?

Why wouldn't he shill for AMD if they paid him well enough? he has a fancy new house to pay for not to mention he likes to purchase new road trains every several years.  Of course he's going to take AMD's money and run his mouth, just like he used to for nvidia.

Quote:Lol, you parrot AMD's talking points to the letter that they have sent out to their viral marketers and then you try to paint me as a shill.

Weird, I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. I said, based on all the leaks presented ( I assume you're saying they've all been paid off by AMD), these chips seem competitive. They do. Unless you have something to the contrary.

I also didn't call you a shill, but I did agree with someone else who indicated that you might be; particularly when reflecting on your superior Intel cores and AMD fans jab. Or, at the least, you have a bias against AMD.

Quote:Too funny.

Like saying AMD's new architecture pales in comparison (in both single and multi=threaded apps) to Intel's; despite these chips not even having been remotely reviewed? Right.

Quote:You insist on talking about unreleased hardware

Well, this is a hardware forum.

Quote:that is not independently reviewed

Yeah, I blatantly said that myself several times, I believe. You even quoted me just saying that.

Quote:that I specifically told everyone to keep their panties on until good reviews come out, and then when I respond to you you literally call me a shill and that >>I<< was the one to have brought such a thing up.

Uhh.....That was Rollo. My name is Googoo. Entirely different. You okay, friend?

Quote:You have zero self-awareness. And it is absolutely hilarious.
Now that I I think on it, you've have obviously mashed me and Rollo's post together. You're right, that is hilarious.
Well, aren't you bed-bug crazy? I might have to stay away from popcorn in the near future.

And why the heck would I care about an ignore list? I have 41 posts in two-years!

(02-24-2017, 02:51 PM)gstanford Wrote: You are aware that Trollo used to shill for nvidia, yes?

Why wouldn't he shill for AMD if they paid him well enough?  he has a fancy new house to pay for not to mention he likes to purchase new road trains every several years.  Of course he's going to take AMD's money and run his mouth, just like he used to for nvidia.

Shhhh.....Apparently I'm Rollo in disguise. My devious mental tricks have been foiled! If it wasn't for those meddling kids and that mutt....Oh, wait.
APUs for Zen confirmed: https://www.techpowerup.com/230961/amd-z...-this-year
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
(02-24-2017, 02:51 PM)gstanford Wrote: You are aware that Trollo used to shill for nvidia, yes?

Why wouldn't he shill for AMD if they paid him well enough?  he has a fancy new house to pay for not to mention he likes to purchase new road trains every several years.  Of course he's going to take AMD's money and run his mouth, just like he used to for nvidia.

I'm too busy doing psychopath stuff to do any shilling these days....

Hit_head
(02-24-2017, 03:39 PM)googoo24 Wrote: Well, aren't you bed-bug crazy? I might have to stay away from popcorn in the near future.

And why the heck would I care about an ignore list? I have 41 posts in two-years!

Shhhh.....Apparently I'm Rollo in disguise. My devious mental tricks have been foiled! If it wasn't for those meddling kids and that mutt....Oh, wait.

ROFLMAO

You should post here more dude, this is funny stuff!
(02-25-2017, 06:45 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Hit_head

You been doing that forever! What's changed?

ROFLMAO

(02-25-2017, 07:39 AM)gstanford Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 06:45 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Hit_head

You been doing that forever!  What's changed?

ROFLMAO

You, SB, and 90210 are astute psychiatrists, to be sure.

I can't believe I don't live by your wise words, and continue to fumble along. Rolleyes

ROFLMAO

serious man!!!!!

I absolutely cannot stand AMD marketeers. I think AMD has ruined forums, accelerating their demise. I cannot stand thinking about it, it can make me boil!!!

BUT----

I have nothing but excitement for Ryzen. I cannot wait. Things look very good at this point, i feel anyone who really loves PC...any old school hardware geek out there should be excited.

Rollos sentiment is not out of place at all. I am feeling it....as much or more
It's hard to get excited when you are sitting on an i7-4790K and ani7-2600K, both of which cost less than $400 Australian, meanwhile ryzen is listed at $469 for the plain 1700 and a whopping $699 for the 1800X.

http://www.scorptec.com.au

[Image: KvcUYbN.jpg]

And we haven't considered the minefield Ryzen has to negotiate yet with an inferior motherboard chipset and the intel optimizing compiler just waiting to trip it up at any opportunity.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryz...33771.html
Quote:Major new CPU launches rarely go without a hitch. Tom’s Hardware has learned that Ryzen motherboards (Socket AM4) could pose a potential problem with some of the announced CPU cooling solutions. This problem is specifically related to the backplates designed to secure the heatsink on the processors.

We’ve discovered that the backplates provided with some major motherboard brands could come with a screw that is too long. The screws reach their safety stop too soon, leaving the spring with too much headroom, and then the pressure of the sink on the CPU is inadequate.

According to our sources, AMD has provided the location of the fastening screws, but not the height of the screw holders. Sinks that use the backplate supplied with the motherboard could pose problems, especially those that have a compatibility kit.

We found that a few large cooling solutions may be impacted, as well as some popular motherboards.

The sinks (heatsink and waterblock) using their own backplates should not pose a problem, however.
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.
Review of 1700x leaks!!!!!!!!..............(Ahem). Actually, it's an engineering sample on an engineering sample board with bios problems.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-re...enchmarks/

I think I'll just wait for tomorrows reviews, but anything to keep those fans frothing at the mouth. LOL.
Another sighting of Vega: http://techreport.com/news/31571/rumor-r...t-1200-mhz
(03-10-2017, 11:13 PM)SteelCrysis Wrote: Another sighting of Vega: http://techreport.com/news/31571/rumor-r...t-1200-mhz

A little faster than 1080, priced at $400 or $450, with better DX12 would sell well.

Just the Freesync monitor factor alone is enough to drive some sales.
AMD's RAM division is not going anywhere fast: https://www.techpowerup.com/231586/amds-...standstill
New pictures of Vega: https://www.techpowerup.com/231591/amds-...es-surface
https://www.techpowerup.com/231724/amd-s...t-in-linux
Someone in the comments notices that AMD's patches mention a PLX sensor. This could mean a dual-GPU Vega card.
(03-23-2017, 04:08 AM)SteelCrysis Wrote: https://www.techpowerup.com/231724/amd-s...t-in-linux
Someone in the comments notices that AMD's patches mention a PLX sensor. This could mean a dual-GPU Vega card.

The days of CF/SLi on a stick are largely past due to the decline of multi GPU support.
https://www.techpowerup.com/231757/amd-s...its-gpu-ip
Quote:This is an unusual article to cover at Techpowerup: We don't usually do mobile stuff. Nevertheless, when a household name like AMD strikes out against some household names in the mobile verse such as LG, Mediatek, Vizio, Sigma, and such, we probably should cover it. AMD's financial wellbeing is important to competitiveness and all, right?

Ok, so what's the issue? Mainly, graphics patents, and intellectual property. AMD thinks ARM Holdings GPU designs infringe on their graphics technology portfolio. Wait, ARM Holdings? Why not sue them? According to the source article, it's due to the convoluted way Intellectual Property law works. In short, because ARM licenses their GPU tech to other companies who build it (ARM Holdings doesn't make anything, it's an idea-house/design farm), it's easier to sue a finalized product with an infringing GPU included than someone who is peddling an idea of a product that would infringe if it were ever made. So, they start things off suing the end vendor, Mediatek, who makes several chipsets incorporating the GPU-principles in question, and of course also the biggest phone vendors currently using those chipsets (South Korean giant LG, among some other minor phone builders).

As a mere bystander who uses both mobile phones and PC products daily, I'm sort of torn by this news. On one hand, I love AMD. On the other hand, this feels to me like a patent troll attempt of sorts, but then I remind myself AMD has actually spent years developing graphics technology and they do have a right to defend those exclusive technologies. I guess I need more information on what exactly is infringing. Information has not exactly been forthcoming with this case in regard to technical details, unfortunately.

Regardless, AMD is seeking a cease and desist order to stop the import and sale of the products involved in the USA, so they aren't playing soft with the mobile companies by any means. The gloves are off. I guess the question to be asked here is whether or not that is justified.
RX Vega will come in 4 GB and 8 GB models: http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-rx-vega-will-...-variants/
Hit_head
Now you know AMD has found out how to use system ram so the 4 GB will be just fine. See, when a game needs something that is not stored on the video card ram, the driver will just call up that data from the system ram.

See, it is genius. No need to worry about the vram.

ROFLMAO

HBM allows you to use system ram as ram without penalty. But, no one has to worry about it anyway. Because AMD drivers are so smart that they automatically store everything you will ever need in the vram that is available. The problem with vram is that we have been using too much vram. See, think about it. Less is more.

Nvidia is doomed. They will never beat vega until they figures this secret out. The only way to beat vega? They have to put 2gb vram on the 1080ti. They wont be able to touch it as long as they are using too much vram. Anything over 4gb is too much. If nvidia released 4gb 1080ti cards, they might be able to tie vega performance. It will absolutely need to be less than 4gb to beat them!!!!

ROFLMAO

Okay okay...I got one more.

Vega will only need 4 and 8gb because it is a gtx1080 (non ti) competitor. Its not powerful enough to need more memory.

The 4gb vega will be the single chip variant, the 8gb will be the dual chip on a single PCB.
The dual chip vega will actually be able to beat out the GP104 in the few games that support multi GPU.

Oh, and the delay is due to AMD trying to get one DX12 game to launch that has proper multi GPU support. This one game will be the only game people talk about on forums, no matter if they only sell 60k copies..it will be the end all be all game that is in every sites benchmark suit and the only game benchmark that matters. All other games will be considered not true games and will be disregarded outright as worthless cherrypicking. ROFLMAO

What ya think?
If the 8GB is a two chip CF on a stick solution, AMD has BIG problems selling that.

The rest of your post is pretty spot on.