Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walmart suffering at last!!
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies...li=BBgzzfc

Haha, nice to see Walmart going over the hill at last........

America was getting too Walmart-ized, and I was wondering when we'd ever see the turning point.  Looks like we're moving on to better stores.  Costco rocks...  Sam's Club can take it up the rear!
They didn't address their biggest problem, not enough cashiers.

They have 32 checkout lanes but only 2 cashiers results in crazy insane unacceptable wait time to get out of the store.
QFT! That's greed, and taking us for granted.

The quality of food/groceries is hardly any better than at a convenience store. My wife used to go there once a week because it was cheap, but for several years now we get our food from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Costco, etc.. We don't miss Walmart one bit. Life is too short for cheap junk. Organic foods really do taste that much better than brands with hydrogenated oils, artificial flavors, 5 different kinds of chemical preservatives, etc.
(10-27-2015, 07:20 PM)BoFox Wrote: QFT!  That's greed, and taking us for granted.

The quality of food/groceries is hardly any better than at a convenience store.  My wife used to go there once a week because it was cheap, but for several years now we get our food from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Costco, etc..  We don't miss Walmart one bit.  Life is too short for cheap junk.  Organic foods really do taste that much better than brands with hydrogenated oils, artificial flavors, 5 different kinds of chemical preservatives, etc.

Agreed - BUT.....

I have a Super Walmart within a mile of my house. VERY handy. Open 24-7, whatever you need, chances are they have it.

I get that their produce and meats aren't top tier (although they do sell organic that I buy) but all the pre-packaged stuff from Apple Jacks to XBones is the same stuff you buy anywhere else, as cheap as it is anywhere else, and there's a sub shop, a liquor store, and a hair cut place besides. (haven't used the others, but you can believe me when I say I like having that place around when I make a rare trip to a brick and mortar store)

I saw they're raising their wages for the easy work there to at least $10/hour for everyone next year, and that isn't bad for that level of work.

They also pay average full time employees $13-$15/hour which IMO is really GOOD for stocking shelves or checking people out.
Costco paid its workers an average of well over $20/hr last year, compared to nat'l retail average of $11/hr.
http://www.businessinsider.com/costco-pa...ur-2014-10

Plus I think Costco is actually a better deal than Sam's Club, let alone Walmart. In addition, the quality is usually far better. I'm appreciating Walmart far less than I did 10 years ago. Even Amazon is beating Walmart with nearly everything in the electronics department.
(10-29-2015, 01:56 AM)BoFox Wrote: Costco paid its workers an average of well over $20/hr last year, compared to nat'l retail average of $11/hr.
http://www.businessinsider.com/costco-pa...ur-2014-10

Plus I think Costco is actually a better deal than Sam's Club, let alone Walmart.  In addition, the quality is usually far better.  I'm appreciating Walmart far less than I did 10 years ago.  Even Amazon is beating Walmart with nearly everything in the electronics department.

I've had a Costco card for a few years, never been there. My wife goes sometimes.

In general I only shop online, but if I need something right now, WallyWorld is closest.

Costco is the exception to the retail world. My guess is every person who works retail has their resume' in at Costco.
Quote:America was getting too Walmart-ized, and I was wondering when we'd ever see the turning point.

Outside of a very rare occasion, I avoid WalMart like the plague. We have a Target where I pay more- am greeted downright pleasantly by those that work there and walk up to a cashier who is ready to ring me up right away. No Costco in my town, can't speak on it(not going to buy a membership for a store I'd need to drive an hour to get to).

Quote:They also pay average full time employees $13-$15/hour which IMO is really GOOD for stocking shelves or checking people out.

For a cashier yeah, for stockers, at least overnight, that is actually fairly poor. Hannafords(same corporation as Food Lion) in my town starts part time overnight stockers at $13.50 with no experience- average full time experienced crew members are in the $20/hr range(one of my younger cousins just got a job there a few months ago, was talking to him about it the other day). To be fair, the productivity standards are almost three times higher at Hananfords and quite honestly, two years experience at Wal Mart doing the *exact same job* counts as a *negative* versus someone with *NO* experience(Wal Mart experience in general is considered a negative at most places of employment).

Quote:but all the pre-packaged stuff from Apple Jacks to XBones is the same stuff you buy anywhere else

You might be surprised to learn that isn't always the case. Frequently their package sizes are actually smaller- unit cost they are still almost always cheaper, but they are fairly clever in offering SKUs you can't directly compare to the competition(nor are the competition even allowed access to them to be competitive). This is a buying power issue, but let's say even a multi billion dollar distributor can't give the companies enough to get the same SKU. Fuck squeezing out the little guy, Wal Mart squeezes out multi billion dollar corporate conglomerates.
(10-29-2015, 07:22 PM)Mariaupaza Wrote: how is there service actually?

Walmart's or Costco
:good:

I've never had problems with returns or restocking fees, so I'd say "good".
(10-29-2015, 10:50 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Haha, waiting 30 minutes in a line to return a defective light bulb?  

Well, yeah, some Walmarts have good waiting times, but others are just HORRIBLE!!!  I guess Madison/Wisconsin has nice Walmarts in that respect. 

Ever try returning a defective console (like PS4) to Walmart?  Or a smartphone?  Amazon might simply incur a restocking fee, while Walmart would just pass the buck onto the manufacturer, forcing you to have to jump through 10 hoops just to ship it across the country.  

My dislike for Walmart doubled each year for the past few years..  practically ALL of the mixed nut variants are about 1/2 el-cheapo peanuts, or more!!
(10-30-2015, 01:03 PM)BoFox Wrote:
(10-29-2015, 10:50 PM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:

Haha, waiting 30 minutes in a line to return a defective light bulb?  

Well, yeah, some Walmarts have good waiting times, but others are just HORRIBLE!!!  I guess Madison/Wisconsin has nice Walmarts in that respect. 

Ever try returning a defective console (like PS4) to Walmart?  Or a smartphone?  Amazon might simply incur a restocking fee, while Walmart would just pass the buck onto the manufacturer, forcing you to have to jump through 10 hoops just to ship it across the country.  

My dislike for Walmart doubled each year for the past few years..  practically ALL of the mixed nut variants are about 1/2 el-cheapo peanuts, or more!!

I don't know if I'd wait 30 minutes to return a car, let alone a light bulb.

Pretty much everything in the Madison, WI area is nice:

http://www.livability.com/best-places/to...-live/2015

Ranked as the best place to live in the 2015 list on livability.com, #3 on 2016.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/27...44142.html

Huffington Post says it might be the best place to retire.

Quote:Madison makes so many "best places" lists -- not just for retirement -- that you almost have to consider it. It was also named among Kiplinger's Best Cities for Personal Finance in 2009; Best College Sports Town by Sports Illustrated in 2003; Best Small City to Live by Men’s Journal in 2004 and named one of America’s Best Adventure Towns by National Geographic in 2009.

As for Walmart nuts:

I buy Planters Heart Healthy nuts there, and WalMart Pistachios. (all pistachios, no peanuts!)
Hmm, I would imagine that Madison is a nice small (500,000 people) metro area... the lakes in the city does make it unique. I wonder if there are lots of ice skating, hockey, ice fishing, etc.. on these lakes during the winter? Friendly town, unlike NYC?

I just personally dislike peanuts - not much for me to choose at Walmart. I see there's a Trader Joe's at Madison. Try their mixed nuts - so many different varieties. Pistachios are cheaper there as well. Try out Whole Foods as well! Madison is cool for having these stores, lol. Lots of parks in Madison!! Looks like a town that is easy to fall in love with.
(11-01-2015, 12:34 AM)BoFox Wrote: Hmm, I would imagine that Madison is a nice small (500,000 people) metro area...  the lakes in the city does make it unique.  I wonder if there are lots of ice skating, hockey, ice fishing, etc.. on these lakes during the winter?  Friendly town, unlike NYC?  

I just personally dislike peanuts - not much for me to choose at Walmart.  I see there's a Trader Joe's at Madison.  Try their mixed nuts - so many different varieties.  Pistachios are cheaper there as well.  Try out Whole Foods as well!  Madison is cool for having these stores, lol.  Lots of parks in Madison!!  Looks like a town that is easy to fall in love with.

Madison is a very friendly town, big enough to have things to do/places to shop, pretty good employment, low crime.

Hockey is serious business in the Madison area, most of it played on ice arenas. Lots of skating, ice fishing, wind sailing, on the lakes though.

I don't go places and say, "I wish I lived here.". (and have turned down jobs elsewhere)