Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need more members
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/alienbabeltech.com

This site is over 1,000,000 on the web traffic rankings, need more posters and readers so Dave can get some ad revenue rolling in to fund this place.
So what do you propose we do about that? We need content on the main page for starters, but with no money coming in I don't see how Dave is going to pay people to do that.

The forum could potentially grow in and of itself, but how do we promote it? You are the marketing guy, Rollo, come on, fill us in, please.
(03-13-2015, 05:55 AM)SickBeast Wrote: So what do you propose we do about that?  We need content on the main page for starters, but with no money coming in I don't see how Dave is going to pay people to do that.

The forum could potentially grow in and of itself, but how do we promote it?  You are the marketing guy, Rollo, come on, fill us in, please.

You know exactly what I do, as I described my position in the software industry in pretty great detail on the old forum.

If I were Dave I would advertise for partners and offer small shares (10%) of site ownership in exchange for reviews/tech articles. Got to be a bunch of young journalism majors with more time than money, or even just hobbyists. As long as he keeps controlling interest (51%) he retains control and gets free labor.
I don't know if you told us exactly what you do. IIRC we "guessed" that you do HR at a software firm. I think you were banned right after that discussion.
(03-13-2015, 05:50 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/alienbabeltech.com

This site is over 1,000,000 on the web traffic rankings, need more posters and readers so Dave can get some ad revenue rolling in to fund this place.

AT used to be #1

It is not the place everyone wants to be anymore.

What sites are related to alienbabeltech.com?
Related Links
1. techpowerup.com
2. overclock.net
3. anandtech.com
u am glad to see you back, rollo

Anyway, its been a busy week for me. I dont have a lot of time right now but i am trying to catch up on the topics!!!!
(03-13-2015, 08:46 PM)ocre Wrote: u am glad to see you back, rollo

Anyway, its been a busy week for me.    I dont have a lot of time right now but i am trying to catch up on the topics!!!!

Thanks Ocre, glad to be back. Wonder what happened to BoFox? Apparently he's not banned, hopefully he will return.

(and a more cheerful Apoppin for that matter)
Didn't bofox say that he's really busy right now? Apoppin won't be back. I would be very surprised.
(03-14-2015, 03:57 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Didn't bofox say that he's really busy right now? Apoppin won't be back. I would be very surprised.

(sound of breathing in tin can)

Apoppin....I am your father.....

Return to the ABT and fulfill your oath.......

(sound of breathing in tin can)
You think apoppin wants to come here to talk to you? He's the one that banned you to begin with. Do you not remember how badly you belittled the poor guy for having less education than you? Did you do the same thing to Dave as well? I think that you have really offended Mark. He is a really nice person. At this point it looks to me as though the damage done is beyond repair. I don't think he wants anything more to do with you, Rollo. He's clearly upset with Dave as well. I just don't think now is the right time. Maybe at some point in the future but right now I don't think we will see him. Not for at least a year or two IMO, if ABT survives that long.

Are you saying that you are going to let it go and join us at BTR, or should apoppin let it go and join us here?
(03-14-2015, 05:53 AM)SickBeast Wrote: You think apoppin wants to come here to talk to you?  He's the one that banned you to begin with.  Do you not remember how badly you belittled the poor guy for having less education than you?
Only in response to Apoppin repeatedly asserting that I am "stupid" and "far beneath him in intellect". Had he not done so, I never would have mentioned it.

(03-14-2015, 05:53 AM)SickBeast Wrote:  Did you do the same thing to Dave as well?
Nope. When I found out what happened to Dave at work I tried to convince him in PMs to finish his degree and turn the tables on his employer. It's the same advice I give my son- as an employee your power is the combination of how difficult you are to replace and how easily you can walk. Dave's like me- older guy in young man's tech world, lots of experience. Only difference in us is I have a couple bachelor's on my resume'.

(03-14-2015, 05:53 AM)SickBeast Wrote:  I think that you have really offended Mark.  He is a really nice person.  At this point it looks to me as though the damage done is beyond repair.  I don't think he wants anything more to do with you, Rollo.
I think it's fair to say Apoppin and I have a history of harsh words between us.

(03-14-2015, 05:53 AM)SickBeast Wrote:  He's clearly upset with Dave as well.  I just don't think now is the right time.  Maybe at some point in the future but right now I don't think we will see him.  Not for at least a year or two IMO, if ABT survives that long.

Apoppin should swallow his pride, come back here and work out a deal for some sort of partnership with Dave as they need each other. I'm peripheral and a distraction- the only reason I matter here is the forum was dying and I like to talk on forums.

Dave needs content, Mark can supply it. Mark needs the site he helped build, he may well NEVER build the unknown BTR site.

This site could be profitable if Mark can control his outbursts on the forums and deal with people in a civilized manner. My guess is he'll keep sulking in the no mans land of BTR, a victim of his pride.
I can see why Mark left. Partnerships often fail in business. If I were him I would want to run my own show as well. I personally think that BTR is going to be very successful for him. He writes great reviews and he has a lot of industry contacts at this point. He's going to get traffic the more articles he writes.

ABT needs content more than it needs forum members at this point. Do the forums generate any type of revenue for Dave? I would say no.
(03-15-2015, 02:15 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I can see why Mark left.  Partnerships often fail in business.  If I were him I would want to run my own show as well.  I personally think that BTR is going to be very successful for him.  He writes great reviews and he has a lot of industry contacts at this point.  He's going to get traffic the more articles he writes.

ABT needs content more than it needs forum members at this point.  Do the forums generate any type of revenue for Dave?  I would say no.

I guess I don't understand this business, but I was under the impression that ad revenues are paid on page hits the ads are on.

Babeltechreviews has no web traffic rank, this place had around 100,000 as it's web traffic rank at the height of it's popularity.

Ironically, immediately after Apoppin banned me to care for the site's "growth phase" the web traffic here began to PLUMMET. (apparently more than a few people found my posts interesting) Even before the problems with the site traffic dropped like a stone after Apoppin banned me.

Personally, I think the only chance he has is to come back here and try to do what he was doing before, make this site an AT VF alternative.

Apoppin isn't getting any younger. He put 7-8 years into this place. Now what? He's going to put 7-8 more into BTR and be over 70 years old when he starts to get some traction? Time is not on Apoppin's side.

At the end of the day, Apoppin and Dave both have reasons to partner. Although it may be in Dave's better interest to try and find younger reviewers more in touch with computer gaming. When you go to CES, PAX, Nvidia launch parties, in general you don't see people in their 60s.

Apoppin may not be a web presence the all important teen to thirty something market can identify with.
(03-15-2015, 02:49 AM)RolloTheGreat Wrote:
(03-15-2015, 02:15 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I can see why Mark left.  Partnerships often fail in business.  If I were him I would want to run my own show as well.  I personally think that BTR is going to be very successful for him.  He writes great reviews and he has a lot of industry contacts at this point.  He's going to get traffic the more articles he writes.

ABT needs content more than it needs forum members at this point.  Do the forums generate any type of revenue for Dave?  I would say no.

I guess I don't understand this business, but I was under the impression that ad revenues are paid on page hits the ads are on.

Babeltechreviews has no web traffic rank, this place had around 100,000 as it's web traffic rank at the height of it's popularity.

Ironically, immediately after Apoppin banned me to care for the site's "growth phase" the web traffic here began to PLUMMET. (apparently more than a few people found my posts interesting) Even before the problems with the site traffic dropped like a stone after Apoppin banned me.

Personally, I think the only chance he has is to come back here and try to do what he was doing before, make this site an AT VF alternative.

Apoppin isn't getting any younger. He put 7-8 years into this place. Now what? He's going to put 7-8 more into BTR and be over 70 years old when he starts to get some traction? Time is not on Apoppin's side.

At the end of the day, Apoppin and Dave both have reasons to partner. Although it may be in Dave's better interest to try and find younger reviewers more in touch with computer gaming. When you go to CES, PAX, Nvidia launch parties, in general you don't see people in their 60s.

Apoppin may not be a web presence the all important teen to thirty something market can identify with.
Well I don't see any ads whatsoever on the forum. I'm pretty sure that ABT would get money every time someone clicks on an ad. They probably also get money whenever someone views the ad.

Perhaps Dave should try putting some ads in the forum. If it pays to keep this place going I'm all for it.

I really don't think apoppin is coming back here. I think he will be fine at btr. Give him a year and see what happens over there.
(03-15-2015, 01:01 AM)SickBeast Wrote: Are you saying that you are going to let it go and join us at BTR, or should apoppin let it go and join us here?

My support was always for the abt. I appreciated the articles poppy wrote and a huge fan of his work. He just goes full retard when you don't agree with him 100% on everything.

Apoppin left the abt, not me.

Perhaps you should review the old forum which explains the whole situation clearly. I do not want to lay down on his personal chopping block and will not give him the pleasure at the BTR. I don't want to feed his twisted demon. The one that eats on him up from the inside out.

Apoppin is not a bad guy but he does have some very real issues. If he is ever able to identify and conquer them, he may find great joy. Best wishes to him.

The things he said on the old forum let me know what he thinks of me and everyone at the abt. That was our home, not his. But that is how he wanted to run the place. I have no idea how he saw this forum of the 21st century he claimed to want to build but it became very clear to me that he wouldn't welcome any ideas he did not share. All it seemed he wanted was to hear himself talk, his ideas repeated and constant high fives and thumbs up. Anyone speaking their own ideas, not even directly speaking to apoppin, was targeted with an ever increasing force until submission or they were purged.

This, in my opinion, really kept the abt forums from growing. And now he starts the BTR and makes it absolutely known that this is 100% his site. He is the supreme leader there and he runs the show. So, all that it can be is his echo chamber. He already banned or ran off 1 out of 3 members. And because what? he didn't like what they say?

I would surely be banned at the BTR. He is looking for members of a higher caliber, people that worship his every word or that are easily willing to take a beating into submission. His say or no way.
I have never had an issue disagreeing with him. I find that he can be very stubborn and he definitely has his own ideas but he has never once disrespected me or anything like that. I think that he was under stress when you guys had your issue. I don't think he would ban you at btr. He never banned you or even gave you a vacation here.
I wish him the best of luck with the BTR. The last thing I will say on the matter sums it up just fine I think. When he was trying to recruit people from the abt to join the BTR forums, he was saying that he had some secret, special, neutral, and fair unnamed mod that was not him. Of course, I thought it very suspicious and wasnt buying it. Then I hear that this secret, neutral and just mod was apoppin himself....

Come on now!

It is a silly little game at best and complete psycho at worst.
(03-16-2015, 08:43 AM)ocre Wrote: I wish him the best of luck with the BTR.  The last thing I will say on the matter sums it up just fine I think.  When he was trying to recruit people from the abt to join the BTR forums, he was saying that he had some secret, special, neutral, and fair unnamed mod that was not him.   Of course, I thought it very suspicious and wasnt buying it.  Then I hear that this secret, neutral and just mod was apoppin himself....

Come on now!

He pretty much "had" to say that after the awful things he said here.

It is pretty interesting though. Gives a whole new spin to "wearing many hats".

Apoppin: Here at BTR, we have an unimpeachable, fair and balanced mod, Timothy!
Apoppin, posting as Timothy: Hello BTR masses, I am Timothy. I went to mod college, have been certified by Prince Albert of Monaco as impartial, and have completed all my badges to be an Eagle Scout!"
Apoppin: Thank you for helping out at my site Timothy!
(03-16-2015, 08:43 AM)ocre Wrote: I wish him the best of luck with the BTR.  The last thing I will say on the matter sums it up just fine I think.  When he was trying to recruit people from the abt to join the BTR forums, he was saying that he had some secret, special, neutral, and fair unnamed mod that was not him.   Of course, I thought it very suspicious and wasnt buying it.  Then I hear that this secret, neutral and just mod was apoppin himself....

Come on now!

I think he has scrapped the plan to use that mod. I'm pretty sure that he said that the mod would only come out in dire circumstances. apoppin banned SteelCrysis himself, for example.
Hey guys, hey!

You finally ditched the old forum! Seems it's working a lot smoother. Kudos, Dave!

Woof, I'm bored and swung by BTR. I can make some damn good lemonade with all that bitterness. <removed>

So, suggestions for the site - I'm telling you what you can do, check out these links:
http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7
http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8
http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10
http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11

You see all those links? That is all content! Front page material. You get those posted on the front page with perhaps a little summary, and you can start funneling people to your forums/website.

Example:
<Front Page>
"Seems like AMD is in for another wave of bad news."

"GM200 is prepping to release with no direct answer from AMD. Videocardz breaks down what they've been able to discover.

But what do you think? Stop by and talk about it in our ABT forums!"
<End of Front Page>

You take the time to do something with a few articles and you will start drawing traffic/attention. And use clickbait titles, nothing stirs up people wanting to chatter more than that.

Get a subreddit page going, use it as your simple RSS page, same thing I posted above have whomever you trust to handle this crap post a link there and it will also funnel traffic here.

As you start to draw traffic, you can that start to offer unique content by throwing a few posters a bone. Trust me, there are tons of people wanting to share their opinions.

Just some suggestions. You don't even need a dedicated webmaster, just someone who can spin a good yarn, summary an article nicely, and even being a little controversial.

Till next time  Heart
railven you always have been one of the rudest people I have ever come across.
(03-17-2015, 09:43 AM)SickBeast Wrote: railven you always have been one of the rudest people I have ever come across.

Oh, see if this works....this forum uses a rather interesting setup....

I'm very rude. I'm also very kind.  Big Grin

Take me jabs as just jabs. I have no malice towards you (or anyone, I frankly don't care enough to harbor rivalries).

Anyways, I'll edit that post it was definitely a little "too soon" for them Smile

[Figured it out! I want this to stand as it's own post, since I feel it is important]
[EDIT: SOB! Eff it, too tired to figure it out, haha.]

Also, I read that you guys officially split (at least I saw that over there).

Who actually owns the "Alien Babel Tech" name? I'd personally get this resolved if you really want to make this into something more than just a few guys hanging out in a forum.

I'm no lawyer, and I've seen people sue for less, but the names are so damn similar - the owner of the name "Alien Babel Tech" could probably put the other person into a pinch.

IE, save Dave owns it - he can probably claim "Babel Tech Review" (frankly it's one damn word changed, come on!) is infringing on his IP, yada yada.

Reverse it, Mark can make the same claim if he owns the "Alien Babel Tech" name.

Once money starts to get involved (web traffic/ad revenue/etc) that is going to be an issue because everyone loves money.

Dave, you should really look into that and I know Mark is already lurking this place <I'm civil!> and will get the message.
(03-17-2015, 09:31 AM)railven Wrote: You finally ditched the old forum! Seems it's working a lot smoother. Kudos, Dave!

I didn't have a choice. I updated the the old PHP3 software without realizing the new revision was incomparable with the old rev. Then I tried using the backup to fix it and made it worse. It was always a difficult forum software package. This MyBB seems to be cleaner and leaner and hopefully not so prone to such a hard crash like that and they don't make incompatible versions.
(03-17-2015, 09:31 AM)railven Wrote: Hey guys, hey!

You finally ditched the old forum! Seems it's working a lot smoother. Kudos, Dave!

Woof, I'm bored and swung by BTR. I can make some damn good lemonade with all that bitterness. <removed>

So, suggestions for the site - I'm telling you what you can do, check out these links:
http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7
http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8
http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10
http://alienbabeltech.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11

You see all those links? That is all content! Front page material. You get those posted on the front page with perhaps a little summary, and you can start funneling people to your forums/website.

Example:
<Front Page>
"Seems like AMD is in for another wave of bad news."

"GM200 is prepping to release with no direct answer from AMD. Videocardz breaks down what they've been able to discover.

But what do you think? Stop by and talk about it in our ABT forums!"
<End of Front Page>

You take the time to do something with a few articles and you will start drawing traffic/attention. And use clickbait titles, nothing stirs up people wanting to chatter more than that.

Get a subreddit page going, use it as your simple RSS page, same thing I posted above have whomever you trust to handle this crap post a link there and it will also funnel traffic here.

As you start to draw traffic, you can that start to offer unique content by throwing a few posters a bone. Trust me, there are tons of people wanting to share their opinions.

Just some suggestions. You don't even need a dedicated webmaster, just someone who can spin a good yarn, summary an article nicely, and even being a little controversial.

Till next time  Heart

This all seems pretty reasonable to me.

A forum site with a lot of members dissecting the news posted from other sites would have the inherent advantage of not having to suck up to the review staff off the site.

Let's face it- all the reviews are pretty much the same because everyone gets the same press kit and advice how to bench.

I also agree on the "Babel Tech Reviews" thing. Whoever owns Alien Babel Tech probably has copyright infringement on the other.

Edit:
Actually, that could be your niche for content Dave. You could make a front page that links all the other reviews and then has a link to our discussions of the products. You don't need to waste time watching benchmarks run, people can debate here.
I don't think Dave and apoppin are going to get anywhere by suing one another. IIRC it was apoppin who came up with the ABT name in the first place. AFAIK Dave owns the domain.

I personally would have named BTR something completely different. I think Mark likes the word "babel", *shrug*.
(03-18-2015, 01:18 AM)SickBeast Wrote:  I think Mark likes the word "babel", *shrug*.

What about "Baby Tech Reviews"? No copyright infringement, keeps the general sound of the original so all the long time members and readers feel comfortable with it.

Not to mention, everyone loves babies, has more positive connotations.
I don't see how he has infringed on anything if he came up with the name himself. Dave may own the domain name but if Mark came up with the ABT name then it's his intellectual property, is it not? I'm certainly not a lawyer. Tongue
(03-18-2015, 04:54 AM)SickBeast Wrote: I don't see how he has infringed on anything if he came up with the name himself.  Dave may own the domain name but if Mark came up with the ABT name then it's his intellectual property, is it not?  I'm certainly not a lawyer. Tongue

As someone who has had to fight (and thankfully won), it doesn't matter who "thought of the idea" first. What matters is who is it registered under, and if there was an agreement to share the name, what exactly was the agreement.

I'm not encouraging either to sue, more so, if either site does become popular and someone is bitter enough, the names are so remarkably close there are grounds for some kind of foul play.

EA Sued Mojang over the word "Scrolls."

Candy King (or whatever they are called) has sued over the word "Saga."

Don't forget Langdell who went sue happy and basically kept himself alive on royalties for the word "Edge."

"Babel Tech" appears in both names, that is more than just a coincidence. I wonder if Mark had to keep a similar name to keep his partner/contracts with AIBs.
Well I think that apoppin has completely moved on from this place. If Dave wants to sue him he can I guess, but they haven't shared with us the details of their initial agreement. I don't think they even have anything in writing, at least as far as I know. That would really complicate either of them suing each other.
(03-16-2015, 08:43 AM)ocre Wrote: I wish him the best of luck with the BTR. The last thing I will say on the matter sums it up just fine I think. When he was trying to recruit people from the abt to join the BTR forums, he was saying that he had some secret, special, neutral, and fair unnamed mod that was not him. Of course, I thought it very suspicious and wasnt buying it. Then I hear that this secret, neutral and just mod was apoppin himself....

Come on now!

Ocre, is the re-direct still taking you to a contest in 2009???
16 Registered Users

7 Active Users
0 Registrations Today
0 Awaiting Activation

Well Ocre never replied if the redirect is taking him to the 2009 contest.

I'm thinking about deleting the 9 users that have not made any posts.
(03-25-2015, 03:18 AM)dmcowen674 Wrote: 16 Registered Users

7 Active Users
0 Registrations Today
0 Awaiting Activation

Wow, we are a small group.

DAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNN Apoppin!

More people used to post here. :(

I wouldn't zap registered people, they have more chance to post than random people. And who knows? They might be good people.

My $.02
I second Rollo, keep the registered people. How many people does Trollpoppin have on BTR now?
Valve hater, Nintendo hater, Microsoft defender, AMD hater, Google Fiber hater, 4K lover, net neutrality lover.

7 Active Users
0 Registrations Today
0 Awaiting Activation

Good idea. They can always re-register if they truly want to be a part of these forums.

Most of the empty accounts are likely parking spots for spammers.
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin

7 Active Users
0 Registrations Today
0 Awaiting Activation

It is still whacked. I would take a screen shot but am short on time.

"
Uncategorized

ABT Announces our first Contest –
“Name our Mascot” . . . Enter Free
for your chance to Win great HW
Prizes!

by apoppin · April 4, 2009
"

this is the URL after the redirect:
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/abt-annou...hw-prizes/

I am using Firefox.

sorry i havent got back with you on this. But it is still the same.
I use Firefox at home and work. That is so strange. Anyone else seeing this happen?
This is what I get in both Firefox & IE. That bluray review has been the top article since the site was brought back up from the crash for me.

[Image: ABTFrontpage.jpg]
Adam knew he should have bought a PC but Eve fell for the marketing hype.

Homeopathy is what happened when snake oil salesmen discovered that water is cheaper than snake oil.

The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it. -- George Carlin
That's the page I get.