HW requirements for S3D/3D Vision
Hardware and System Requirements
NVIDIA GeForce cards have been capable of driving 120Hz for some time using dual-link DVI, however LCD displays up to now have not been capable of accepting this refresh rate. All existing GeForce 8 series and higher GPUs support dual-link DVI. Where a 120Hz display really shines is when running a top title on a GeForce 8800 GT or higher, 9600 GT or higher, or GTX 200, 400 or 500 series card.
Nvidia’s 3D Vision Kit includes:
- One pair of Nvidia 3D Vision active shutter glasses with storage pouch, adjustable nose pieces, and microfiber cleaning cloth
- Nvidia 3D Vision USB controller/IR emitter
- Custom 5’ VESA stereo to 2.5 mm stereo audio plug cable
- 10’ DVI to HDMI™ cable
- 10’ USB 2.0 type A to 5-pin mini-B cable
- 6’ recharge cable (USB Type A to 5-pin mini Type B)
- Quick start guide
- Installation CD
3D Vision Minimum System Requirements
- Microsoft® Windows® Vista 32/64-bit or Windows 7 32/64-bit
- Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Athlon™ X2 CPU or higher
- 1GB of system memory. (2GB is recommended)
- 100 MB free disk space
Test Configuration – Hardware:
- Intel Core i7 920 (reference 2.66 GHz and overclocked to 3.2 and 3.8 GHz); Turbo is on.
- Gigabyte EX58-UD3R (Intel X58 chipset, latest BIOS, PCIe 2.0 specification; CrossFire/SLI 16x+16x).
- 6 GB OCZ DDR3 PC 18000 Kingston RAM (3×2 GB, tri-channel at PC 1600 speeds; 2×2 GB supplied by Kingston)
- Nvidia GTX 580 (1.5 GB, reference clocks), supplied by Nvidia
- Nvidia GTX 590 (3 GB, reference clocks), supplied by Nvidia
- Galaxy GTX 560 Ti (1 GB, reference clocks) supplied by Galaxy
- EVGA GTX 550 Ti (1 GB, factory reference clocks) supplied by EVGA
- Onboard Realtek Audio
- 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 hard drive
- Thermaltake ToughPower 775 W power supply unit supplied by Thermaltake
- Thermaltake Element G Case supplied by Thermaltake
- Noctua NH-U12-P SE2 CPU cooler, supplied by Noctua
- Philips DVD SATA writer
- 3 ASUS VG236H 120Hz 3D Vision ready 1920×1080 23″ displays, supplied by Nvidia/ASUS
- 2 – 3D Vision Wireless Kits (glasses/emitter) supplied by Nvidia ( we and our guests appreciated the extra consideration – thank-you!)
Test Configuration – Software
- Eighty games tested; (five games, supplied by Nvidia: i.e. Duke Nukem Forever, Bulletstorm, Alice: Madness Returns, Dungeon Siege III, and Super Street Fighter IV Arcade, edition).
- Nvidia GeForce WHQL 275.33 and 280.26
- Windows 7 64-bit; very latest updates
- DirectX July/November 2010
- All games are fully patched and updated
- vsync is forced off in the control panel but this does not apply to 3D Vision as it is forced by the 3D drivers.
- Varying AA enabled including FXAA and FSAA; some settings downgraded or disabled to get the best 3D effect
- All results show average, minimum and maximum frame rates except as noted.
- Highest quality sound (stereo) used.
Let’s see how our PC performs with 3D Vision and 3D Vision Surround: